Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have checked all tires, set pressure to where they should be plus some, but the valve stem on the spare was siezed so took it out and replaced it with a standard valve stem so no TPMS in the spare and can't reset light - why? Do I have to read 5 or does it only read what's there. Tried to reset system as outlined in the manual but light still stays on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have checked all tires, set pressure to where they should be plus some, but the valve stem on the spare was siezed so took it out and replaced it with a standard valve stem so no TPMS in the spare and can't reset light - why? Do I have to read 5 or does it only read what's there. Tried to reset system as outlined in the manual but light still stays on.
Default in TPMS ECU (electronic control unit) stored 5 sensor codes, now you took one off the car it is still looking for the missing one and the light will stay on perminantly. You can just buy a new sensor and installed it you have to have TOYOTA SCAN Tool to reprogram NOT just the New Sensor, but all 5 sensors must be reprogrammed even one sensor is needed. Toyota dealership usually charge 1-1.5 hrs labor to do this job. GOOD LUCK there is no other ways around it (i'm one of toyota tech)

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
My TPMS light is always blinking. I think one of the batteries is just dead since all tires are ok, including the spare. I just dont feel like paying the $80 or so, for a new sensor plus dealer charge to reprogram. The flashing light is pretty much behind the steering wheel so I never really notice it. I would be curios to know how much the charge is for getting a new one installed and programmed. Keep me posted please.

·
2,444 Posts
Actually there is a way around this. You can disable the TPMS. I did and am not looking back.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Well if there is a way of turning it off, do you mind sharing that info with those of us who dont know how? If I had known I could disable it, I would not have left that stupid light blinking for the last year.

·
2,444 Posts
Well if there is a way of turning it off, do you mind sharing that info with those of us who dont know how? If I had known I could disable it, I would not have left that stupid light blinking for the last year.
Absolutely! I don't mind at all. That is what we are here for, aren't we? I am over in this section searching for info on alarms/remote start and ran across this thread.

Sometimes you have to search several of the forum locations to find info. That is how I learned about it. I went with some after market wheels and the TPMS thing was driving me crazy. This was done on my Gen1 Tundra (06 DC). I took pictures and made it real easy to follow. Look in my album, or just follow this link...

TPMS warning light mod - Photo Gallery

It is tough to get to if you have big hands. I don't and it was still not very easy to reach up in there. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Absolutely! I don't mind at all. That is what we are here for, aren't we? I am over in this section searching for info on alarms/remote start and ran across this thread.

Sometimes you have to search several of the forum locations to find info. That is how I learned about it. I went with some after market wheels and the TPMS thing was driving me crazy. This was done on my Gen1 Tundra (06 DC). I took pictures and made it real easy to follow. Look in my album, or just follow this link...

It is tough to get to if you have big hands. I don't and it was still not very easy to reach up in there. Good Luck.
When you said "disable" I did not realize you went in an cut some wires. Did you ever look at pulling the speedo unit out and just unplugging the bulb? From your pics it looks easy enough I just dont like cutting wires under the dash. How long did it take you from start to finish?

By the way, CrewLimited used to install remote starters etc, for a living. He installed a 2 way viper remote started on mine. PM him if you have questions about installation or brands. He has done a bunch of starters for some of us at work. Both gen Tundra's, Sequioa's, and other brands. He really knows his stuff.

·
2,444 Posts
When you said "disable" I did not realize you went in an cut some wires. Did you ever look at pulling the speedo unit out and just unplugging the bulb? From your pics it looks easy enough I just dont like cutting wires under the dash. How long did it take you from start to finish?

By the way, CrewLimited used to install remote starters etc, for a living. He installed a 2 way viper remote started on mine. PM him if you have questions about installation or brands. He has done a bunch of starters for some of us at work. Both gen Tundra's, Sequioa's, and other brands. He really knows his stuff.
I would say it took me less than an hour... it has been a while. And that is because I am totally anal about stuff I do on the truck. I felt a similar hesitancy about cutting wires when I was going through this. It is totally reversible... other than the actual cut, and it is only one wire. I can easily plug the original wire back together if I ever sell the truck (which I don't plan on doing). I thought about putting in a switch but I don't really ever want that system operating.

Thanks for the tip on Crewlimited... that may be my next move. I already purchased everything that I think I need. I am pretty sure that I can install the system I have but I am little nervous... talking about cutting wires.:unsure:

·
2,444 Posts
When you said "disable" I did not realize you went in an cut some wires. Did you ever look at pulling the speedo unit out and just unplugging the bulb?
I thought about that but what I did seemed easier... for me anyway.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Thanks for the info highlevel. Appreciated

·
Premium Member
442 Posts

Is that the same wire on all Toyota vehicles or just the Tundra's. I also own a 05 H/Lander.

·
2,444 Posts

·
2,444 Posts
Is that the same wire on all Toyota vehicles or just the Tundra's. I also own a 05 H/Lander.
Sorry, I don't have the answer to that question.

·
Registered
65 Posts
very nice, i will be doing this mod over the pressure tube mod in the other forums. your pix are very well taken and ecplain everything well.

·
2,444 Posts
very nice, i will be doing this mod over the pressure tube mod in the other forums. your pix are very well taken and ecplain everything well.
Thanks. Hope it goes well. Like I said the most difficult part is getting your hands up in there. Other than that it was pretty simple.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Have to hand it to you! how you reach up there to disconnect the connector with your hand is beyond me.. Had to remove the radio, an extra 5 minutes of work, the TPMS module is just right next to it on the right. Unscrew the 10mm TPMS module mounting bolt... Voila, the TPMS module is now free to move around and easily disconnected. On the 2005 Tundra, the pink wire has no silver band, so make a note.. otherwise, the info that you posted is awesome and thank you.... no more green light on the dash board....

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
had to bring this back.
by bypassing this, couldn't u switch back to regular rubber valve stems as the tpm valves r no longer needed?

·
2,444 Posts
had to bring this back.
by bypassing this, couldn't u switch back to regular rubber valve stems as the tpm valves r no longer needed?
Absolutely... I have two sets of tire/rims and one has rubber valve stems... although I do prefer metal. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts