Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alot of our trucks get almost like a mold on the window seal/trim at bottom of window... any suggestions on bringing that back to just a nice looking black?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
303 works well. Can get it from any boat / marine store.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I never found anything that would effectively bring them back and keep them looking good for more than a few days. It's about fifty something bucks and quite easy to replace both sides. Morepower has an instructional post with good pictures. I did this a while back and found it to be worthwhile. I was able to quit buying stuff to put on them and just get it over with. But, if you find a product that will do this effectively, please post back.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/130188-exterior-front-door-trim-molding/

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
I'll ad to my first post by saying that 303 is simply a good temporary solution. Bama thanks for the other info.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
My trim started peeling, so I ripped it all off and left a somewhat nice looking chrome underneath. I left it like that for a while until recently I sanded it and sprayed a few coats of Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating. Looks much better now for only $6!:tu:

Before

After

·
Registered
2 Posts
My trim started peeling, so I ripped it all off and left a somewhat nice looking chrome underneath. I left it like that for a while until recently I sanded it and sprayed a few coats of Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating. Looks much better now for only $6!:tu:
So how exactly do you remove the window trim? I'd like to paint mine also.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
So how exactly do you remove the window trim? I'd like to paint mine also.

Its held in by clips. All you have to do is pry it up off the door. I used a flat blade. Just be careful not to sratch your door.:tu:

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK I partially pulled the inside door panel off to get a better look at the clips holding the molding/trim piece (I see 5 of them). Will these clips potentially fall down into the abyss when I pry the trim piece off? I just can't figure out how the clips are holding the trim piece on.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
No they should not fall down. Just work the trim off at one end and work your way in. You'll see start to pull up. Once you start you'll see how easy it is. Good luck!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I last month used a magic eraser found in cleaning section at wallyworld. Seemed to clean up the pitting and mold look, made it look like a nice flat black.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
390 Posts
Good thing, I need to do mine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine started flapping in the wind they were so loose. I thought they would peel right off but i have some seriously stubborn areas.
Any ideas on how to get the rest off? Also what paint to you all recommend? I was think of using 3M Rubberized undercoat spray but I'm afraid it will look too textured. Ill look into the Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating. Derek24 job looks pretty good.
IMG_1957.jpg IMG_1958.jpg IMG_1959.jpg IMG_1960.jpg IMG_1961.jpg

Just found this other forum from people who have repaired their peeling trim so I'm adding it to my post.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/231487-window-molding/
My post paint job pictures can be seen there. It looks awesome so check it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts