Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Tundra won't start

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  stevebob191 
#1 ·
Hi, I am new and I am here to tell you the dumb trick I pulled over the last week. First of all, I got home one day, parked my truck and somehow didn't close the door all the way. Come out next day - my battery is drained since that lamp was on all night. In dark I hustle my wife's Nissan to the truck, frantically hook it up to jump start. I hook it up, jump in the seat and turn the key - nothing. At this moment cold sweat hits me as I jump out to double check my hook-up - sure enough, I connected negative lead to positive battery port and positive lead to the engine block. F***! Now I am not getting anywhere fast, lol. I open the Fuse box to make sure - sure enough the Main 120A Fuse toast. That day went to local Toyota dealership and ordered a fuse. Got it today, hook it up, try to jump start with a proper set-up this time - it's turning but won't start. Feels like either no spark or no fuel. Just keeps turning. Before I go messing with either, I thought I would ask what else gets affected/blown when you hook up the jump start the wrong way.
Also, this truck is my first V6 - and I started looking for a distributor to check it (I had few issues with a loose distributor on my old Mazda B2200 that would turn and won't start). I couldn't find one so it dawned upon me that V6 don't even use one. I looked around and noticed something that looks like a computer a chip that says "Igniter". Is the whole ignition computerized in Tundras (starting 2000)?
Anyway, my question is - what could be the reason my Tundra not starting after all the debacle that went on over the last few days.
I appreciate any input.

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you tried pressing the accelerator to the floor a bit while turning the key to clear out the flood of fuel in the intake? I'm sure the manual recommends this -- read the owners manual! :)

And the 1st gen Tundras do not have a distributor, instead they have coils on top of every spark plug instead! :)

Sanosuke!

#4 ·
I'd check the rest of the fuses to make sure that nothing else blew. At least you didn't get smoking like some other people have seen when they did that.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I checked every fuse and 15amp EFI Fuse was out and 15amp Dome (dome light I suppose) Fuse was out. I replaced the EFI fuse with the handy replacement attached to the Fuse Box Cover, but can't check to start it as my wife is out my her Nissan. Have to wait till she gets home. Argh...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.