Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did this to my 2004 Tundra DC today! I'm pretty proud of myself, because I haven't heard of anyone else doing this, yet!

It took a little while to do, but only cost about $10 for the switch, wire and connectors! Now, when I open my tailgate, the interior lights, cargo light and the "door ajar" indicator on the dash come on! I wired things up so that the ECU thinks I've opened the driver's door when I open the tailgate!!

Have a look, and let me know what y'all think!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
That is a great idea !

Thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
It's worthwhile contributions such as yours that truly make this forum unique.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks...

There is an LED on the switch; but because the switch needs to be "on" for the override to be turned "off", the LED isn't hooked up. I could probably figure out how to get the LED to come one when the switch is "off". I just didn't have the energy left after the rest of the installation!

:)

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I don't think you could do it with a STDP switch without some sort of relay setup could you? Would be kinda cool though.

I hear ya on the worn out!! Seems the older I get, the more this crawling around under a truck gets to me....can't figure it out man:confused::confused:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think you could do it with a STDP switch without some sort of relay setup could you? Would be kinda cool though.

I hear ya on the worn out!! Seems the older I get, the more this crawling around under a truck gets to me....can't figure it out man:confused::confused:
Amen, brother! I did the tailgate mod, what, three or four days ago? My body is sore enough that you'd think I'd run a marathon with Rosie O'Donnel strapped to my back. :sleep:

Ok. Sorry for the conversational detour, folks... :focus:

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Very nice. Will add this to the project list.

"...run a marathon with Rosie O'Donnel strapped to my back." LOL! That's how I feel. Wife did not think it was funny though...

I agree the crawling around, and contortions really do take their toll.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uh oh. Wife is a Rosie fan, eh? Oh, well. At my age/size, even running a marathon with Ashley Olsen strapped to my back would probably kill me. :laughing:

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Uh oh. Wife is a Rosie fan, eh? Oh, well. At my age/size, even running a marathon with Ashley Olsen strapped to my back would probably kill me. :laughing:
Dang guys, if you think you are old now.... just wait until a couple of decades..

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
How did you find out the correct wire to tap into? Couldn't you just tap into the switch wire of the driver's door? Also, is that switch at the tailgate waterproof?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is their anyway to tap into this mod and add LED lights to the bed of the truck? This is a great idea!! This way when I open the tailgate the LED will automatically come on!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just ordered some RECON LED Cargo Lights To do exactly that. I have a PE Full Metal Jacket and need lights underneath when I open the tailgate. This mod will tie in the alarm to the tailgate, light up my bed, and tell me when the tailgate is open. A three in one.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
and if she was strapped to the front, your wife would kill you.

I have the same crawling problem. think it is going to force me to pave my driveway. It is way hard to wiggle under the truck on top of the gravel. especially when I have a perfectly nice creeper collecting dust.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Dang guys, if you think you are old now.... just wait until a couple of decades..
Gimme a break. You guys are still just pups. Wait until you reach three score and a half dozen.

My most recent sub-Tundra activity involved installation of a new Hellwig rear sway bar. The install wasn't too bad as I had some assistance from Sam Adams. A few skinned knuckles and minimal expletives later the bar went on like a charm.

I have found that if I take it slow and steady I don't get too many aches and pains. The TC rack bushings were a different matter however.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is their anyway to tap into this mod and add LED lights to the bed of the truck? This is a great idea!! This way when I open the tailgate the LED will automatically come on!!
Actually, yeah, there is. I added under-rail lights to the bed before I did this mod, and they are wired up to come on with the cargo light. Its been so long since I did that mod, though, that I don't recall what I tapped into for the cargo light! :)

EDIT: Ok, I just looked it up. Here's what I did to tie into the cargo light for my under-the-rail bed lights. Again, I used actual light bulbs, not LEDs. Its up to you whether or not to use the relay I mention - you could probably omit it for an LED install - but it wouldn't hurt.

1) Under the dash, at the body ECU, tap into the black wire with the white stripe located on the body ECU. The body ECU is accessed at step 11 in my original write up here. I believe this black/white wire is on a different connector than the grey/red wire we tapped in the original write up to get the driver's door pin. Check it out with a multimeter before you tap into anything. Of course, this and the attachment are meant for a '04 DC.

2) Run the tap you added to this black/white wire back to the same tail-light housing that you removed for the original writeup, where we added the pin switch (step #2 under "At the tailgate" from the original writeup).

3) While you're running the wire from #2, above, run a wire from the + side of the battery, as well. That will be used to power the under-rail lights in the box area, via the relay we'll install, next.

4) Find a spot to mount a standard, electrical relay inside the rear fender opening in front of the tail light. There is a ton of room back there, so you won't have any trouble.

5) There are four "poles" or terminals on this standard relay. Yours will likely come with a wiring diagram telling you exactly which terminal is for what. But, in general, there is a "load" terminal (where the under-rail lights will get attached); a "source" terminal (to which you must connect the +12v you ran back here in step #3, above); a "trigger" terminal, which will turn the relay on and off (to which you will connect the cargo light wire we tapped into in step #2, above); and, finally, a ground terminal. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you connect the ground terminal to the ground wire in the tail light harness (from the original write up, step #7 under "At the tailgate").

6) Mount your under-rail lights as you see fit. Whatever you use, lights or LEDs, they will have a +12v and a ground wire on them. The +12 should come from the load terminal on the relay I mentioned above in step #5. The ground should get tied to the same wire in the tail light harness that the relay's ground wire gets tied to.

And that really is all there is to it. If you are going to do both of these mods at the same time, you can save yourself some trouble by running all three wires (cargo light, driver's door pin switch and +12v supply) from the cab down the rail all at once. Be smart - either use three different colors of wire. That will make the connections a bunch easier to make later on.

I've got my truck hooked up this way now, and I really like the way it works. I've even had to use the override switch the other day, when I sold my ATV and had to deliver it to the buyer. I'm still working on a way to get a "warning light" to turn on when the override is "on", to remind me that the tailgate isn't being monitored anymore.

Good luck, everyone!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts