Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Under Budget on my Gen 1 Stock Tundra - Where to put the extra cash???

7K views 37 replies 8 participants last post by  Lunas 
#1 ·
Well I budgeted $12k for a truck. Spent $8k on a 2005 double cab limited black in color I couldn't pass up. Bone stock 215,000 miles, dealership babied and from the original owner. I need to make this old man truck look young, healthy and maybe even a bit angry. I know there's a ton of threads already but I want to hear your top priorities!

Suspension? What kind & why
Stereo upgrades?
Fog horn? jk

I want to have fun with this one. LMK your thoughts and I'll log the progress.

Cheers

See less See more
#3 ·
What are your goals with the truck? What you intend to do with it means a whole lot when it comes to what you upgrade. Rock crawler, over lander (sorry for the term but it describes it self pretty well) or just daily driving around town with some occasional dirt road....

There are so many things you can do, it all just depends what you find to be the best way to spend your time and money

#7 ·
Do you want my bank account info so you can direct deposit it for me from your account in Dubai? LOL
Nice looking truck. Exhaust sound is what I love about my 2002 V8. I also like the controversial cold air intake and throttle body spacer looks and sound.
Never mind about sending me the money I just got an email where I won $2,000,000 and all I have to do is send them $2000 to process it. My lucky day...
Enjoy you new truck.
Chap

#8 ·
Do you want my bank account info so you can direct deposit it for me from your account in Dubai? LOL
Nice looking truck. Exhaust sound is what I love about my 2002 V8. I also like the controversial cold air intake and throttle body spacer looks and sound.
Never mind about sending me the money I just got an email where I won $2,000,000 and all I have to do is send them $2000 to process it. My lucky day...
Enjoy you new truck.
Chap

🤣 Thanks for the input. After looking at it for a while I need to update the wheels.

Thinking Method rims and a Falken 285/70/17. Pretty sure even without a lift that will fit. Maybe some minor rub..

Could use an upgraded stereo/Bluetooth also. Haven't figured that one out yet.

#9 ·
My opinion 5100s one notch up from stock, the DC trucks sit super low in the front. It won't be a huge difference but you also won't run into alignment issues.

New set of wheels/tires, 265/70/17 work well without any rub and being an 05 you won't easily be able to correct the speedo.

A double DIN Carplay/Android Auto headunit with front/rear cameras would be nice.

Then a dash cam for peace of mind.

Oh and get rid of the gold stripe :LOL:

#11 ·
My opinion 5100s one notch up from stock, the DC trucks sit super low in the front. It won't be a huge difference but you also won't run into alignment issues.

New set of wheels/tires, 265/70/17 work well without any rub and being an 05 you won't easily be able to correct the speedo.

A double DIN Carplay/Android Auto headunit with front/rear cameras would be nice.

Then a dash cam for peace of mind.

Oh and get rid of the gold stripe :LOL:

So skip the width, keep the height. I agree it sits to low in the front. Also instead of getting rid of the gold strip I was going to double down and put a gold stripe on the hood 😅 It has a few bumps and scratches. Debating taking to a body shop or seeing if I can find someone who is slow that might do the work on the side. I've got a heated garage for someone to work in..

#12 ·
I installed a Boss BN965BLC unit in mine. Bluetooth, Navigation, 6.5 inch touchscreen, 3-D display even a back up camera. Fit s nice and works great. Kept stock speakers. Check out www.crutchfield.com You can do vehicle specific search and they are great folks to work with.
Good YouTube video on this unit is available. Chap

Bluetooth is a must, a backup cam would be awesome. I've grown used to them and while polishing up on my skills I took out our trashcans lol

#18 ·
I would say radio with backup cam is a great place to start and then maybe some 5100s and tires. I did 5100s on mine a couple months ago and I can’t begin to tell you how much improved it is. My truck also had a spacer lift (more like a leveling kit) installed by the PO and it finally decided to give up so 5100s were the solution.

With 285/70/17 you will very likely rub even with a small lift but a little plastic trimming you should be fine. I’m running some aggressive MT tires and spidertrax spacers so that also doesn’t help but damn it looks good.

I’m not sure if you need or want the side steps but if you don’t, taking them off will make a big difference on how the truck looks and will almost give it the look of being lifted without actually lifting it

Just my .02

Good luck and keep us updated!

#19 ·
I would say radio with backup cam is a great place to start and then maybe some 5100s and tires. I did 5100s on mine a couple months ago and I can’t begin to tell you how much improved it is. My truck also had a spacer lift (more like a leveling kit) installed by the PO and it finally decided to give up so 5100s were the solution.

With 285/70/17 you will very likely rub even with a small lift but a little plastic trimming you should be fine. I’m running some aggressive MT tires and spidertrax spacers so that also doesn’t help but damn it looks good.

I’m not sure if you need or want the side steps but if you don’t, taking them off will make a big difference on how the truck looks and will almost give it the look of being lifted without actually lifting it

Just my .02

Good luck and keep us updated!

Thanks! I agree on the running board delete. Trying to learn more about the lift kits. My buddy recommended 5100's also and level. Trying to see what it actually costs if I bought and had installed or tackle myself if too much.

What size tires are you running? You have a photo?

#20 ·
It’s not a very difficult job by any means as long as you have the right tools. I had some rusty bolts that didn’t want to cooperate so I ended up cutting a few off as well as breaking a few off but overall not too bad. I went with 5100s with OME 885 up front on the second perch so I got about 2” of lift out of it. I’m running 285/70/17 Geolander G003

#23 ·
Adds up fast! This is the rough game plan so far depending on tax/labor/surprises. Let me know your guys thoughts and what else I might be missing or ways to cut cost!

Oil sending unit $ 35.00
Oil Change $ 35.00
Wiper blades $ 20.00
Headlight bulb upgrade $ 35.00
Falken Tires $ 850.00
Method Rims $1,000.00
TPMS Sensors $ 100.00
Weather tech Floor mats $ 200.00
Media/Bluetooth/Camera $ 300.00
Leveling Kit $ 400.00
Front coils $ 200.00
Detail $ 300.00
Bodywork $1,000.00
Estimated budget $4,475.00

883 coils in front: $200
Front OME 883, 884, 884, 885 Coils 2005-2016 Toyota Tacoma

5100 Leveling kit to go with coils in front, stock leafs in rear: $400
Bilstein 5100 0-2.5" lift front, 0-2" rear shocks 00-'06 Toyota Tundra

Boss Multimedia setup Bluetooth/backupcam/mirror devices/etc: $300
Potentially going this route below pending my phone call with Crutchfield.., YouTube video shows Apple play and Android play with ability to mirror phone for media and nice apps so you could play live sports, Netflix and have google maps, waze etc.
Video

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PF8LXFL/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_fabc_nYu1FbPNT6Z49
Mirroring adapter unknown
Steering when adapter unknown
Additional wire still unknown

Weathertech floor Matts: $200
2005 Toyota Tundra | Floor Mats - Laser measured floor mats for a perfect fit | WeatherTech

Method nr305 rims 17”: $1,000
METHOD 305 NV Rim 17X8.5 5X114.3 Offset 0 Matte Black (Quantity of 4) | eBay

Nitto Ride 285/70/17 tires: $500
Maybe this route, I have and trust the Falkens that are super quiet but I like the price on these.. Anyone have an opinion?
Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70R17 116Q BSW (2 Tires) | eBay
or
Falken AT3W 285/70/17 tires $850
Falken WildPeak AT3W 28034306 Tires | 1010Tires.com Online Tire Store

Heavy duty Detail and leather treatment: $300

Some body work: $1,000?
Idk yet, would like to clean up a bit. Trying to figure out who to use. Still hoping to find a private party to do the work.

Wiper blades: $20

Upgraded headlights: $35
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071R3KTBB/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_fabc_dlC_3gv1Fb2HQQH8D

Oil Sending unit: $30

#24 ·
Not really any need to get new coils unless you decide the old ones are worn out.

The wheels you're showing aren't the correct bolt pattern for your truck

Be careful with the cheap LED replacements, a lot of them scatter the beam badly and end up not as bright as a normal halogen. I've heard good things about these ones though.

You may need to add resistors to get the lights to work correctly though.

#25 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Started going down a rabbit hole on suspension information this morning. See complaints about bilstein riding rough when you lift with the stock coil as it's preloading. Still debating, also have to check when the ball joints were done if I'm adding those to the list..

#26 ·
Look for used Weathertech mats on line around you. Not easy to find for gen 1 but still half the price of new if your willing to wait till a set comes up. And search Husky as well. Just as good and slightly cheaper.

#27 ·
Thanks I'll check it out. Big debate I'm having now is suspension. Found a great deal on Bilstein 5100 struts front and rear but I need new coils. I have a shop by me that's going to lift the truck and check everything out but are pushing for me to do the rough country instead. So many mixed reviews on them. Bilstein looks to be the more attractive option but there's mixed info on the coils to buy with them. If they give me a good deal and back the work I might just move forward instead of spending hours over thinking everything and reading reviews lol.

#28 ·
If you're set on new springs I'd skip 5100s and do a complete unit. They make the whole thing a bolt in affair and you could do it in the driveway with hand tools. Just be aware that no matter what option you choose around 2.5" is where you may run into alignment issues and need new UCAs also. There's a discount code floating around another forum for Toytec if you go through them.

Shocks

UCA

#29 ·
Haven't updated in a while and one thing I found to be very annoying on a lot of these threads is people never close the loop so I won't be that asshole lol. Now I've only got about 10 miles on the current setup but I can tell you it is a night and day difference between the way it rides. Tighter and smoother. Will be looking to run through a few snow piles and over some curbs :ROFLMAO:

I'll put original and updated photos.

What is now done:
Rough Country lift with Coils, old ones were shot and just a block in the back.
No upper control arms - leaving stock, if they break someone can say I told you so..
New tie rod ends
New Old sending unit - still not reading oil pressure but no engine noise, oil high on dipstick and definitely drives like it has pressure so I will need to dig further into that.
Method 304 wheels - Went with these for two reasons. Tired of black on black trucks and I got them as takes off brand new for $100/each
Falken Wilkpeak AT3 275/70/17 - barely rubs the right front fender when turning right, easy fix. Tires are great, we run them on our other vehicle so I stuck with them
New TPMS sensors, no more blinking light!
New stereo & backup cam with android auto/apple car play, went with Crutchfield per your feedback. Fantastic move, couldn't recommend them enough. Still took me forever to install but hey, I move slow and it was done right.
Weathertech floor matts
Professionally detailed.
Decided against the diff drop after doing more research and working with the shop I had put the lift in. Controversial topic it seems but I'm comfortable with the decision.

Right at budget but of course going to add some last minute touches. Think I found a clean way to add an HDMI port to play movies/live sports on deck and mirror to the back seat DVD player. Sounds like it will work in theory. I'd imagine for road trips that would be fun for the family..
Found some really cool steering wheel covers I'd like to try that I found on the FB Tundra group.
OEM oil sending unit and some research to get that resolved.
Maybe some metal/offroad running boards. Even with that little lift my short ass has to yank my way in with the oh shit handle.
Haven't drove much at night but will brighten the bulbs if they don't impress me and I think that's about it.
Probably remove the pinstrip. If I keep it long enough get a few small dents out..

Let me know your thoughts or if you have any questions. Hope this helps so others out there beating their head against the computer desk overanalyzing every last thing can get some ideas on simple upgrades that IMO go a long way.

Before:

After:

#31 ·
And spray the piss out of that frame with Por 15 or Fluid Film or some other rust inhibitor. You've got a nice looking ride there so keep it that way.

#32 ·
I am not going to tell you to do something illegal but it has been said that some folks take that wire from their unit that goes to the parking break and just hook it to a ground. Then you can play DVD while driving. Those scoundrel's even show you how to do that on You Tube.....
Guess you spent all of our money and there is none left for the old Chap.... Truck looks good, enjoy the adventure... Chap

#33 ·
:ROFLMAO: Well obviously I followed protocal and did not ground that wire to anything but the parking brake. That unit doesn't have a DVD insert. It does have AV inputs in RCA form. RCA to HDMI, mounted nice & Secure. Then HDMI is the limit, can convert from USBC. The tricky part is tapping into the old DVD ceiling mount player without taking apart the interior of the truck..

#36 ·
i would spend the extra on maintenance items and upgrades like service the transmission and timing belt those two should shore up the money you saved. I would get under it and look at the frame and other parts to see how rusty it is there and oh are the breaks like stepping into pudding the lpsv might need adjusting and the rear drums might need adjusting.

#37 ·
Timing belt and water pump were already recently done. Found out the frame was coating as part of the limited service campaign. Looks like they did a crap job but it was done. Rear drums definitely feel like they need adjustment, too must pedal travel for me.

What's LSPV?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.