Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the oil in my 2003 Tundra. How do you turn off the check engine light? I only ask because most new vehicles come on automatically to remind you to get it serviced, or so I think. And the dealer just resets it every 3-5000 miles or so. Usually you have to do some combination of shutting off the truck and holding the odometer button in.:confused:

·
Registered
910 Posts
The "Check Engine" light in the 2003 model indicates a trouble code is present in the computer system. It's not linked with routine vehicle service. Reading the code requires an OBDII scantool. Parts stores like Autozone and Advanced will read your codes for free. You can disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and reset the light that way. If the light comes back on, the problem is persistent and you should get it fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had this happen in my 02 Tundra. Went to Auto Zone, and they checked for free. It turned out to be the oxygen sensor in the exhaust system.

I did try and disconnect the battery. The check engine light went off, but came back on the next day. Thats when you know somthing needs to be addressed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts