Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2008 Tundra DC Ltd 4x4. I go away for three weeks at a time for work. When I return home from work, I start the truck with no problems. However, if I leave it for another day or so after starting it, the battery will be dead. On one return trip, I started the truck with no problems, drove across town to the dealership to discuss this very problem, and when I came out, the battery was dead. This has happened now on three different occassions. The truck has been back to the dealership three times. They have load tested the battery, checked the alternator and checked to see if there is something dragging the battery down. Everything is within spec. Bottom line, nothing has been changed, so I still have a truck that could possibly leave me stranded. I want them to replace the battery to try something to fix this problem. They won't replace it because they say that there is nothing wrong with it. Please help! I am so frustrated with this truck and Toyota. I would get rid of it, only I would lose my shirt over it. Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I work on electronics on aircraft and we get these intermittent problems just like this. It normally turns out to be a connection somewhere that is broken but making contact sometimes. After sitting the contact will relax into touching but fly it and it heats/vibrates/slides out a little. You need to find someone who knows how to use a multimeter and do some troubleshooting while the problem is present.

That is my experience from aircraft so I may be way off. Good luck!

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
It could be something complicated like that ^^^. But in an older Tacoma I had I had a similar problem. The truck would start fine most of the time and then sometimes I would turn the key and it would be completely dead, ie no lights or anything. Changed the battery but the problem came back. Turned out to be a bad connection on the negative terminal on the battery. The mechanic said that the post on the battery was slightly smaller than the old one so the connection wasn't great. He loosened the clamp that connects to the negative terminal and put a small screw in between the clamp and the terminal and tighted it down and voila never had the problem again. Maybe try disconnecting the negative terminal and make sure that it is clean... Not sure if this will help at all but sounds like it might be the same thing. When it goes dead it is weak or does it go completely dead??

·
Registered
306 Posts
Your dealer is lame and should replace the battery. Bump it up a notch to the regional manager. I'd suspect the battery. Just because it passes a test doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Three visits to the dealer for a dead battery is ridiculous.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Your dealer is lame and should replace the battery. Bump it up a notch to the regional manager. I'd suspect the battery. Just because it passes a test doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Three visits to the dealer for a dead battery is ridiculous.
I agree, especially since they were able to duplicate the problem at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
When you say "dead" battery do you mean that the starter solenoid just clicks? Or do you mean just zero power, lights, everything with no solenoid click? If the batt is completely dead you wouldn't be able to start it ever. Unless something internal to the batt has broken or partially broken. I've seen that before. Try this, next time it won't start remove the tie downs from the batt and shake it a little. If something has broken inside the batt then 1) you might hear it rattle, and 2) it might make contact and start. Then you'd have proof.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Maybe a jealous Ford owner swapped out his P.O.S. 6.7L POWER STROKE for yours! Just sayin.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No aftermarket alarm. Well the dealer finally replaced the battery. Everything seems O.K. for now. I contacted my best buddy who is the service manager at another Toyota dealership that is located in a much bigger centre. He said that it sounds like the battery and that they have ran into the same problem before. They replaced the battery and everything was O.K. When I mentioned that I was talking to my buddy, the dealer agreed to try and change the battery. Hopefully, this fixes my problem.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You'll lose more than your shirt. Good luck and I say push the dealer a little harder.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'll correct my earlier post. While I believe it is the battery, if the vehicle cannot be jump started then it is something else. However, if the vehicle can be jump started, it is most likely the battery. Hopefully, the problem is gone.

Last but not least, not starting the vehicle for three weeks can contribute to the demise of the battery. There are circuits that run in a keep alive mode, and they'll slowly suck the battery down.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I'll correct my earlier post. While I believe it is the battery, if the vehicle cannot be jump started then it is something else. However, if the vehicle can be jump started, it is most likely the battery. Hopefully, the problem is gone.

Last but not least, not starting the vehicle for three weeks can contribute to the demise of the battery. There are circuits that run in a keep alive mode, and they'll slowly suck the battery down.
When I had the problem in my tacoma as stated earlier in this thread, I was having the same symptons and the battery was good. It was the connection between the truck and the negative terminal. Either way I bet this will fix it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts