Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone bother undercoating or doing rust protection to their truck?

I wouldn't think anyone is doing Line-X to their bed but I've been wrong before.

Spot

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Wrong again!!! lol :) - See the yellow sticker on the rear window? (Line X)-- Do a search on Line-X, you'll be surprised at how many do use it... There's RHINO Liner too... --- I haven't done undercoating since my 1976 Camaro...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Nope -- for several years, vehicles have been built with plenty of corrosion protection, and additional undercoating is primarily a cash cow for dealerships. In fact, they can do more harm than good -- if metal gets scratched underneath the coating, moisture can be held in and rust can spread unseen until it's too late... :td:

·
Registered
383 Posts
There's an undercoating option you can pick when purchasing the tacomas... at least there was when I purchased mine.. beleive it was like $600 for undercoating, carpet stain something as well as stain resistant seats...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Well, sure, it is available as a dealer add-on, but like I said above, the primary benefit is to the dealer's bottom line. Likewise interior (Scotchguard) treatments and paint sealants (wax job) you can do yourself and save several hundred dollars. Ditto etching the VIN on the glass -- big bucks for the dealer, but you can have it done at a glass shop for far le$$.

The OP asked if we would do it, not if it is available. I would not, and now you know why. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: Undercoating ? Try Waxoyl

I have been using Waxoyl on my Toyota trucks for over 10 years with out having any rust form. I have to retreat it every other year or so, but it is better than undercoating because it is wax and oil and not something to capture water underneith it.

Rovers North in VT sells the stuff. It is messy but works great. I am in the Upstate NY rust belt where they mine the salt and spray it right on your vehicles--you get the idea.:D

·
Registered
355 Posts
Wrong again!!! lol :) - See the yellow sticker on the rear window? (Line X)-- Do a search on Line-X, you'll be surprised at how many do use it... There's RHINO Liner too... --- I haven't done undercoating since my 1976 Camaro...
I haven't heard of anyone with an 05+ doing Line-X or Rhino...but I guess they could have...wouldn't really make sense since we don't have a painted bed...

and Stormin...your bed is metal cause if I'm not mistaken you have an earlier model

·
Registered
68 Posts
I do it, but I'm originally from a place that salts the roads 4 to 6 months of the year...

...yeah, most newer cars have better rust protection, but they still rust.

If they don't salt the road where you live I probably wouldn't bother.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts