Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need/want to clean the underbody of my truck. It brings me shame. It looks bad and I'm looking at everyone else's underbody and they look so good. Can ya'll help me. I'm not sure where to start besides hand sanding as much as I can down.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I agree with the Masta, that's not bad at all!

The process I use is KBS Coatings which is very similar to Por15.

Stop Rust - Gas Tank Sealer - Gas Tank Liner - KBS Coatings - RustSeal in Colors

Just follow the steps they describe and you should get good results.

Also, I use the Rust Blast on pretty much everything I paint.

Ultimately it's how much time and effort you are willing / wanting to put in. Personally I

would disassemble as much as I could and prep / paint and reassemble, but that's just me.

I am sure JB can give some pointers, but really that's a good place to start.

Good luck and post some pictures of your progress when you get started.

<TUNDRA>

Attachments

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I was looking into getting a little gravity fed sandblaster, does any one think that would be a good was to get rid of the rust on the undercarrage aposed to sanding? And <TUNDRA> that is one clean a** under carrage, good job man, nice to see people take that extra step and pride in there trucks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That is one clean undercarriage you've got there Tundra . . . and you live in WI? You are good . . . really good at keeping her clean :D

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I need/want to clean the underbody of my truck. It brings me shame. It looks bad and I'm looking at everyone else's underbody and they look so good. Can ya'll help me. I'm not sure where to start besides hand sanding as much as I can down.
How far do you want to go and how much detail do you want? Like <Tundra> which is excellent, many ways to get there, just depends on end result and work you want to do. You are actually in good shape to start with, as I do not see any serious rust under there in your pics. That will make this easier to work with. I have my detail posted in other threads, but, happy to share my approach to detailing based on what you want for finished look. Shared in other threads, and maybe posted too much, but, here are a couple of pics of detail underneath on a 10 year old Tundra. *detail done in 2009

Front end:

Back end:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What did you use as the paint John? I'm afraid of ordering because I don't know how much I'll end up using and all. So I'm thinking more of like Advance products. I want to do the gas tank, bed underbody. Basically everything but the tranny I guess. and I don't know about taking stuff apart since this is my only vehicle with a tag on it so it's my daily driver. I'm off wednesday's and thursday so those are the day combo i want to use.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I recommend you use rustoleum rust reformer spray, what it does is convert chemically the rust to paintable primer. Then I would coat it using 2-3 coats of rustoleum stain black paint.

Held up on many a truck Ive had for years this way with little if any rust coming back.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks CJ. I'll probably do this project in a few weeks. I work as a restaurant and a student so I have a lot of stuff going but this is probably on the top of my to do list, below getting my leveling kit on and above waxing the truck.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I recommend you use rustoleum rust reformer spray, what it does is convert chemically the rust to paintable primer. Then I would coat it using 2-3 coats of rustoleum stain black paint.

Held up on many a truck Ive had for years this way with little if any rust coming back.
This is one of many options for ya to clean and protect the Tundra. Good choice.

What did you use as the paint John? I'm afraid of ordering because I don't know how much I'll end up using and all. So I'm thinking more of like Advance products. I want to do the gas tank, bed underbody. Basically everything but the tranny I guess. and I don't know about taking stuff apart since this is my only vehicle with a tag on it so it's my daily driver. I'm off wednesday's and thursday so those are the day combo i want to use.
I realized early on that the Gen 1's had a problem so I did not let it get to damage stage. Good cleaning, grind and/or sand and then primer before industrial epoxy black. The other change I did, I added powdercoat application for sway bars, springs, lift, skid plate which is more durable. When put together, gives the total look I shared. You are on the right track though to clean it up and give it some protection. It will help your Tundra to look good and last a lot longer.

·
Registered
335 Posts
And <TUNDRA> that is one clean a** under carrage, good job man, nice to see people take that extra step and pride in there trucks.
That is one clean undercarriage you've got there Tundra . . . and you live in WI? You are good . . . really good at keeping her clean :D
ya thats like a show truck... jealous
Like <Tundra> which is excellent
Thanks for the comments guys!!

<TUNDRA>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts