Votes: 0 0.0%
  • pie

Votes: 1 100.0%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for input from my fellow 1st gen owners as to if I should have my aftermarket muffler turned down behind the cab or run out the back.

I lean toward tundowns. As a welder because of the coupler just ahead of the OE muffler I can do the install myself quite easily. But I've not owned a truck where the back glass rolls down before and I'm not sure if this will cause any "issues" either.

sound clips would be welcome

·
7,925 Posts
Looking for input from my fellow 1st gen owners as to if I should have my aftermarket muffler turned down behind the cab or run out the back.

I lean toward tundowns. As a welder because of the coupler just ahead of the OE muffler I can do the install myself quite easily. But I've not owned a truck where the back glass rolls down before and I'm not sure if this will cause any "issues" either.

sound clips would be welcome
Sound be damned - won't do you a bit of good after you eat exhaust fumes at at stoplight and pass out from carbon monoxide poisoning. Run that exhaust out the back at least past the axle and do a turn down there if you are totally sold on the turn down concept.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I have mine turned down after the muffler before the axle, and have never had an issue with fumes coming into the cab. But I never ever drive with the back sliding glass open.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You should'nt have any problems with fumes being out in the open unless your sitting in your garage idling for hours. Only thing you should be worried about is drone, but I've heard mixed results about that. Try it out for a while, if you don't like it, it shouldn't be too hard to add pipe out the back, good luck!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I run the 14" magnaflow turned down for years and have never smelled exhaust. I ride with the window down and in every other situation in the 3 years I've had this exhaust. DUMP IT AND DON'T LOOK BACK. Be sure to turn your dump out towards the wheel a bit or you will get a woosh sound under acceleration.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I ran a turn down right after the muffler for about 3 months. I don't know how you guys never had fume issues, every time I stopped at a drive-thru to get my drunk food, I'd get hotboxed with 4.7 breath. This happened especially at the local In and Out because they have walls in the drive thru lane that keep the fumes from blowing away(Remmy knows the one).

Aside from that, as soon as I put the piping back on I got the torque back that I was missing and lost the drone that was killing me on the freeway. Don't get me wrong, it was never the sound that bothered me, I like loud, it was the vibrations in the cab. I'd go atleast past the axle if I were you. Or you can do what I did and Derek suggested and try it yourself, if you don't like it throw pipe on.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I dumped mine after the rear axle to avoid the annoying drone. I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The fumes are there. Just because you don't smell it doesn't mean it isn't coming in. I think that having the exhaust dump under the cab is dangerous and while, you may want to risk it I don;t think it's fair to make that decision for everyone that may ride in your truck. Besides, you lose torque and gain drone. I really don't see the point.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've been running mine dumped for a long while now. Never had an issue. No fumes. Nada. Windows up, window down, slider open, slider shut.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I think the only people who should respond to this are the ones who have tried it. I have NO DRONE OR POWER LOSS, I tow a 25' travel trailer all over new england. My 2 kids have been riding back there from r.i. to maine and everywhere in between. They have never complained once about smelling anything, and they have never passed out from the non existant exhaust, it's not 1965 with some junk carburator that's running to rich. This is my REAL world experience. No power loss no drone sounds good getting 14.5 mpg for YEARS. There is only 1 way for fumes to enter the cabin and it could do it weather it's dumped or out the side. Wind would have to blow under the truck and then between the bed and the cab. Wind doesn't blow straight along the ground and then take an abrupt vertical leap into the cab. Just doesn't happen so don't listen to these nay sayers. I have this set-up and it works great. Another advantage to the dump is I don't have to worry about snapping a manifold backing into a snow bank to load a snow mobile. Anyone who has done this knows just how costly that mistake really is, sorry to those who have paid that price. You can run either way safely so you have to chose but if I were you, I would try the dump and see how you like it. Bolt it first so you can change and adjust it later. I tried the tail pipe and tip route, I didn't like it so I went with the dump and haven't looked back. Wish I would have saved the $26 on the tip.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think the only people who should respond to this are the ones who have tried it. I have NO DRONE OR POWER LOSS, I tow a 25' travel trailer all over new england. My 2 kids have been riding back there from r.i. to maine and everywhere in between. They have never complained once about smelling anything, and they have never passed out from the non existant exhaust, it's not 1965 with some junk carburator that's running to rich. This is my REAL world experience. No power loss no drone sounds good getting 14.5 mpg for YEARS. There is only 1 way for fumes to enter the cabin and it could do it weather it's dumped or out the side. Wind would have to blow under the truck and then between the bed and the cab. Wind doesn't blow straight along the ground and then take an abrupt vertical leap into the cab. Just doesn't happen so don't listen to these nay sayers. I have this set-up and it works great. Another advantage to the dump is I don't have to worry about snapping a manifold backing into a snow bank to load a snow mobile. Anyone who has done this knows just how costly that mistake really is, sorry to those who have paid that price. You can run either way safely so you have to chose but if I were you, I would try the dump and see how you like it. Bolt it first so you can change and adjust it later. I tried the tail pipe and tip route, I didn't like it so I went with the dump and haven't looked back. Wish I would have saved the $26 on the tip.
Physics is your friend. Your advice is dangerous and whether you like it or not exhaust is entering the cab of your truck if the exhaust dumps anywhere in front of the bed. Just because you have done this doesn't mean its right. Carbon monoxide is odorless. If you are carrying kids around in that truck then you are endangering them with your ignorance.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Physics is your friend. Your advice is dangerous and whether you like it or not exhaust is entering the cab of your truck if the exhaust dumps anywhere in front of the bed. Just because you have done this doesn't mean its right. Carbon monoxide is odorless. If you are carrying kids around in that truck then you are endangering them with your ignorance.
How in the world do you think someone could dump it before the bed. have you even looked at the way it is designed? Talk about ignorance. lay on the ground and look at the pipes. I really don't see how anyone could assume it is dumped before the bed. Again only people with knowledge should come out of the sand on this one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
How in the world do you think someone could dump it before the bed. have you even looked at the way it is designed? Talk about ignorance. lay on the ground and look at the pipes. I really don't see how anyone could assume it is dumped before the bed. Again only people with knowledge should come out of the sand on this one.
My original statement was that there would be fumes if you dumped it under the cab. I will modify it now to say that even dumping it under the bed is a recipe for disaster. That being said, I just did a complete header-back exhaust upgrade on my truck and it is 100% possible to dump it under the cab. My truck has a resonator and it straight piped to the back. If dumped after the resonator it would be directly under the cab. I firmly believe that anywhere under the truck (before the rear axle) is dangerous and should be avoided.

Forgive me if I sound a little "over-passionate" but my father-in-law had a dumped exhaust on his 4-Runner. After sitting in traffic one afternoon he got home and came in the house. His face and hands were bright bright red. We took him to the emergency room where he was diagnosed with acute carbon monoxide poisoning. They kept him for 3-days, 1 of which was spent in the ICU, before he was released. They told him that he probably would have died within 24hrs had he not come to the hospital.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Especially in light of the fact the THREAD TITLE says BEHIND the cab.

More specifically right in front of the rear axle, which leads to another point. The naysayers say "at least behind the axle". But where I would install the turndown wouldn't be 8" different from that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
With that huge retractable rear window we have in the back, everything is sucked into the cab when it is open. It is probably possible to dump the exhaust closer to the cab than factory but do you really want to risk sucking in CO, an odorless gas that will impair and possibly kill you? Exhaust gases are dumped as far from the passenger compartment as possible to keep the passengers safe from that happening. The biggest problem is you won't know you are being poisoned till it's to late.
Will you be poisoned? Probably not but your risk increases the closer you dump to the cab.

Unless you have a wind tunnel for testing, that would be cool...

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have also stated the turn down should be pointed out towards the wheel. I'm glad your father in law is ok but i doubt it was a computer controlled, co2 sensor backed program that is designed to indicate and correct any rich or lean condition, also it all gets pumped thru a cataletic converter that is packed with other sensors and filters and would shut down if the levels were anywhere near deadly. Everyone with a hole in their muffler should be dropping dead in that case, we are not talking about a 1969 dodge charger with a 426 hemi dumping raw fuel out the tail pipe. Krochus I have my original pipes, cut of the old muffler, replaced with the $70 14" magnaflow and ran maybe 5" out. Dumps right before the axle and is turned out towards the tire a bit. If your interested try it out, maybe get a co2 detector from home depot and prove someone correct. Good luck I'm out.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,540 Posts
I have also stated the turn down should be pointed out towards the wheel. I'm glad your father in law is ok but i doubt it was a computer controlled, co2 sensor backed program that is designed to indicate and correct any rich or lean condition, also it all gets pumped thru a cataletic converter that is packed with other sensors and filters and would shut down if the levels were anywhere near deadly. Everyone with a hole in their muffler should be dropping dead in that case, we are not talking about a 1969 dodge charger with a 426 hemi dumping raw fuel out the tail pipe. Krochus I have my original pipes, cut of the old muffler, replaced with the $70 14" magnaflow and ran maybe 5" out. Dumps right before the axle and is turned out towards the tire a bit. If your interested try it out, maybe get a co2 detector from home depot and prove someone correct. Good luck I'm out.
You obviously don't understand what catalytic converters can and cannot do. They are not "...packed with other sensors and filters..." LOL!!

All internal combustion gasoline engines produce CO gas. It is odorless and can kill very easily. Further, there is no component on a motor vehicle that will "shut down" the engine in the presence of noxious CO.

There's a reason why exhaust is routed to the rear of a motor vehicle. Your hacking of your exhaust, mufflers, pipes, etc. and surviving so far does not prove its safety, nor does it make less dangerous your recommendation that anyone should do it. You and your passengers have simply been lucky. So far.

And people have died inside the cabins of motor vehicles from CO poisoning due to defective/cracked/removed/improperly modified exhaust systems.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I hope someone sues Midas on my behalf. The assumptions on here, it's almost funny. I wonder how they have stayed in business, you'd think with all the co2 deaths they are responsible for, installing unsafe equipment and all. Good luck dude... Enjoy whatever you chose.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Here is a pic of what mine looks like. No exhaust fumes whatsoever and I have had it for over 2 years. And I DO NOT have any loss of power, even in the low end.

Also I ran this for a month or so before I got the exhaust put on. I did have fumes with this....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts