Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
im lookin to rattle can paint for my rearend and frame as a touch up ,so it doesnt look like crap all rusty and worn from the road. . what are some good paints i can get that wont flake later on and that will actually last me more than a few seasons . . . any pointers . . . . any one else do this with there's ?? thanks

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts
The paint flaking or not is very dependent on your prep work. Any flat black Rustoleum rattle can will work fine. I've used it on my axle and rear diff. Wire brushed the hell out of it, cleaned it pretty good, degreased it, dried it, then painted a half dozen light coats. Still looks decent today. And the paint went on almost two years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Not everyone wants to play underneath, but, if you want to detail (and also improve the looks) the prep work is the key. Results all depend on what you start with as metal condition. Sanding, wire brush, etc makes a big difference. How well you mask items to NOT paint, like overspray on shocks, etc adds to the detail.

A little primer for bare spots and professional epoxy spray *can is okay* leaves a nice look. I have pics in my cardomain location and gallery here, but, here is 1 pic from my "Spring detail" last year which is now a 10 year old Tundra. I know...anal detail, but, when people follow me, especially at night, it sure lights up nicely to show the Toy.

I actually did the whole frame underneath (take parts off and put back on), with front and rear detailing which added to my "RED powdercoat" project for key suspension parts, etc. The exhaust was done the same way, except in high heat like 1200 deg. The body of this truck gets more detail to protect the paint, but, that is another thread...

I like the results, but, I am a little crazy about detailing and enjoy it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys . . . . . . .and yea definitely prepping what im painting . . jbtoy your a fukkin nut job !!!!!!!!!!! haha and thats y we all love your truck !!!

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
thanks guys . . . . . . .and yea definitely prepping what im painting . . jbtoy your a fukkin nut job !!!!!!!!!!! haha and thats y we all love your truck !!!
Gracias amigo for the compliment!!! Take your time and you will like the look.

More detail for the engine bay coming this Spring..do I dare post what crazy detail I have done to get to next level...???...;);)

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Not everyone wants to play underneath, but, if you want to detail (and also improve the looks) the prep work is the key. Results all depend on what you start with as metal condition. Sanding, wire brush, etc makes a big difference. How well you mask items to NOT paint, like overspray on shocks, etc adds to the detail.

A little primer for bare spots and professional epoxy spray *can is okay* leaves a nice look. I have pics in my cardomain location and gallery here, but, here is 1 pic from my "Spring detail" last year which is now a 10 year old Tundra. I know...anal detail, but, when people follow me, especially at night, it sure lights up nicely to show the Toy.

I actually did the whole frame underneath (take parts off and put back on), with front and rear detailing which added to my "RED powdercoat" project for key suspension parts, etc. The exhaust was done the same way, except in high heat like 1200 deg. The body of this truck gets more detail to protect the paint, but, that is another thread...

I like the results, but, I am a little crazy about detailing and enjoy it.

Outstanding attention to detail! You have inspired me to get on a project I have put on the backburner. Thanks.

For any that might be interested, Eastman's makes great frame paint. I have purchased from them, and am happy with the quality. I used them for material and some hardware to do my own spray in liner on another truck.

Again, I love your work!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Napa used to sell a "semi-flat" black. Yes semi-flat not semi gloss. It was a perfect match for factory undercarriages and the like. Good stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Looks REALLY good JB!! Did you paint the Underside of your bed black too?

<TUNDRA>
Just got back from Business travel and catching up. Thanks for the comment. Yes, all underneath is all painted
or powdercoated for detailing and protection.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've used a product called ZeroRust paint for my undercarriage needs. Comes in rattle cans, pint cans, or gallon cans and is thick enough to be brushed on if you desire. Not an epoxy 2-part, so it is easy to useand wont fade. Not terribly fussy for surface prep, so good results are easy to acheive. I like it for this reason. Not spraying means easy to do touch-ups where problems are starting and don't have to kill a bunch of time masking everything. I've tried other products too, but for undercarriage this is all I use now. And gravel guard for wheel tubs. Dries hard like bed liner. Stay away from any asphalt products; they just make a mess of everything down there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts