Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Its a dam shame that toyota is backing out of the NUMMI plant in Fremont CA. Toyota should just buy the GM part and keeps building Tacoma's there.

I guess the next best place would be in TX were the tundras are made.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
The article talks about issues getting the Tundra production line to build Tacos. How about offering the 4.6 and 5.7 in the Taco....two birds!! :heh:

·
Registered
40 Posts
The article talks about issues getting the Tundra production line to build Tacos. How about offering the 4.6 and 5.7 in the Taco....two birds!! :heh:
Because the Taco is too small.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Its a dam shame that toyota is backing out of the NUMMI plant in Fremont CA. Toyota should just buy the GM part and keeps building Tacoma's there.

And factor in the costs to build in CA vs. TX to understand why they made that decision. I live in both states so personal opinion alone answers that question, unfortunately. What's more unfortunate is the employees of NUMMI affected by global economic downturn.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes yes but the truck itself is too small....tiny in size....at least for my needs. I can't speak for others. But there's no way I could have used a Taco the way I use my Tundra. I need bed space and lots of it. First real work for my Tundra was hauling two Ninja sportbikes in NorCal. Taco might be able to do it but they just wouldn't fit. The Tundra just ate em up and it was like nothing was in there.

·
Premium Member
5,456 Posts
Yes yes but the truck itself is too small....tiny in size....at least for my needs. I can't speak for others. But there's no way I could have used a Taco the way I use my Tundra. I need bed space and lots of it. First real work for my Tundra was hauling two Ninja sportbikes in NorCal. Taco might be able to do it but they just wouldn't fit. The Tundra just ate em up and it was like nothing was in there.
But think about it! Can you picture driving a Taco RCSB with a 5.7 SC engine in it. You would have to make twice as may trips and you wouldn't care at all!!:D:D:D

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Taco RCSB with a 5.7 SC engine in it.
Heh. This is a language I can understand. :heh:

I know what she is saying though. I measured the box of the Taco when I was thinking about buying. My Raptor (ATV) would only fit if I dragged the front wheels over the fenderwell humps on the Taco, whereas with the Tundra it would just slide in. :tu:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Heh. This is a language I can understand. :heh:

I know what she is saying though. I measured the box of the Taco when I was thinking about buying. My Raptor (ATV) would only fit if I dragged the front wheels over the fenderwell humps on the Taco, whereas with the Tundra it would just slide in. :tu:
In all honesty, would have gotten a Taco if I had a trailer but the whole reason I went truck shopping was to haul. Almost seems like Toyota needs a "tweener" but not too likely to happen.

BTW - Tacos can haul....I saw a guy with some type of snowmobile hanging out of his back in December and was shocked.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I see it differently. You say Toyota backed out, I say they had little choice but to leave one of (if not the) most business unfriendly states in the country. High taxes, high labor & benefit costs, high distribution costs, high cost of living, regulatory climate, UAW, environmental lunacy and a state government that could care less whether they stay or leave. I think Toyota might have tried to make a go of it if they thought they could ever make a nickel there but with the other options available to them and it would have been foolish for them to stay. Think about it....if it made any sense to be in CA why did GM/Obama administration pull the plug on NUMMI and leave Toyota holding the bag, knowing that it was entirely likely that they would be forced to shut it down?

This is very unfortunate for the 5K+ NUMMI employees and many suppliers and their employees who are now (or will soon be) out of work but good news for the state of Texas (one of the most business friendly states) and its' residents.

·
Registered
420 Posts

they announced that a few days ago, it was inevitable. Toyo had original plans of bilding a second plant in SA, this was a few years ago, with the slow production of the tundra it makes perfect sense, that way they don't have to send their workers on landscaping duties again.

As for the why did they shut down the calif plant, why keep the only union toyo plant working. Unions kill profit, productivity and generally quality. And please don't ever refer o Texas as the next best thing to calif, that's just an insult to all texans. :)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Oh Yea, this is a sweet deal for Toyota & I guarentee Texas wasn't Toyota 2nd choice. They are more than able an happy to make this move. The San Antinio plant will have little problems taking over prodution of the tacoma.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I see it differently. You say Toyota backed out, I say they had little choice but to leave one of (if not the) most business unfriendly states in the country. High taxes, high labor & benefit costs, high distribution costs, high cost of living, regulatory climate, UAW, environmental lunacy and a state government that could care less whether they stay or leave. I think Toyota might have tried to make a go of it if they thought they could ever make a nickel there but with the other options available to them and it would have been foolish for them to stay. Think about it....if it made any sense to be in CA why did GM/Obama administration pull the plug on NUMMI and leave Toyota holding the bag, knowing that it was entirely likely that they would be forced to shut it down?

This is very unfortunate for the 5K+ NUMMI employees and many suppliers and their employees who are now (or will soon be) out of work but good news for the state of Texas (one of the most business friendly states) and its' residents.
I can sum this up quite succinctly by just saying screw California. Californians have made their bed so to speak, now they get to sleep in it.

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
Thangs are tight and getting worse, the biggest welfare state is now in the worst shape.
That biggest welfare state is a reflection of what is happening in the rest of this country unless (We) the people wake up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok so no need to go slamming the state. It has great people and I love Cali for what it is but realistically just refused to establish residency or ever think of permanent relocation. But it is ridiculous how much things cost and bottom line is that the advantages people used to see out there are far gone. Toyota is wise and saw it too. Can't fault a business for doing what businesses should do best - make a profit! So hoorah and welcome all Tacos to TX.....cuz everything is bigger!!!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Just like the LIBERALS that are littered in Washington!!

Heaven help us and like the song says, GOD BLESS TEXAS!

But we do feel for the CALI workers, hire some down here if jobs are open in S.A., WHY NOT WERE ALL AMERICANS AFTER ALL!

I don't think there's a state more disliked than calif, the shame of it is it's a pretty state, it's just littered with liberals.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ok so no need to go slamming the state. It has great people and I love Cali for what it is but realistically just refused to establish residency or ever think of permanent relocation. But it is ridiculous how much things cost and bottom line is that the advantages people used to see out there are far gone. Toyota is wise and saw it too. Can't fault a business for doing what businesses should do best - make a profit! So hoorah and welcome all Tacos to TX.....cuz everything is bigger!!!
I've lived in California while in the USMC. There are plenty of good reasons to slam the state of California. All of the people are reasonably nice, unfortunately from what I can tell about 75% of them are idiots. Given the condition of your state's economy, education system, and government I would say that my assessment is sadly pretty accurate.

Move if you can! You can form a complete sentence and even write it down, so you're smart enough to read the writing on the wall. Get out while you can!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts