Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what you guys thought of the Undercover bed cover...

I did some searching and it seems like a while ago some people had some opinions...just wondering if anyone had any new thoughts.

The reason I ask, is my Dad called me today and said that he found them online and thought they looked great. I had been looking for a hard cover for a while and wanted something easy to remove, but still lockable and this looks right up my ally. He even said that when he and my mom come to visit in a couple weeks we could go pick one up if I like it...sounds like a bargain to me.

Just wondering how you guys like the locks...does it look okay not painted on a black truck?

Thanks for any info.

Kai

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have undercover on both my trucks: ford f150 and toyota tacoma. Undercover makes a fine product, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I will say, however, that it takes two people to comfortably remove the cover.

Andy

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have undercover on both my trucks: ford f150 and toyota tacoma. Undercover makes a fine product, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I will say, however, that it takes two people to comfortably remove the cover.

Andy

how do you like the locks? do they hold well? rust?

·
Registered
9 Posts
As I said, I have a cover on each truck. The undercover on my F150 was installed in 2005. So far, the locks have worked fine -- no rust.

The undercover on my Tacoma was installed a few weeks ago on my '07 tacoma. I like the new locking mechanism that came with my tacoma better than the old style that came with my ford. On my old undercover, you have to lock the locks to secure the undercover. On my new undercover, you can turn the locks without locking them -- this secures the undercover in place. Then, if you wish, you can actually lock the locks in place. Order one, and you'll see what I mean. Again, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Andy

·
Registered
108 Posts
I really like my undercover too. When it was first installed there was a problem where if the locks weren't locked with the key they would vibrate to the unlocked position. I got the cover to keep stuff dry and don't usually care about locking the bed up so it was more convenient to leave it unlocked. Anyway, as things loosened up they stopped doing that. My guess is that the latch was tight against the strike and the contact would transmit vibration. As the seals compressed the contact area loosened up so less vibration was transmitted and the lock stopped rotating. It's a theory anyway.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Luv it... I've had my cover since last October.... Locks work great except in very cold weather, the mechanism tends to freeze... Their made of stainless steel and held up well during this past New Hampshire winter... It's a great cover and mostly waterproof... Black is a neutral color and goes with everything.... No need to paint it.... Just be sure you get the upgraded hardware with locks and tonneau light... Overall, I'm very happy with it.....

PS: If you have someone else install it for you, be sure the rubber seal near the rear window is layed over the front rail and not folded in like mine was...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Luv it... I've had my cover since last October.... Locks work great except in very cold weather, the mechanism tends to freeze... Their made of stainless steel and held up well during this past New Hampshire winter... It's a great cover and mostly waterproof... Black is a neutral color and goes with everything.... No need to paint it.... Just be sure you get the upgraded hardware with locks and tonneau light... Overall, I'm very happy with it.....

PS: If you have someone else install it for you, be sure the rubber seal near the rear window is layed over the front rail and not folded in like mine was...
would you happen to have pictures of the light and or rubber seal your talking about?

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
would you happen to have pictures of the light and or rubber seal your talking about?
Yep, here it is... It's right under the tonneau next to the pulldown strap... Believe it or not, these 3 led's really light up well in the darkness.. The light is battery operated and with led's there, they will last a very long time... Don't worry about the rubber seal, it's part of the tonneau and is not seperate... The 2nd pic shows the seal on the bottom folded in... It's not suppose to look like this.... Needless to say, I changed that around... The maual you will get with it, states very clearly how this is suppose to be... If you get one and have it installed by someone else, just check towards the front and check to see if the rubber seal overlaps the rail... Or if you wait while they install it like I did, just mention it to them that the rubber flap in the front needs to be over the front rail... They should already know that but sometimes people get lazy.... I flipped mine back and held it there with electrical tape... So when the tonneau was sitting like it should, I released the tape and fell right into place...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep, here it is... It's right under the tonneau next to the pulldown strap... Believe it or not, these 3 led's really light up well in the darkness.. The light is battery operated and with led's there, they will last a very long time... Don't worry about the rubber seal, it's part of the tonneau and is not seperate... The 2nd pic shows the seal on the bottom folded in... It's not suppose to look like like.... Needless to say, I changed that around... The maual you will get with it, states very clearly how this is suppose to be... If you get one and have it installed by someone else, just check towards the front and check to see if the rubber seal overlaps the rail... Or if you wait while they install it like I did, just mention it to them that the rubber flap in the front needs to be over the front rail... They should already know that but sometimes people get lazy.... I flipped mine back and held it there with electrical tape... So when the tonneau was sitting like it should, I released the tape and fell right into place...

I have the light on the undercover that is on my Tacoma. It's, well . . . poorly designed. As you can see from the above picture that the strap hangs down directly in front of the light. Not the best designed system in my opinion. It's an inexpensive 3-LED light source that is situated behind the pull-down strap. I never use it.

YMMV.

Andy

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
The strap doesn't interfere with the light pointing into the cargo area... When it's dark, it's a nice feature to have...

·
Registered
9 Posts
The strap doesn't interfere with the light pointing into the cargo area... When it's dark, it's a nice feature to have...

:tu:

I just thought that perhaps the light placement could have been designed better, perhaps offset to either side of the strap? I just don't care for the placement of the light. But, I didn't buy the undercover because of the light -- it's a minor issue (really, it's a non-issue for me). I bought the undercover because I think it is one of the sharpest tonneau covers available for the price. In fact, I own two.

Andy

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
In response to his initial question, here is a closer pic of my tonneau... It'll give a better idea of how it looks... If you go to their site, you'll see how it looks on many trucks... It's late in the year and the lighting is not the best... I wouldn't paint it...

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
:tu:

I just thought that perhaps the light placement could have been designed better, perhaps offset to either side of the strap? I just don't care for the placement of the light. But, I didn't buy the undercover because of the light -- it's a minor issue (really, it's a non-issue for me). I bought the undercover because I think it is one of the sharpest tonneau covers available for the price. In fact, I own two.

Andy
I hear what your saying Andy...:tu: I too think it's one of the sharpest as well..

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I have been heavily debating on one of these or a BAK BakFlip Tonneau Cover. Could someone point me in which one is better?
I don't know anything about the Bak Flip cover... Is it as watertight as the Undercover??? With the sliding panels, I wouldn't think so....

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Just my opinion, but Undercover is WAY better than a Bakflip. Also, any cover that COVERS the rails, like an Undercover, will be more water resistant that a cover that does not cover the rails like a Bakflip. If you want a folding cover, take a look at FoldACover (black powdercoated aluminum).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just my opinion, but Undercover is WAY better than a Bakflip. Also, any cover that COVERS the rails, like an Undercover, will be more water resistant that a cover that does not cover the rails like a Bakflip. If you want a folding cover, take a look at FoldACover (black powdercoated aluminum).

Do you know of anyone who has this and how much they like it or faults in it? Water resistant?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm probably going with the Advantage Hard Hat Premier. It offers the protection of a hard tonneau with good security. It has fabric of the state of the art convertible tops...

I don't want to be trapped with my full cover undercover sticking up in the air when we bring home a floor lamp... I tried to get input but not many people have experience with Advantage Hard Hat

I promise a full report!!! :tu: aye :tu:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts