Toyota Tundra Forums banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Finally picked up my new engine for the build. It’s a 2007 Toyota Sequoia vvti engine. Got it all tore down and didn’t find any surprises. I wasn’t able to verify how many miles are on the engine but based on the wear that I am seeing it surely cannot be a ton. Most likely under 200000 as it still has the prominent crosshatching visible and no ring lip to be found. Overall it seems like a really solid motor to build. The only obvious issue was the leaky valve covers but that’s just a gasket fix. Here is the picture of everything tore down. I was not aware that the vvti engines had piston oil squirters. That’s very good for adding power and making sure everything stays cool. Someone had obviously taken care of the engine because it had a new timing belt kit on it and a Napa filter so most likely someone took it into a shop pretty frequent. I had already gotten an oil pump and new piston rings to get gapped. Does anyone know what difference there is in the two oil pumps offered by Toyota. One seems to be backwards compatible from 98-09 and the other is only 04-09. The reason why I’m asking is the price. One is $60 while the other is $300. Just wondering why the difference? Demand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just picked up that ebay turbo kit, I was curious how the exhaust piping fit for you? and you mentioned having exhaust leaks, was that from the kit or a gasket issue? tia

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I just picked up that ebay turbo kit, I was curious how the exhaust piping fit for you? and you mentioned having exhaust leaks, was that from the kit or a gasket issue? tia
It fits OK. not great but OK. the best thing that I did was cut the three hole flanges that connect to the headers off and weld on v bands. I just kept having exhaust leaks there. I would throw away the gaskets that they give you and get OEM exhaust manifold gaskets. That’s what I did and they are holding good now. You can use the one for the turbo inlet. That one is fine. The biggest clearance issue is with the down pipe. You’re going to have to beat it a little for clearance for the rear AC lines. That’s about it though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It fits OK. not great but OK. the best thing that I did was cut the three hole flanges that connect to the headers off and weld on v bands. I just kept having exhaust leaks there. I would throw away the gaskets that they give you and get OEM exhaust manifold gaskets. That’s what I did and they are holding good now. You can use the one for the turbo inlet. That one is fine. The biggest clearance issue is with the down pipe. You’re going to have to beat it a little for clearance for the rear AC lines. That’s about it though.

right on, thanks man.

that's kind of what I thought as far as the downpipe from just looking at it, glad it should go though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I dont know much about unichip but I would contact AEM for a engine management. I've ran the AEM ems on a few of my cars and it made getting it tuned the easiest way possible.
Yeah I’m not running that anymore. It CAN work but it was too finicky for me. I’m running an MS3X now and it’s great. Can do anything that I want and pretty good price.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts