Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be having the middle u joint replaced in the morning along with the timing belt. I just noticed the squeaking noise when driving in reverse that the u joint by the rear diff made when it went bad a few months ago. Do you think it would be a good idea to replace the front one also? I already have the new middle u joint ready to be installed, but now that I think about it... I'm thinking it might be a good idea to replace the last remaining original one too as it is most likely on it's way out too. Would I save alot in labor costs by just doing both of them now? Not too sure if the driveshaft has to be removed. If it does, I will have them replace the front joint also.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
i'm sure the driveshaft has to come off to replace the u joints. i thought you only replace them if they vibrate or visually you can see some damage? could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
If you have the money and want to get it done for peace of mind, go for it. I don't think it's necessary though. Unless it is making noise, vibrations, or has play in it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well... I don't know about any visible damage or if it has any play in it, but i know that is where the noise is coming from. I do get a slight harsh feeling through the vehicle when decelerating from certain speeds and also a slight rumbling noise at the same time, which immediately disappears upon putting the truck in neutral. I'm pretty sure the u joint is the culprit along with being squeaky when reversing.

Ended up picking up the front u joint as well, so I will have the shop change them both out. Apparently during the timing belt replacement the belt jumped timing on one of the cams (I think thats what the guy said) so they will be resuming work on it again come Monday. What exactly does this mean and how does it happen? Is it just a matter of re-aligning all the marks to get everything working right again?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Well... I don't know about any visible damage or if it has any play in it, but i know that is where the noise is coming from. I do get a slight harsh feeling through the vehicle when decelerating from certain speeds and also a slight rumbling noise at the same time, which immediately disappears upon putting the truck in neutral. I'm pretty sure the u joint is the culprit along with being squeaky when reversing.
What I meant is do the one making noise for sure, and do the front one also if money allows and/or for peace of mind. As for the timing question, I would guess they got it back together and it wasn't running right. They probably have to take it apart again and line up the marks, but I don't know for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts