Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
In acceleration, maybe, but '"smokes the Chevy in all categories"? Did you read the article?

Steering:
"...we appreciated the Silverado's steering quickness, weight, and feel, plus its tauter response..."
"Although some felt it was a bit light, the Toyota's steering (its wheel tilts and telescopes) gets points as well, because it has a turning diameter almost three feet smaller than the Chevy..."

Handling:
"During most of the handling tests, the Silverado was the traction king"
"...they wrestled with traction-control nannies that shut down engine power." (About the Tundra)
"...an impressive 6.0-second 0-to-60 time for the Tundra; unfortunately, it was at the risk of grenading the transfer case..." (About the Tundra)
"the Silverado won the slalom and figure-eight contests"

MPG
"On level highway, the Tundra's drivetrain delivered better efficiency, averaging 1.0 mpg better than the Silverado's."

Off-Road
The Tundra had better approach angles.
"The Silverado felt more balanced and less nose-heavy than the Tundra."
"On the hillclimb and stair step, the G80 locking differential proved more useful than the Tundra's electronic traction control"
"TRD Tundra was in its element here, with lots of controlled suspension travel and good on-center steering response..."
"This doesn't mean the Toyota is faultless, as that rear-axle hop can easily catch you at the wrong moment and send the tail wagging before you can countersteer."

Ergonomics
"Overall, the Tundra didn't equal the Chevy's simple and stylish design, but it's easier to get into a comfortable driving position in the Toyota."

Towing
"(neither of these vehicles had the maximum towing capacity option packages); we'll address hauling and towing in Round 3."

Pricing
"...without accurate pricing information, we don't feel it would be right to call a winner at this stage, so we'll have to draw this out just a little longer. ... It may all come down to pricing."

Sounds to me like both had thier pluses and minuses, but I'm still waiting to see a good comparison with 2 comparibly-equiped trucks (ie, Z71 vs. TRD, Max Towing package on the Silverado vs. 5.7, etc...). Hopefully the CrewMax comparison mentioned in the article that's on tap for next month will have a CM TRD against a Z71 w/ Max Trailering pkg., since that's what I'm looking at.

I'm not trying to put down the Tundra - actually, I like it alot, but am comparison shopping these two trucks, and in my research so far, I'm just saying the Silverado/Sierra might not be all that much less of a truck than some around here want to believe.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
See the other exact post I made in your other exact thread about this. Motor Trend did the same and chose the Chevy. Motor Trend = Truck Trend. Pleasing all your sponsors anyone?

I test drove both and chose which i felt best suited me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The current issue of trucktrend is on the newstands, and I agree with there final verdict that the tundra is a better value than the sierra. Read the article before you pass judgement. I test drove both of them, not only does the tundra out spec the sierra, i found it to also be a better ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
In round three (and final) of the comparison which just came out in news stands this was the final comments:

GMC Sierra SLT 1500 Ext cab 4x4 6L motor vs.
Toyota Tundra Double cab Ltd 4x4 5.7L motor

"With the GMC equipped for family recreation as tested, its price advantage of a few hundred dollars, more appealing interior package, and greater load capacity aren't enough to overcome the Tundra's superior powertrain performance, safety equipment, larger cabin, and better fuel economy in every situation. The third time is indeed a charm for Toyota, as this third-generation full-size pickup has set the benchmark another notch."

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts