49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SSA Tuned Supercharged 5.7L Tundra Results

As promised...

Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
Mods: TRD Supercharger w/ TRD Reflash
Before: 406 whp / 435 wtq - OEM TRD Flash
After: 436 whp / 474 wtq - SSA Dyno Tuned

Over 50whp and 50 wtq gained in the midrange!!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
So your getting pinging running 87 octane NA power under dyno conditions?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So your getting pinging running 87 octane NA power under dyno conditions?
Under loaded test conditions, with the ambient temperature around 95 degrees, on our dyno, with a mix of 89 oct / 93 oct fuel in the tank as provided by the customer, audible pinging can be heard. This was on the naturally aspirated Tundra I posted results for in the other thread. The knock was most audible during tip in and gradually diminished later in the pull. After the tune, no knock was heard. Also, quite a bit of timing was pulled before any significant loss of power was recorded. This also suggests there was more timing than necessary present before the tune. Results may vary from truck to truck and we will share the information we find as it becomes available.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Wow, so if your seeing pinging with a mix of 89/93 then I imagine it would be present with the standard 87 octane most folks run under any loaded condition really. Would it be your opinion that these engines(at least the 5.7) under loaded conditions(towing/hard driving) should not be run on 87 octane fuel?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, so if your seeing pinging with a mix of 89/93 then I imagine it would be present with the standard 87 octane most folks run under any loaded condition really. Would it be your opinion that these engines(at least the 5.7) under loaded conditions(towing/hard driving) should not be run on 87 octane fuel?
It's pretty common for factory vehicles to ping and really not anything to be concerned about. The factory ECUs in late model cars all react very quickly and are adaptive. The Tundras actually have several knock sensors (I believe 4?) that the computer uses to constantly modify timing. But, it is important to note that any knock detected by the computer will result in ignition being pulled, fuel to be increased, and thus power and economy to go down. I really only mentioned it to insure that any comparisons between stock gains and tuned gains take fuel octane into consideration. A pull with low octane fuel under loaded test parameters that cause pinging will result in much lower numbers than can be otherwise obtained from the test vehicle. Perhaps the reason for the amount of timing is related to emissions, but that's just an idea that I can't support with any data at this point.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
confused.
the chart shows a trd supercharger but you mention 89/93 octane.why?
The post above asked a question probably related to something I posted in another thread so I answered. It doesn't have anything to do with the vehicle tested in the original post. 93 oct was used on the SC vehicle.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The post above asked a question probably related to something I posted in another thread so I answered. It doesn't have anything to do with the vehicle tested in the original post. 93 oct was used on the SC vehicle.
I just asked it based on his post in the original tuning thread. I realize timing will pulled but under normal circumstances you want to use the highest octane fuel that does not give audible pinging. Its different if the sensors are picking up some minor pinging but audible pinging is never a good thing.

Didn't mean to derail this thread, will PM you if I have any more questions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for clarification cchang52.
do you have the a/f chart to go with this supercharger pulls?
Yes, but we won't be posting it publically for competitive reasons. It's really nothing special if you know what you're doing. But, in all fairness, we do make our livings off of this data.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
It's really nothing special, but we won't be posting it publically for competitive reasons.
This has to be the lamest sh*t I've read in days. Obviously it's special.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
:beatsme::confuseda::dizzy::gossip::tape2::mop:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Since I don't see Chris online. He's located in Houston, TX and you're looking at about $1k including the piggy back unit.

edit:
Oh and thanks for sharing that Chris, looks good!

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
This has to be the lamest sh*t I've read in days. Obviously it's special.
It's really not that special - just leaning out in the midband until you get a good safe A/F ratio that isn't excessively rich at full throttle. Click on the link in my sig for charts for a tuned SC 5.7 including A/F ratios...

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
It's really not that special - just leaning out in the midband until you get a good safe A/F ratio that isn't excessively rich at full throttle. Click on the link in my sig for charts for a tuned SC 5.7 including A/F ratios...
I was being sarcastic. Forgot to put the rolleyes smiley in there lol.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
BUMP

Anyone else ever have their Tundra tuned at this place? Or is anyone interested? Be cool if we could get a group buy going and maybe save a little money.

·
Registered
295 Posts
BUMP

Anyone else ever have their Tundra tuned at this place? Or is anyone interested? Be cool if we could get a group buy going and maybe save a little money.

I would love to get both of my tundras tuned. Are they tuning the Unichip? And how much does it cost for the tune?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yeah they use the Unichips and $550 for the initial tune. Haven't read anything about the place and as soon as I get everything else set I'll be going there to get my headers installed and a tune.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts