Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra that I converted to a wrecker that I purchased from a SNAKE in Canada. I have driving this truck for about 50K miles and the rear end went out. I thought no big deal, i will replace with with a 1 ton rear end and the truck will be good as gold. Well we did that and now I am running into issues with Odometer not working, brakes spongy... Which probably wouldnt be a big deal, but it bugs the hell out of me. So, I thought I could just replace the cluster with individual gauges under the dash and "customize" it..

My question.. does anyone know where I can start by getting gauges for this truck and or someone that could possibly create a custom dash? All idea are appreciated. :)

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Lets see this tundra wrecker

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
There has to be more to this story. Just changing the rear end would not cause the speedometer to stop working. The brake problem is most likely a case of not bleeding them properly.

·
Registered
823 Posts
^ very true. i would also like to see pics.

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
There has to be more to this story. Just changing the rear end would not cause the speedometer to stop working. The brake problem is most likely a case of not bleeding them properly.
well theres no telling what kind of conglomeration this truck is...he says he put in a 1 ton rear end...from what? certainly not a 1 ton toyota tundra......

·
Registered
859 Posts
1 ton of something. I mean 'off something'. Or maybe I mean 'of' after all.....

They both say something really.....

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I wonder if he hooked up the rear speed sensors, or for that matter if his "new" rear end even has them.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Why would you buy one in Canada then bring it down to Arizona?
Tundra's are probably $10K cheaper in Arizona...

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's not clear what you actually did to your tundra.. Give us some more information.. What are the specs on your truck? Which engine do you have? 4.7.. 4.0.. 5.7..

Maybe he did one of the following to his truck

1. He installed an actual 1 Ton rear axle assembly from a Ford, Dodge or Chevrolet.. Possibly a 14 Bolt, Dana 60, Dana 70 etc..

2. He was sold a rear end (differential only) and was told that it was a Toyota 1 Ton diff..

As far as the speedometer not working properly.. Maybe you nicked one of the heads of the rear speed sensors in the process of pulling the axles out to replace the diff. Either that, or the harness took a hit.

Is your ABS light on? Check for DTC's and go from there.. Also, if you replaced the differential, you probably disconnected the rear brake lines. Bleed the brake system again. Some people don't pinch off the line when removing axles and the brake fluid reservoir goes dry, making it That much more difficult to bleed properly.

Lastly.. If you have drastically different sized tires.. Your abs light will come on and speedometer "may" not work.

Good luck!
Jake

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Odd first post. If you just want to scab something together under the dash, you can get individual gauges from summit, jegs, etc. For something a little nicer, you can make a custom panel to replace the gauge cluster and contact these guys:Dakota Digital - Digital Instrumentation and Accessories
Unless the 08 Tundra is different from other vehicles, the ABS sensors have nothing to do with the speedo/odometer. A damaged/unplugged/missing sensor will turn on the ABS light. Although the ABS won't work, the brakes will still work fine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I spoke with this guy a year or so ago. I took pics of it and posted them then. He bought the truck from canada and it had been a nightmare because the people that built it into a wrecker did a bad job. The truck looks bad arse! It has twenty inch wheels with duel wheels on back. the adapters were out of round if I remember correctly. he said they took out the AC compressor to make way for the hydraulic pump. The truck is black so it's kind of warm inside. I remember he said it pulled better then any wrecker he ever had.

As for the rear end I would bet he got a chevy or ford one ton rear end and put it in so he could get away from the custom adapters.

I may be where he found TS from. My first few years I was preaching the gospel of TS to every tundra owner I met

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I spoke with this guy a year or so ago. I took pics of it and posted them then.
I quickly scanned through your 100 posts and didn't see anything. Did you post the pics on this forum? If so would you mind finding them, it seems to be what everyone is looking for...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
A Tundra wrecker??? Humm, now that is interesting. A diesel Tundra? A dually Tundra? I guess some things in life just arn't meant to be for the working man.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts