Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some changes in Tundra Tow ratings. The truck hasn't changed. I expect my rear axle will vaporize now, or the truck will take flight on a curve or something.

Just for a refresher, I was fully loaded on the way to the campsite and crossed the scales:
Front Axle:......1,750 KG......3,850 lbs (rating is 4,100)
Rear Axle:.......2,190 KG......4,818 lbs (rating is 4,150)
Trailer Axle......3,850 KG......8,470 lbs (not rated)
Payload ..........1,213 KG......2,668 lbs (rating is 1,530)
Trailer weight...4,850 KG.....10,670 lbs
Total weight:....7,780 KG.....17,116 lbs (rating is 16,000)

Hmmm. Well, clearly I've exceeded the published ratings, even for the '07. The same truck is now rated 500 lbs less in towing capacity. I'm still well below the rear axle rating that Hino specifies, (they said 5,500 lbs) but of course Toyota rates the rear axle only 4,150 lbs so I'm nearly 700 lbs above that. I am below front axle weight rating. Total vehicle weight is 8,668 and rating is only 7,100 so no need to point out the obvious. Also, 16,000 lbs is the rated CGVW and I'm also above that at 17,116. The trailer weighs about 10,670 lbs since some of the additional rear axle weight is accounted for by the generator, water pump, chain saw, fuel, tools, etc. With this much weight, the truck is not it's usual peppy self going up steep hills.

Anyway, please post a link before commenting on liability, "going to kill a family" and the like. Opinions are like ******** but as far as all my investigation goes, I have not encountered any enforcement of "ratings" unless specific tire capacities are exceeded.

I would far rather encounter on the road someone who knows what they are towing, has appropriately maintained their vehicle, has good tires, bearings, etc., and is driving a reasonable speed (for me, with this load, that's 60 MPH), even if in excess of published "ratings" than the usual "wow my truck can haul this improperly loaded trailer with unadjusted and unmaintained brakes 75 MPH across a mountain pass!"

But maybe that's just one opinion. . . Yes, I have one too :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
Considering the litigious nature of the society that we live in, why would anyone publicly document they are knowingly exceeding the manufacturer's ratings?

I'm sure that you and truck can handle it, but why provide a public record that you're doing it?

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
If you reworded this paragraph as follows would you still come to the same conclusion?

I would far rather encounter on the road someone who, in their opinion, thinks they know what they are towing, thinks they have appropriately maintained their vehicle, think they have good tires, bearings, etc., and think they are driving a reasonable speed (for me, with this load, that's 60 MPH), even if in excess of published "ratings" than the usual "wow my truck can haul this improperly loaded trailer with unadjusted and unmaintained brakes 75 MPH across a mountain pass!"
Personally, I really don't care what you do to, or with, your truck but you only have to read some of the threads and "opinions" on this forum and others to know that good judgment is sometimes nowhere to be found and that many times people think they know more about a subject than they really do. Just my two cents....

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately dude, the 'knows what they are doing' statements could easily be interpreted as 'think I know what I am doing'. Maybe you are right, maybe you are not. Just because a rule/rating is not enforced doesn't mean it is safe or wise to break/exceed it. Essentially, you are stating you know more about it than the engineers who designed it. Yeah, I know they build in some margin for safety, but still.

And now this post is out there forever. So, if you DO have some kind of incident, even if it has nothing at all to do with the overloading, any decent lawyer for the other side is going to do a deep internet search and pull up this thread. Maybe you take 8 feet longer to stop than you would have if you had been below the maximum. Plenty of time to hit something you didn't want to.

Not getting at you at all man, just telling you how it could look if it all goes pear shaped one day.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
only thing i ever enforced on a tow rating deal is i did write a citation for over capacity to a dude pulling a tandem axle trailer loaded with metal scrap (was enclosed box full of washers/dryers/wheels/etc). weight on the portable scales was around 7500 lbs....with a 900 lb tounge weight. my truck would have handled it just fine. his 93 buick century on the other hand......the chains werent dragging the ground. the hitch was. oh and he didnt have chains. he said he was afraid they would catch on something and make him stop.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
That's awesome Barney. Cops get to see tons of funny $hit!!

·
Banned
444 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts