Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the normal time of labor for an installation of 5100s? I went to a 4x4 shop today and they quoted me $300 labor for the 5100 installation up front and the 1.5" blocks on the back. That seems a little steep to me but maybe I just underestimated the labor cost of this. I have a friend who is a mechanic that could probably do this easy but he doesnt have one of those big wall compressors. Is that big wall compressor necessary to achieve the top notch of the 5100?

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,540 Posts
That might be a little high but not out of the ballpark for doing the front coils and the rear blocks. Both jobs are straightforward, but somewhat labor intensive.

As you know, the front requires a spring compressor to do the job. Make sure that 1) the spring perch is installed correctly; it's a common mistake, apparently, to do it upside down, and 2) the lower eyelet is properly aligned with the LCA mounting point before releasing the spring.

The rears require lifting the vehicle by the frame, supporting the rear axle, removing the existing u-bolts, dropping the axle enough to allow the blocks to fit, and reinstalling with new longer u-bolts. Make sure that the block shims/block tapers are pointed in the proper direction to correct the driveshaft geometry.

Don't forget, it's also a good idea to budget for an alignment when significant suspension work is completed. :tu:

·
Registered
415 Posts
That might be a little high but not out of the ballpark for doing the front coils and the rear blocks. Both jobs are straightforward, but somewhat labor intensive.

As you know, the front requires a spring compressor to do the job. Make sure that 1) the spring perch is installed correctly; it's a common mistake, apparently, to do it upside down, and 2) the lower eyelet is properly aligned with the LCA mounting point before releasing the spring.

The rears require lifting the vehicle by the frame, supporting the rear axle, removing the existing u-bolts, dropping the axle enough to allow the blocks to fit, and reinstalling with new longer u-bolts. Make sure that the block shims/block tapers are pointed in the proper direction to correct the driveshaft geometry.

Don't forget, it's also a good idea to budget for an alignment when significant suspension work is completed. :tu:
Couldnt have said it much better myself.
I did all the work myself and it took me about 3hrs with floor jacks and a spring compressor from AutoZone (aka A Widow Maker). They tend to release without warning.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I can rent a spring compressor from autozone that will compress it enough to put on the top notch?

·
8,540 Posts
So I can rent a spring compressor from autozone that will compress it enough to put on the top notch?
You can buy one for $12 from Harbor Freight, but why would you want to? It's a nasty, dangerous, shoulder-killing job without a wall- or floor-mounted professional spring compressor. Guys here say that they've done it at home, but they also say it scared the bejeezuz out of them when they really got it under load.

My suggestion: remove the coil assemblies yourself and take them (and your new struts) to a local shop to have them compressed. Trust me, you do not want one of these things to fail on you and let a coil come at your face at 200mph...

My $.02

Note: If you do go the DIY route, I think Harbor Freight can also get you a casket for cheap as well. It's cardboard, but hey, you saved some bucks.

Here's a nice American-made compressor: http://www.strutspringcompressor.com/

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about this one?

I'll probably just get the shop to do it, unless my mechanic friend needs a spring compressor + cash. Even though my face is not the best looking, I would rather keep it from looking worse with a spring sticking through the side of it. ;-)

·
8,540 Posts
What about this one?

I'll probably just get the shop to do it, unless my mechanic friend needs a spring compressor + cash. Even though my face is not the best looking, I would rather keep it from looking worse with a spring sticking through the side of it. ;-)
Yeah, you don't want to look like this guy. He forgot to oil/grease the threads on his HF compressor:

·
Registered
86 Posts
i would remove the struts and take them to a shop to compress the springs saving some labor costs... i just changed mine last week myself... first time working on a vehicle where i was a actually scared! seeing those spring compressors buckle under the strain!!!

... ahh who am i kidding.. i'm a cheap bas***d who hates garages... just be careful and pray to what ever god you believe in, lol

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the $20 strut spring compressor for over twenty years and have used it on five of my cars and a couple of friends' cars. They are designed for light cars with MacPherson struts, NOT for A arm coil springs, or coilover shocks on cars and trucks. Have a shop install the springs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I paid the local off-road performance shop $80 to install my front 5100's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went by another 4x4 shop in baton rouge and he refused to even price me. Said he doesnt install unless I buy from him. He said some big long story about his reason why which made no logical sense to me. I assume he, like most businessmen, wants to make money on parts AND service. He said that I might have ordered the wrong shocks and then what would he do...I told him it was the right shocks but he said no. He wouldnt even refer me to any competitor in town that would install them for me ;-) Basically said tough luck, do it yourself. I mean I would have happily dropped the truck off to him tommorrow and paid him for his labor no problem. He is right down the street from where I meet my buddy to go to work. I could drop it off in the morning and pick it up in the evening. I understand people operate differently but I just thought that was kind of silly. Even if I made the mistake of having the wrong parts, I would pay him for his time even if he had to put the old struts together and back on. That would have been my mistake, not his. Silly world we live in :D

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I was quoted $140 for labor to replace the front shocks. I bought the shocks from Shock Warehouse and found a local ASE place that agreed to install them. Will have them installed pretty soon.

Scoob

·
Registered
831 Posts
If you want to compress the spring yourself, you better have an air impact gun, otherwise you'll be swearing up a storm.

·
Registered
374 Posts
spring compressors are called widow makers for a reason. pay someone to do it if you dont have air tools. did this once on a 300zx and it turned out to be a 12 hour job.
did it again with air tools.....1 hour.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts