Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i picked up the used sts turbo kit from the classifieds about a month ago:cool:
the kit came with a new turbo and wastegate, master power s70 turbo .70 a/r cold .63 a/r hot and a tial 7psi gate. its a nice kit; everything was there and works great. i did the install myself at a friends shop. hes a welder and has a lift. that made it pretty easy. it took about 8 hrs, including fabricating the exhaust flanges (the turbo flanges were different than the original used with the kit). simple welding and bolt ons. its been up and running about a week now. spool starts at 2k rpms and reaches full boost just before 3k. its breaking in well, spooling quicker. no complaints at all. this thing hauls a$$ now. my 0-60 times seem to be cut in half. no detonation or any other problems as of yet. theres only one thing that i wonder about. the tial wastegate has a 7psi spring yet my boost guage only reads 5 at full boost. the guage is referenced to the top of the intake manifold. the wastegate is referenced by a 1' vac hose connected directly to the compressor. i thought maybe if i referenced the wastegate to the manifold i might see a full 7, but there would be quite a spike with 8' of hose. i live at 7500' elevation; could that have an effect?

future mods: blow off valve, mesh screen before MAF sensor, catchcan / vented turbo oil system

any comments welcomed

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ill get some good pics up this aftternoon.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:attention:heres some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice. Post up some 1/4. When you can
theres not a track close to here. i would love to get 1/4 times with the stock gears and 285s before i change the ring & pinion . ive got 4.56 gears sitting here waiting to be in$$$talled.;)

·
1,768 Posts
theres not a track close to here. i would love to get 1/4 times with the stock gears and 285s before i change the ring & pinion . ive got 4.56 gears sitting here waiting to be in$$$talled.;)
NITRO 4.56 gears right ? ... I hope so. They're the strongest brand/better cut, etc. for the Higher HP/TQ you're going to be running.

Anyhow.
Looking at your engine bay/under-carriage, etc and all the dirt present.
I hope you don't off road this truck from now on without a snorkel going up through the bed and a pre-filter over the filter itself. The STS kits recommended this As Well. I'd have one just to have it. The filter sticking out right there to suck up everything the world has to offer would bother me.

Anyone running a turbo under the truck like this is just asking for trouble/sucking up dirt like crazy when dipping it in the dirt, ponds, etc.
Or crazy to change their habits to not off roading just because they don't want to put on a snorkel. I say put on a snorkel. And a Skylone Prefilter for extra insurance having an exposed filter to the elements/water, etc.
Sy-Klone International: Hummer Owner adds Series 9000 prior to 1,500 km of Australian Outback Dirt!

Sy-Klone International: Series 9000 Performs Flawlessly through 1,500 km (932 miles) of Australian Outback Dirt

A video would be awesome. I wanna see & hear the truck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i really just slapped this kit on with the least work possible. i want to add a snorkel and a cover. i also need to rotate my wastegate and plumb into exhaust. actually theres a lot more to do. i just wanted it up and running well asap; and it is!!!

its my daily driver so downtime is a really big issue. the install took about 8hrs. ill start an install thread sooner or later and cover all the little odds and ends. thanks for the links, ill look into those.

after a couple of envious years im finally in the forced induction club :tu:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyhow.
Looking at your engine bay/under-carriage, etc and all the dirt present.
I hope you don't off road this truck from now on without a snorkel going up through the bed and a pre-filter over the filter itself. The STS kits recommended this As Well. I'd have one just to have it. The filter sticking out right there to suck up everything the world has to offer would bother me.

does it end up looking kind of like this. i just mocked up an old filter

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
118 Posts
theres only one thing that i wonder about. the tial wastegate has a 7psi spring yet my boost guage only reads 5 at full boost. the guage is referenced to the top of the intake manifold. the wastegate is referenced by a 1' vac hose connected directly to the compressor. i thought maybe if i referenced the wastegate to the manifold i might see a full 7, but there would be quite a spike with 8' of hose. i live at 7500' elevation; could that have an effect?
any comments welcomed
Altitude will absolutely have an effect on the boost you see. Your turbo has to work a lot harder to get the same boost we see here closer to sea level. It can get so bad that it actually gets away from the more efficient flow areas of the compressor map. Do you hear the wg open? Backpressure can also affect the boost you see vs the wg spring pressure. I bet at 500ft you'll see 7-8 psi and you'll see it sooner in the rpm range.

What are you doing for additional fuel? Even at your altitude id expect you would need more fuel than the stock system provides.

Good work btw, I like to see more forced induction builds.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Good work, the extra long distance should actually help cool the intake charge along the way.

I am toying with installing twin turbos and tuck one on each side where my headers dump. This will keep the air run shorter to the intake, but most likely will require an intercooler. Two small turbos will supply sufficient air and also spool up faster. It looks like I can tuck them close to the block and have enough room where I am planning. I will post as I find out more on this. Plumbing will be a little creative but I think it can be done neatly.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The length of the piping is causing boost loss. Happens a lot, like when Subaru guys go from a top mount intercooler, to a front mount intercooler.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its been over a year now. got a few things figured out. im boosting up to 10psi now and its running great.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts