Toyota Tundra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Ok in search of more power and efficiency I am going to try and retrofit the newer plastic intake from the VVTi motor to mine. Hopefully this will be able to get me closer to my 400hp. I’ll get some more info when I get it on. Here are some pics of my two intakes compared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you get this sorted out... it will be an amazing ride...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
If you get this sorted out... it will be an amazing ride...
Thanks man! Just got the new intake manifold on there and loaded up my tune. I have the megasquirt controlling the valve so there will be some fine tuning with that but for first impressions I think that it worked really good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So I drove it for the first time today and let me tell you. It’s definitely has more low end grunt as well as top end. Overall I think it was definitely a worthwhile upgrade. Only minor things had to be changed. Nothing a mechanically minded person couldn’t solve. I might go back on the dyno to see what the gain is if you guys want.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Any updates?
Got it on the lift right now. Going to go through the whole turbo kit and change some gaskets and put in a couple of v bands because the gaskets that go to the heads and the headers keep blowing out. I’m going to switch to oem gaskets for the header and see how long they last.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Is the motor that you did all this to a vvt-I engine. Also is it a 1st or 2nd gen 4.7?
It is not a VVti engine. I plan to build a VVti engine with cams and the works in the future but for now it’s just a stock 2003 4.7.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay, just wondering. I have a 04 tundra with a motor out of a 01 and I am getting ready to put a motor out of a 07 sequoia in it after I build it. Will this build work in a VVT-I motor?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Okay, just wondering. I have a 04 tundra with a motor out of a 01 and I am getting ready to put a motor out of a 07 sequoia in it after I build it. Will this build work in a VVT-I motor?
Yeah everything should port right over. Most of it was custom anyway

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
What parts you building it with. Just curious.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
What else did you change from stock as far as internals besides the rods?
I haven’t changed anything. Have not opened the block yet. Everything internal is stock. It’s all about torque management keeping it under 400 wheel torque is key.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just what I’ve had in mind! So did you ever get all the kinks worked out and get close to 400hp? I own a 2003 sequoia and a 2003 tundra. I plan to pull the engine from the tundra, build it then put the built engine in the sequoia and the sequoia engine in the tundra. The sequoia is the one I’m trying to build...just want to keep the tundra going as a spare vehicle. I’m looking to get the best performance possible for the money while still maintaining daily driving dependability. The sequoia will be my daily and I also plan to outfit it for overlanding over time. So some off-road ventures will be thrown in too.
Anyway I’d love to get as much info and tips and avoid as much strife as possible lol. Any resources would be awesome! I can take my time on the build but when I get ready to swap I’ll have to get her back going in a weekend. Really looking for any advice on getting it right the first time. Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Just what I’ve had in mind! So did you ever get all the kinks worked out and get close to 400hp? I own a 2003 sequoia and a 2003 tundra. I plan to pull the engine from the tundra, build it then put the built engine in the sequoia and the sequoia engine in the tundra. The sequoia is the one I’m trying to build...just want to keep the tundra going as a spare vehicle. I’m looking to get the best performance possible for the money while still maintaining daily driving dependability. The sequoia will be my daily and I also plan to outfit it for overlanding over time. So some off-road ventures will be thrown in too. View attachment 151962 Anyway I’d love to get as much info and tips and avoid as much strife as possible lol. Any resources would be awesome! I can take my time on the build but when I get ready to swap I’ll have to get her back going in a weekend. Really looking for any advice on getting it right the first time. Thanks!
I never got to 400hp because the trans just can’t take the torque. So when I was racing the other day at my local track I noticed 2nd gear acting a little strange. I was in a bracket so I was going for broke. When it was all said and done 2nd gear was no longer. Burnt the clutch packs out. Instead of getting me down I’m going to turn this into an opportunity. I’m going to go to my local dyno guy, strap her up, and turn it up until either the trans breaks, the motor blows or I get 500wheel from it. I’m going to film the whole thing and put it on YouTube. ITS GOING TO BE AWESOME. Then when it’s done I’m going to put a built transmission in and build a vvti motor so it can take basically anything I throw at it. Definitely going big aftermarket cams. Probably will max out the turbo first and see how I like it. If you don’t push it back to back and get the trans hot it will last you but don’t expect too much from the stock trans. It barely likes to be behind a v8 lol.
I would definitely have a stand alone controller like what I did. It just gives you so much control over everything. Any questions just post them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
What kinda horsepower you looking to get out of this build. Definitely would recommend getting the block looked at to make sure everything is good and there will be no surprises down the road. Definitely do head studs, main studs, and if you can afford them cams and valve springs. Forged rods are of course a must. The design of the piston are actually not bad and as long as you’re not pushing insane hp you could get away with a wider ring gap. Just absolutely make sure tuning is safe because that’s 99% of what goes bad.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts