Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Supportive Supporter
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Camry SE has all of 37K miles on it. I bought it used from a Toyota dealership. It qualified for the Toyota 100K mile warranty.
It's a 4cyl, 6 spd auto.....the usual goodies.
It was a Hertz rental car.....(maybe that's the problem?)
Here are the problems: Backing down my driveway or any slight hill I can tap the brakes and hear a loud clicking. It almost sounds like it's coming from the front brakes......maybe the pins are worn?
This is the ****ty problem. On starting up, especially after it has sat for a while (or over night) the engine rattles, bad and then goes quiet.
I was a mechanic for a number of years and this sounds to me like a cam chain / oil pressure problem. Some of the old Toyota 4 cylinders used to have the chain tensioners go bad and the chain would eventualy eat thru the cam chain cover.
Do these engines have the same issues?
I changed the oil and filter at 35K miles, had to buy a damn tool for the oil filter.....so the oil is fresh.
Any ideas?
Do I dare take it to the dealership and hope they don't ruin it?

I really like the car...I have gotten up to 36 MPG! Which is great compared to my Tundy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is the ****ty problem. On starting up, especially after it has sat for a while (or over night) the engine rattles, bad and then goes quiet.I was a mechanic for a number of years and this sounds to me like a cam chain / oil pressure problem. Some of the old Toyota 4 cylinders used to have the chain tensioners go bad and the chain would eventualy eat thru the cam chain cover.
Do these engines have the same issues?
Thanks!
Bump for a reply. I'm in the same boat. Haven t spoken to dealer yet. My Camry is an 11

Thanks

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have the same sound on start up, especially after it has sat overnight. I have yet to take it in to the dealer. IIRC, it was deemed 'normal' on another thread, but cannot recall what thread that was.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Did a little more research on this. There is actually a TSB on this. Believe it is the Cam Timing Gear. Should be covered under the 6/60 powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Took my Camry in a month or so ago. It was the Cam Timing Gear. Covered under the powertrain warranty.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealership changed both of my cam gears and it STILL rattles on startup.
Took it back and *****ed and had a "Factory" rep look into it.
He tried to tell me it was the Bosch oil filters I used!!!!! Such Bull Squat!
I have since been running nothing but Toyo filters and Mobil 1 with no change, it still rattles on startup.
It has 100K miles on it now and nothing bad has happened.
I just wish the noise was gone.....o well. Bad design I guess.

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,276 Posts
On starting up, especially after it has sat for a while (or over night) the engine rattles, bad and then goes quiet.
I have noticed this noise from the 2.5L in my 2010 with 110K, but it doesn't happen often.
It's probably one of the most common complaints out there, and yes there is a TSB for it.
I will research the TSB further, and do something if it gets worse.

http://media.fixed-ops.com/Toy_ServiceBulletins/sb0041t13.pdf

·
Supportive Supporter
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the repair the dealer already did! Little if any change.
When I was buying parts the other day the Toyo parts guy told me that he sells a lot of the electronic oil control valves that is located in the valve cover.
Maybe that's all it needs?

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,276 Posts
That's the repair the dealer already did! Little if any change.
When I was buying parts the other day the Toyo parts guy told me that he sells a lot of the electronic oil control valves that is located in the valve cover.
Maybe that's all it needs?
Please share the part # for that electronic oil control valve when you have it.

Thanks!

·
Supportive Supporter
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Toyota Part #15330-0T010
It's called a "Camshaft Timing Oil Control Valve"
I found it from about 75 to 115 bucks online and phone.
Maybe this would fix that f-ing rattle! :D

·
Banned
24 Posts
Hi TheGryme, I also faced the same problem with my Camry 2000 model. I get it checked from my nearby mechanic but he could'nt able to repair . I asked my friend's advice and he provided me the reference of:-

https://ssl.toyota.com/owners/parts-service/service-centers
Queensboro Toyota | New & Used Toyota Dealer | Woodside, NY
https://www.yourmechanic.com/cars/Toyota

I get it checked from them and after taking total estimate of the repair, it's repair was done. Basically the problem was related to the service.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks guys for sharing the valuable info on this site.

I had a loud noise when cracking the engine 2 weeks ago. Was coming from the engine and it reminds me of a similar issue I had with my Mazda CX-7, where Mazda had a recall on it.

I quickly googled and found this thread. Took the car in this morning and pointed out this TSB.

They were able to validate the rattle at cold start and our 2015 Camry XLE, 4 Cylinder had this TSB but Toyota was never concerned to implement it.

We are the first owner of the car since we bought it and Toyota never mentioned any issue or never performed this TSB on our car. Even though we're taking it to the very same dealership we bought it from, on a regular basis for maintenance.

I have 52.000 miles on the car and we have the car since 2010. (5+ year now) and normally the powertrain warranty has expired already.

Long story short.... I chatted with the general manager, to advise him, that they should not even attempt or think about passing the cost of this TSB repair to us, since they could have done it when the car was still under warranty.
I think it’s a general behavior out there, for car manufacturers, to not perform the recall until/unless forced to. In our case, we still owned the car. Usually owners don’t’ keep the car that long anymore. So it’s a win-win situation for the dealership because they don’t have to perform the repair advised as per the TSB while the car is still under warranty. Secondly, they’ll make sure to Cashout on the poor next owner, who bought the car as certified or second hand and is out of luck because the powertrain warranty has already expired.

Man this car selling business is full of tricks nowadays. Luckily my God is on my side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts