Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Yeah... not something I want to experience again, but the rear U-bolts were completely loose (passenger side only) causing the axle to wrap itself and throw the whole truck out of alignment. I noticed it first when trying to brake off the freeway at 70 mph. Loud metal on metal grinding was the best way to describe the noise along with lack of braking power. I was able to get the truck to stop and limp over to my brothers where we got the axle back into alignment and tighten the U bolts.

My question is. Is there any long term effects this may have caused. I am guessing the axle was only driven out of alignment this day only because it was basically undriveable otherwise. Rear wheel was almost touching fender and whole truck was driving at an angle.

Once I was able to line the leaf springs center pin back on the axle and tighten everything back up the noise went away at the truck was back to normal. I am in the process of replacing U bolts (guessing they stretched or at least tweaked a little).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as to address any possible damages now before it gets to a point where they need more repair.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
Did you put the bump stop back on. In the pic, it's missing. So, I'm assuming it fell off. Is the other side still there? Did you recently have work done on your rear suspension? If so, they could have left the bump stops off. This could cause the ubolts to loosen and cause this.

The bump stop also, keeps the ubolts aligned with leaf springs and axle.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the bump stop is still on the other side. I am picking up another one today and swapping the U bolts. I am not sure if it was left off when installing the rear leafs since I never really checked other than a thorough test drive. Yes there was recent work done to the truck and they have been more than helpful in addressing my concerns. I more worried about long term effects.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Yeah, the bump stop is still on the other side. I am picking up another one today and swapping the U bolts. I am not sure if it was left off when installing the rear leafs since I never really checked other than a thorough test drive. Yes there was recent work done to the truck and they have been more than helpful in addressing my concerns. I more worried about long term effects.
I would look at all the brake lines/hoses and cables. I would replace u-bolts on both sides at a minimum. I would also be contacting the shop. Since they did the work they are responsible for everything that happens back there. You should not have to even touch that stuff. It should be in their shop and done by them immediately and without question. I would also speak with the manager and make some type of arrangements for the possibility of other damages. Take it to another shop or a dealer, have them inspect everything. If there are any issues you take it to the shop that did the original work and have them repair it all!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts