Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I read something in this forum about the 2001 Tundra wheels being tough to balance and it mentioned something about a jig used to mount the wheel on the spin balance machine. I need a little more info and I'd like to know if anyone has had this same problem. Also does anyone know of a Toyota Technical Service Bulletin on the subject. I have the original tires (Dunlop) and it seems that the dealer can't get them balanced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unbalanced Tires

I have a 2002 with 8200 miles on it and it's on it's second set of Dunlop tires. I just had another tire (from the second set) with less than 4000 miles on it replaced because it was out of round. If you watched it on the spin balancer there was no doubt where the vibration was coming from. It balanced with 5oz. of weight (too much) but it was still out of round. The new tire took much less weight to balance. The Dunlop's seem to run good up to about 3500 miles and then start going to crap. I work with a gentleman that had a 2000 TRD with the BF's on it and it was smooth as silk until he replaced them with a set of Daytons he started chasing vibrations then. Another lady that works with us bought a new car (not a Toyota) and had to have 3 bad tires replaced the next day! Are we to assume, given the technology level of our times, it is impossible to make a ROUND tire!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
spudster said:
Ok I read something in this forum about the 2001 Tundra wheels being tough to balance and it mentioned something about a jig used to mount the wheel on the spin balance machine. I need a little more info and I'd like to know if anyone has had this same problem. Also does anyone know of a Toyota Technical Service Bulletin on the subject. I have the original tires (Dunlop) and it seems that the dealer can't get them balanced.

Tundra wheels are not hard to balance, and do not need the lug-centric adapter.

As already said, the tires aren't the best. Find a shop with a Hunter GSP 9700 balancer, and if they know what they're doing and can't get a balance, you have a bad tire.
http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

The other possibility is that the balance is OK and any shimmy you feel is from alignment. Search for DJ's alignment spec. It works very well, and can cure shimmy that feels like balance. His spec is a tighter range within Toyota's too-wide spec, so you will get no legitimate arguement from any alignment tech. It needs to be done on a Hunter machine...your search will show the explaination for that.

Ken
Ken

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
spudster said:
The Tundra steel wheels are lug-centric and need a Haweka adapter for the balancer. The Tundra aluminum wheels are hub-centric and do not need the adapter.

tcbdp said:

Are we to assume, given the technology level of our times, it is impossible to make a ROUND tire!
No, but you don't get quality unless you buy quality. If you want quality, then DON'T buy a tire because of its low price, or because you like the raised white letters, or because the tread looks mean as hell -- buy a tire because it's made by a company that is known for making high quality tires.

I buy only Michelin. Having seen THOUSANDS of tires on wheel balancers, I believe Michelin is the only company that makes tires that are round.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts