Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
! NOTE: THERE'S A NEW VENDOR IN TOWN - LINKS TO THE NEW MODULE IN THIS POST !

Folks, as of midnight tonight (Sept 31st), I'm out of the AIP Bypass module business. Another outfit is taking over where I left off - same design as mine, and based on my knowledge of their capabilities, quality is always at the top of their list. I'll update this thread with links to their Ebay ads as soon as they're posted.

I'm involved in numerous other business ventures (I currently own three small corporations) that take up more time than I have left in the day. The wife is getting tired of my late nights and crazy working schedule, so something had to give.

Many thanks to all members who've purchased from me! The new vendor is doing a great job with these kits - I highly recommend them!

<Original post...>
If you've got a late model 4.7L or 5.7L engine, you're probably aware of the issues with the AIP failures, and the over the top dealer costs to get this issue fixed. There's plenty of information on the forum related to this topic, and there's a few choices that can help. One is a DIY method - a few parts you can easily scrounge up, a bit of wiring, and you're good to go. Another method, introduced by a member of this board is a nifty module that splices into your existing wiring. It does take a bit of expertise with a soldering iron, but it's certainly easier than the do-it-yourself method, and even at the current asking price, it's FAR less expensive than what your dealer will charge. Of course, anything that bypasses federally mandated emmisions system can't be used on vehicles on public roads.

A good friend of mine had the exact same issue with his 05' Tundra, and after doing some research, I figured I could do a better job - after all, I spend a fair amount of my life developing electronic widgets (some I sell, most times I'm doing work contracturally for others). My biggest issue I wanted to solve was the requirement to modify the wiring harness. First of all, it's not as easy as it sounds - sure if you're handy with a soldering iron, it's not all that tough, but still, I really don't like the idea of modifying the harness. What happens if you sell the vehicle, what about mandatory emmissions testing that some states require? I set out to develop a system that did the same job as the other bypass systems, but would easily plug in to the existing wiring. That way, you can remove it at will should the need arise.

After a few months of succesful testing of my device here in Georgia, I gave a few away to some other board members here for testing on their vehicles - and my module is working just as designed - no more CEL codes associated with this system, no more limp mode issues.

So here's where things are at - I built up 10 production units, and placed the ad on Ebay Tuesday the 4th. They sold out quickly. Based on that, I've gone into production with the boards, and we'll have them in stock ready to ship by 18 Mar 2014 (perhaps sooner if my potting compound gets here before then).

If you're unfamiliar with the AIP issues, and you've got an 04 -> 12 Toyota or Lexus with a 4.7L or 5.7L engine, you might want to do a bit of research on the forum, there's plenty of information available detailing exactly what the problems are.

Thanks!

Georgia Dave

Update 10/1/2014 - the new vendor kits are now on Ebay:

4.7L -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/162582156626?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

5.7L -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/151681454665?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

Attachments

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
And it works perfectly.

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to test GeorgiaDave's module, so after I installed the module and the provided blockoff plates, I drove to Chicago with the Tundra to give it a workout. Well, really I was visiting relatives.

With the previously installed bypass systems, I would get occasional (once or twice a week) Code P011B - Engine Coolant Temperature/Intake Air Temperature Correlation faults: I think I have a few sensitive circuits in the ECU, or the bypasses might have been inducing switching transients right at the time the ECU was making some tests or decisions.
I am pleased to report that there were no such fault code episodes with this module. No problems at all, in fact. No faults and no codes pending. It's working flawlessly!

I think one of the best features is that it plugs in between the MAF/AIT unit plug and connector. No soldering and no wire cutting.
Module.JPG

Now everyone who wants to bypass their Secondary Air Injection System, or wants to have a bypass standing by "just in case" and who doesn't relish the thought of cutting into a perfectly good wiring harness - can have it. And the price is very reasonable, especially when you consider the ease of installation and removal.

Steve

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Making more - absolutely! I ordered parts last week, and we're building up 100 units over this weekend. My only delay is the potting compound, which is on it's way. All the weather around the US last week caused some delays in shipments.

I test my boards before potting, and after, just to make sure. Even though the epoxy is dry to the touch in 4 hours, I always let them sit 24 hours before final testing.

I'm also planning on putting them up for sale on the web outside of Ebay - I'll post the link here when it's ready to go.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,456 Posts
I have had one of these modules installed on my '07 for over a month now.
The module install took about 2 minutes. It has worked perfectly since installed.
Almost all of the cold starts since the module was installed have been in below freezing temperatures, a few below zero (one at -13).
I have not installed the block off plates yet. I need to wait for better weather to do that.

Edit: Dave's module has been installed for a full year now, still working perfectly!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW, even though my competitor wants to take the low road by calling my module 'cheap' and a 'rip-off', threatening to sue me, etc., I won't stoop to name calling here. In fact, feel free to buy the other system if you're comfortable doing that, I have no reason to suggest otherwise, and in fact, as is evidenced on my posts here, I promote that potential customers do their homework and decide which system makes the most sense for them. Frankly, name calling and empty threats are both childish and somewhat telling.

My design is simple, and as I've stated publicly, is based completely on the public domain circuit devised by, tested, and used by members of this board, well prior to my competitors product being placed on the market (and, of course, my own). My version is fully automated, rather than relying on a physical switch, but the concept is virtually identical, and anyone with a reasonable degree of discrete circuit design experience could duplicate my module with little effort. What I bring to the table is the ability to mass produce a high-quality kit. My company has the resources that allow me to do this - most folks don't have that luxury. Am I making, or plan on making a living with it? Heck no. But it's an addition to my bottom line in a troubled economy. I am, at heart, a capitalist, and make no apologies for that.

When my friends Tundra started having issues with his AIP system, he pointed out that there was a kit that could be purchased to resolve this issue, and a DIY system published on this board. As an engineer, my interest was piqued, and I decided that I'd put one together just for the fun of doing it. I realized early on that cutting the wires was a big no-no for me, so I set out to make a plug-and-play version. The tons of knowledge publicly shared on this board, along with a few months of testing and tweaking led to the development of my kit.

I personally would never cut into my factory wiring if I had an option not too. That's my opinion, but I don't for one moment feel that everyone should agree with me. As always, it should be up to the consumer, not the seller, as to what they want to buy.

I evaluated the existing market for such a device, and found the competition to be thin. To the best of my knowledge, the only two systems that I could find were the rather overpriced (IMHO) 'splice and solder into your wiring harness' kit, or the DIY method.

Regarding my block-off plates, I could have relied on the publicly displayed drawings of the block-off plates, but instead, purchased a set from Toyota, measured them accurately, and even posted the results publicly on this board for both the 4.7 and 5.7 engines. My plates are precision cut using water-jet technology from 18 ga 304 stainless steel, which are then de-burred in a vibratory tumbler. If I was mass producing, I would punch them out; it would be nice to put my old 8-Ton punch press back to work, but the volumes aren't high enough, and never likely will be, to build the rather expensive punch and die sets.

Competition is one of the cornerstones of business in this great country of ours! I guess not everyone feels the same as I do, but another wonderful aspect of the US of A is our ability to have our own opinions. Just look what competition has done for the consumers of this particular product - the only historically available product for sale has just been dropped in price by nearly 1/2 - it's a win-win for consumers.

·
Forum Admin
8,219 Posts
Since June 2013, the patent world is FIRST TO FILE; first to invent no longer flies. You have to file for a U.S. Patent on your technology in order to claim ownership and technology rights.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once a product has been disclosed in public (for example, the public domain DIY circuit shown on this forum), or if a product is sold publicly prior to patent submission, it is considered prior art, and no longer can be patented. I asked pxsp to put up or shut up regarding his supposed patent - I also offerred to immediately withdraw my product if I was indeed stepping on his patent claim(s). No further word, as I expected. The only result was his dropping his price, and making unsubstantiated claims that my product was somehow a rip-off of his.

Based on that kind of logic, Henry Ford ripped-off Gottlieb Daimler. Thankfully, he did, or I suppose none of us would be driving a truck without a DMG emblem on the front...

To be honest, I have no clue how his circuit functions, nor do I care. I know how mine works, and I know that it works well enough that I'm comfortable selling it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After reading volumes of information both here on this site (kudos to all who've presented data here!), and from the Toyota service manuals, I currently have a very rough prototype circuit in hand that should mimic virtually all of the functions of the AIP bypass system - the issue is how best to package it for the various potential systems out there. That's a huge job, and there are a number of hurdles in the way.

I'm anxiously awaiting arrival of my recently purchased Techstream scanner to help determine just how close I am with this circuit.

If you've got a late model Tundra and you're interested in being a beta tester for our latest module, please let me know! If you're running a pre-2012 4.7 or 5.7, chances are, what's out there now is sufficient.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have a 2013. I noticed that you list up to 2012. Does this not work on a 2013?

I am interested in an AIP kit to cover failures on the trail. I am frequently miles from help and I think this product would be a helpful addition to my spares kit due to the plug and play nature of it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
osidepunker, for the moment I can't be certain if my bypass will function on the 13' and 14' models, based on everything I've read, it will not. You might want to check with pxsp on his module - he only advertises it for up to 2012 models, but he may have more info on this subject. His primary post can be found here: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/229399-air-induction-pump-bypass-module-aip-21/.

The module I'm working on right now WILL function on the 13' and 14' models, but it's a ways away from production. If you're interested in being a beta tester, PM me and I'll add you to my list.

I have a 2013. I noticed that you list up to 2012. Does this not work on a 2013?

I am interested in an AIP kit to cover failures on the trail. I am frequently miles from help and I think this product would be a helpful addition to my spares kit due to the plug and play nature of it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
KoBear;

The standard kit will work fine with a supercharger - it's just a matter of telling the computer at startup to ignore the AIP test sequence. Once that sequence is completed, the module reverts your system back to normal operation.

I think a large market is for those folks with aftermarket exhausts - if there's no place to attach the AIP / exhaust interface, you pretty much HAVE to bypass the system.

I have a 2011 that is about to be supercharged. Would like more info.

-The man. The myth. The legend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey georgiaDave, does this unit work on the flex-fuel motor?I would think it should.I tried to get you on e-bay but could not get the item #correct.I have had the EMC w/add code now the pump runs about 5 sec. after motor shutdown.Thanks for any help

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jokerswild - can you tell me the make/model/year/engine size? I've got complete access to all Toyota/Lexus/Scion technical documentation, I'll be happy to look it up and let you know. Can't imagine that it wouldn't work though...

·
Registered
1 Posts
GeorgiaDave. I am interested in your system for a 2013 as well. Does the circuit keep the valves from cycling? On my 2010 they only cycled on startup. On my 2013 they run at startup and do some sort of open close cycle at shut down. Do the block off plates need to be used if the system is new and healthy? For example if they are closed and functioning will your plug in circuit keep them from ever opening? Is the circuit detectable once removed for warranty work? I want to run it without voiding my warranty and would like to wait till the warranty expires to put plates in.
Thanks for your time and efforts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jared;

Unfortunately, our current kit will only function properly on 2011 and earlier models, and 2012 models 'without' the most recent ECM flash from Toyota. I was talking with a Toyota representative today about the changes made since 2012, and in an effort to reduce failures in the secondary air injections system, later models now run the pumps regardless of ambient conditions at startup. In theory, this will reduce issues caused by water infiltration in the pumps and valves.

That said, I do have a circuit that completely mimics ALL of the signals given by the secondary injection pumps, the switching valves, and the pressure transducers. This system, in theory, will work in virtually all models using the secondary air system.

This circuit is definitely not ready for release - there are a number of cabling issues that I have to overcome, and due to cabling, it's many times more complicated than the current kit.

On any system designed to bypass this system, installing the block-off plates is definitely recommended to reduce the chance of exhaust gases backing up into places it was never designed to reach. If the switching valves fail in the open position, the exhaust gases could potentially wreak havoc on the system.

We are doing final testing right now on our kits for some of the other engine combinations - we've got block-off plates on order, and as soon as they arrive, we'll be releasing those kits also. The market is somewhat limited, but there's no reason not to release them.

Based on where we are with our new circuit, we're honestly months away from releasing this to the public - but if you, or anyone else reading this is perhaps interested in helping us beta test this before release, please PM me here on this board.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello GeorgiaDave.

I am very interested in your newer unit. Does your new unit give me the option to delete the whole system?
There is no laws in my country saying I need this system. I have a 2008 5.7.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 56 Posts