Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys this is driving me insane. I installed my polkaudio db6501 components and tweeters yesterday...i tested everything before putting the door panels on...well I used to have an issue with the tweeters making a really faint high pitched sound..it would drive me crazy...that is why i tested everything before the panels went back on..well seemed to work fine...then when i was leavig my parents house (they have all the tools) the tweeters started make the sound again!! I can't take it...any thoughts? I already know to keep the power cable away from the speaker cables...other than that, I don't know what it could be!! It got to the point that I took them out last night when I got back to my apartment..

Are there any other tweeters anyone recommends?

·
Registered
819 Posts
I dont think it is your Tweeters. Check your grounding. Is it a whine? Does it go with the engine rpms?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think it is your Tweeters. Check your grounding. Is it a whine? Does it go with the engine rpms?

It is a whine but it is constant. Does not change with my engine RPMS. I have it grounded to one of the bolts that connects the rear seat to the body...it's painted black..will that affect anything?

Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yes.... You want your ring terminal to be on bare metal for a good ground. It is often recommended that you don't use an existing bolt for a ground also. Paint is bad; it's not a good conductor.

-Wes

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is gonna be a dumb question but will i need to disconnect my battery in order to connect the ground at another location? I JUST set my stereo to the exact settings I want and I don't feel like doing it again haha..plus i'm getting awesome mpg!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
This is gonna be a dumb question but will i need to disconnect my battery in order to connect the ground at another location? I JUST set my stereo to the exact settings I want and I don't feel like doing it again haha..plus i'm getting awesome mpg!
No need to disconnect the battery.:tu:

·
Registered
819 Posts
I grounded mine to the rear seat bolt also, and did not scrape paint. Maybe your head units ground is not got a good connection. Good Luck man.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i tried two other locations...the body and bare metal with no luck...i know the ground to the HU was commented on, but I have no idea what im looking for there..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Guys this is driving me insane. I installed my polkaudio db6501 components and tweeters yesterday...i tested everything before putting the door panels on...well I used to have an issue with the tweeters making a really faint high pitched sound..it would drive me crazy...that is why i tested everything before the panels went back on..well seemed to work fine...then when i was leavig my parents house (they have all the tools) the tweeters started make the sound again!! I can't take it...any thoughts? I already know to keep the power cable away from the speaker cables...other than that, I don't know what it could be!! It got to the point that I took them out last night when I got back to my apartment..

Are there any other tweeters anyone recommends?
Grounding problem. You're hearing "alternator whine". Get a better ground to your amp, preferrably ground your amp and head unit at the same locaton (easier to run a ground to the amp location from the head unit)

You wont hear the whine unless the engine is running, and it will change frequency with the speed of the engine.

It's not a problem with your tweeters.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Where is the headunit's ground located?
I just hooked the pioneer ground to the ground out of the factory wiring harness. I think it is a black wire. I am thinking your connection there is coming loose. How did you connect your wires?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Grounding problem. You're hearing "alternator whine". Get a better ground to your amp, preferrably ground your amp and head unit at the same locaton (easier to run a ground to the amp location from the head unit)

You wont hear the whine unless the engine is running, and it will change frequency with the speed of the engine.

It's not a problem with your tweeters.
I actually hear the whine even when the engine is not cranked. I tested both cranking the engine and just turning on the radio...no luck either way.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just hooked the pioneer ground to the ground out of the factory wiring harness. I think it is a black wire. I am thinking your connection there is coming loose. How did you connect your wires?
The gound from the factory wire harness to kenwood harness/adapter is sodered together and wrapped with electrical tape. And they are two black cables.;

·
Registered
404 Posts
Assuming your amp ground is good and your h/u ground is good, you should start eliminating possible causes other than your ground connections. Maybe take a portable cd player or mp3 player and use a 3.5mm to stereo rca cable and plug it directly into your amplifier (you would have to adjust gain due to input voltage change)? If the sound is still there, then you know its probably coming from within your amplifier. If the sound is gone, then you know it's either from your headunit or is caused by interference that's picked up in your RCA cables. Then you can work farther up the chain to test the various components.

-Wes

·
Registered
379 Posts
Are the crossovers for the speakers located physically close together? if so, move them away from each other and see if the whine disappears. this doesn't sound like alt whine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts