Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchases a new toyota tundra cm with the 5.7. I am new to this forum and here is my first long winded thread. I have run a handful of fuel tanks through the truck now and I can say that I am pretty happy. most have been from high 16 mpg to 17 mpg. My last tank I got 18.8 mpg which was maybe 80% highway and a couple trips to town and back. the other tanks were about half of it city driving and half of it highway driving between 65 and 70. I have been driving the truck very nice but not so easy as to be slowing down traffic. Still though probably smoother and nicer than most people drive. I like the truck very well so far and am pleasantly surprised by my milage. Now, I have no doubt in my mind that if I were to get on the throttle a bit more, ripped up to speeds quickly and what not, milage would tank. I used to drive like that when I was in my teens and early 20's but the thrill of burning up gas that quickly has faded.
Any how, I work for a major air tanker company that uses aircraft to drop retardant on fires. We drive chevy 3/4 ton gas 6.0 trucks, which by the way weigh in pretty much identically with what the tundra weighs in the high 7,000 range. Pretty similar trucks as far as motor size and truck size. I have driven our company chevy's more than 100,000 miles and at least 10 different trucks. I have just heard on this forum and other forums people complaining and asking why tundras don't get the fuel milage that fords or chevy's do. Well here is what I have seen with our company trucks driving them the same way I do my personal truck. Combined city and highway driving with the truck empty you will see about 13 mpg or so. Pure city driving less than 10. The best I have ever seen is about 18mpg pure highway with speeds less than 70. We pull trailers all around the country with us and then leave the trailer at the tanker base while we are their and use the trucks to get around town and back and forth to the hotel. I have driven them across the country as well just to go help out with maintenance on a certain aircraft. we tow about 5000 lb 14 ft wells cargo trailers. they weigh about 5000-6000 lbs with all the airplane parts in it. We see about 5-11 mpg towing. 11 mpg is rare you must have a good tail wind if you are getting that kind of milage with these trucks and 7 mpg is more the standard. I have also seen people post that tundras don't ride as well as other trucks. These chevy's have a soft ride empty but with the trailer behind you it is more like a ship at high seas. They are to soft and pretty much start a swaying motion up and down at any small bump where they trailer drives the back of the truck down and then it comes back up. it pretty much never stops while towing unless you are on a perfectly smooth highway. And no our trailers are not too tongue heavy or light either its just the way these chevy's are built. We also have a 1 ton dully we use to haul big radial engines and jets around the country and it rides ok pulling a much bigger trailer and is sprung much heavier but I am really not impressed with their 3/4 ton's. In conclusion I really like my tundra a lot better than those chevy's. To each his own I guess, but I really do feel the the fuel milage numbers chevy is posting are a real crock of you know what. Driving styles do have a lot to do with things though. I have a neighbor that has a 2014 tundra and he says that he has a combined mpg of more like 13, but he admits that his foot is into it pretty good most of the time. I have another friend who sees 20 mpg with his tundra on the highway as long as he drives it 65-70. Any how I just figured I would write something up on my experiences. hope this might help someone

·
Registered
84 Posts
Paragraphs come in handy...try it next time! :D

I'm contemplating buying a '15 Tundra 5.7L....if I got your 16-18.8 mpg I would be absolutely ecstatic :tu:

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Good post MT. Its good to see someone who has been on both sides of the fence and will post honest info.
How was the reliability side with the Chevy's?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reliability has been ok up to 100,000 miles. We trade most of our trucks off at that time. We have had two or three engine replacements under warranty and a half dozen or so transmissions that I know of in the last 6 years. A few emissions related issues and so forth. That's out of a fleet of maybe 12 trucks. So I wouldn't call it stellar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Heres how my experience goes. I owned a Chevy with 5.3 and loved the truck . Fuel mileage was average 16 mixed , but mostly city. I tow frequent 20-30 times per year. I have two trailers , one approx. 6500 and one 8500 lbs. I never towed the larger one with the 5.3 , truck struggled enough with the 6500lb trailer. Chevy 5.3 averaged 5-10 mpg depending on terrain towed. I traded the 5.3 for a 2500 HD 6.0. At first I really loved the towing difference and the fact that it felt like a mans truck. 6.0 averaged 10.3 same driving locations as 5.3 and when towing 6-8mpg with either trailer. After about a year I traded the 2500 for the Tundra CM 5.7. by the way all three trucks were CM style. The tundra is averaging 14.4 and 6-9 when towing either trailer. The tundra pulls that amount of weight better than the 2500 6.0. The 2500 handles the weight better, but all three trucks suck fuel when towing. But wait there's more for you Ford guys. I happen to own a company that allows me the privilege of driving on a daily basis Ford , Chevy , and Dodge. I drive them all from 1/2 tons to 1 ton trucks. I have to take note of the mileage of the vehicles which allows me to see the average mpg on all the ones traded in these three dealerships. The F150 5.0 I see average 16-17 mpg average. 3.5 Ecoboost average 14-15, id say 90 percent of them. Some will be higher depending on driving but never have I seen one above 18 and that's out of approx. a thousand trucks. Dodge guys, 5.7 seem to average 16-19.
I did tow with the Ecoboost , max tow package the 6500lb trailer , same route back to back with the Tundra and the Ford averaged 1mpg more 9 and the Tundra was 8. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I owned a Silverado prior to my 13 CrewMax. The Silverado was a 1/2 ton extended cab with a 4.8l V8. The CrewMax is the 5.7L. While I do think the ride quality of the Chevy was better, I get the same (or slightly better) fuel economy with the CrewMax, and I get another 96 HP to boot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tundras are not bought for the mpg ratings although they are reasonable. I believe they are bought for there reliability, functionality and resale value. Jmho

·
Registered
112 Posts
I owned a 2016 Ram for about a year and it regularly got 18 mpg mixed city/hwy. I got 21 mpg on a trip to Florida and 20 mpg on a trip to Va. It was really a nice truck, I traded it for a BMW 535 because I thought I could do without a truck...Man was I wrong!!!! I ended up getting a 05 2wd DC Tundra XSP about 2 months ago since I use to own a 2000 Tundra Limited 4wd for16 years. Kept my BMW since the I got the Tundra at such a good price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts