Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw A Guy Working In The Woods Today With A New Silver Tundra By The Road. I Had To Stop And Talkto Him, And He Came Out And Started Telling Me How Much He Liked It. It Still Had Some Lime Caked On The Sides And Said He Hauled Two Loads Yesterday. One Weighed 1.5 Tons And The Other 1.2 Tons. He Said IT Carried It Like A Dream, Much Better Than His 2002 Chev Which Had An Extra Leaf In It As Well.

He Told A Long Story About The Chev HE HAD And The Salesman He Had Dealt With For Many Years Who Beat The Tundra Price By 3 Grand. He Told The Guy He SpenT 7 Grand On The Chev In One Summer When It Only Had 100,000 Miles On It. He Told Him It's Not You, It's The Product And He Told Him He Was Going To Toyota.

Typical Story.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Sorry, but I don't believe it...not without beefing up the suspension.

I had Lowes attempt to load a 3500 pound pallet of 16" retaining wall blocks in the back of mine yesterday. Needless to say, it didn't look good so I had them remove the pallet immidiately. The rear dropped to the stops and the back tires were so squashed, I thought they were going to pop. I almost cried:cry: . I had to go back over to work and pick up our box truck.

It will not handle a ton and a half, no way.:td:

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
OK, now I just reread your post, did you say he did have an add-a-leaf?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HIS 2002 CHEV HAD THE EXTRA LEAF.

FORESTRY CONTRACTORS AND FARMERS DON'T LOOK AT THE SPRINGS, THEY JUST LOAD THEM UP AND GO. MY FRIEND WHO IS A BRICK LAYER HAD 3 TON OF SAND OF HIS DODGE DIESEL A FEW YEARS BACK. HE SOLD IT TO MY COUSIN AND THE TRANNY WENT IN IT IN APRIL. btw, IT IS A 1995 AND HAS OVER 400,000 MILES ON IT.

LIME IS SOLD BY WEIGHT SO THE WEIGHT WAS ACCURATE, NOT A GUESS. MAYBE THAT;S WHAT KILLED THE CHEV

HE ALSO HAS 10 PLY TIRES ON IT FOR THE WOODS WHICH HE SAID WERE $300. EACH OF COURSE THIS IN IN CAN DOLLARS SO ABOUT 250 US

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Yeah, kind of sounds like he is on the road to ruining his truck.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

If you saw the guy I don't think you would tell him to his face, his hands were like twice the size of mine.

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
I believe it!

I had over 2,200lbs in my old 2000 Tundra 4x4 QC and it hauled it ok. The suspension would hit the bump stops at every little bump, but it did it. I once had 3,850lbs in the back of my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3,500 in the back of my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. 3,000 in the back of the new Tundra is possilbe but not the best decision!

If you are involved in an accident with an over loaded truck you may be at fault and if the truck is damaged due to exceeding max payload you will get stuck with the bill. I saw a guy in a F150 with at least 3,000lbs of wet dirt in the bed he was on the side of the road with two rear tires blown out. Another reason why I run "D" or "E" rated tires. :D

·
Banned
888 Posts
Whats that got to do with payload ? :rolleyes:
Ever seen a little guy whip a big guys @$$ ?
I have Plenty of times LOL!!

Anyway..... 1.5 or 1.2 neither = 3500 lbs
Put 1.5 which is **2500lbs** in the back and it will support and haul the load and for all the "Saftey Tards"

Do it SAFELY !

If you saw the guy I don't think you would tell him to his face, his hands were like twice the size of mine.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
A ton in my book has always been 2000 lbs.

I think that would make 1.5 tons equal to 3000 lbs?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had 6 bags of cement (45kg each) in the back part of the bed, and I could feel them being there. While we had a yard of sand in the back of a 3,500 doolley diesel, and I could barely feel it.

I think that loading the tundra with 3,000lbs in the back is a not a good idea.

On a similiar note: I've read that Ford is launch its "high load" version of the F-150 which will have a 3,000lbs payload capacity. That being said, the frame is still a 1/2 ton ... which means they only beefed up the suspension. In this case if the Tundra will have upgrade leafs and shocks, I see no problem of it hauling something close to 3,000lbs. I think I might do that down the road if I feel its not upto par with my needs.

Good luck gents.

·
Banned
888 Posts
2 Pallets of St. Augustine sod weighed just over the 1.5 mark the other day and my truck carried it just fine,squatted abit but still very well handled.Just because you tag the bump stops doesnt mean your pushing your luck.
For you tire smoke fans ....... YES it will still smoke'em fully loaded :D
Truck abuse ? YOU BET YA !!! LOL!! :devil:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sounds like that guy is hard on his trucks. If he spent $7,000 in one summer on his Chevy, I'd say it won't be long before he's spending big money on his Tundra if that's what he uses his trucks for. Using a half ton for that type of work on a regular basis isn't ideal and eventually the truck will let you know that.

·
Banned
888 Posts
If the trucks cant handle being abused then Toyo will have to adjust their [email protected]$$ meter just a few notch's lower.BUT ! everytime Ive pushed the limit(s)
ITS FREAKIN BEEN THERE !!! and didnt whine abit :tu:
I wish I had a way to do a video,its pretty cool to see only the tops of sod pallets in all the smoke :eek: :eek:

:cool:

·
Registered
107 Posts

I had Lowes attempt to load a 3500 pound pallet of 16" retaining wall blocks in the back of mine yesterday. Needless to say, it didn't look good so I had them remove the pallet immidiately. The rear dropped to the stops and the back tires were so squashed, I thought they were going to pop. I almost cried:cry: . I had to go back over to work and pick up our box truck.

What made you think your pickup could handle 1.75 tons? Nearly twice it's rated
capacity?

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
What made you think your pickup could handle 1.75 tons? Nearly twice it's rated
capacity?
I thought the weight on the side of the pallet was wrong. I figured a little over loaded would be ok, I only had a block to go. When the rear end hit the stops and had zero suspension, no bounce at all, I decided no way, not on my new truck. I didn't realize it was going to weight that much and didn't want to make 2 trips, ended up making 2 anyway.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm glad you didn't blow out the tires! If I had to bring home a load like that, I think I would just rent the flatbed truck from them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
2 Pallets of St. Augustine sod weighed just over the 1.5 mark the other day and my truck carried it just fine,squatted abit but still very well handled.Just because you tag the bump stops doesnt mean your pushing your luck.
For you tire smoke fans ....... YES it will still smoke'em fully loaded :D
Truck abuse ? YOU BET YA !!! LOL!! :devil:
If you are hitting your bumpstops on little bumps, that big bump you didn't miss might bend the axle tubes, break the axle itsef, bend the leaf srings, ect.. I see people all the time with their truck way over loaded, bumper almost touching the road front all up in the air. That's bull ****, endangering everyone's life on the road with them, because they are to stupid and think if the truck can phyisicly hold it, it can drive with it. Not calling you stupid TNK, not at all. But some of the rediculous stuff I see down here in S W Florida is.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts