Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just traded my 2003 Tundra on a 2010 Tacoma. I'm looking to purchase a new lid. I had a LEER on the Tundra and it worked out pretty good and looked good, but a real bear to get on and off the truck. So, I'm looking for an alternative to what I had. I found the "Undercover" lid and it is supposed to be much lighter and I like the look (I think).
Anyone know anything about these tonneau covers? Anyone have one? Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks-----

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an Undercover on my 2005 Double cab shortbed. I love it. i was always looking for a cover with the protection of a hard cover but with easy removal and storage. and I dont have to worry about scratching the paint. it is light but it still is easier to remove with two people because of the awkward shape and hanging it on the wall. less than a 5 minute job.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I love my Undercover for my 2010 DC. I've had it for 6 months and it fits great, looks great, and hasn't let a single drop of water into the bed yet. Oh yeah, I've had to remove it to haul stuff a few times. It took all of 2 mins. to take off and hang on the wall with another person helping. I installed my own and that was an easy afternoon process also. It took a little extra time to make sure it was centered properly but I'm glad I did...as I don't have a hint of scratched paint that some people talk about.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. Any pictures of your Undercovers on your Tacoma would be much appreciated. I checked out the Undercover "YOUTUBE" sales video. Pretty impressive, but I wasn't too impressed with the fit on the GMC truck. The fit on the Dodge and the Ford looked good. On the GMC, it appeared like there was an excessive overhang on the rear corner which reminded me of a situation I had when I first bought my Tundra.

At that time (2003), the A.R.E. brochure showed several trucks (not a Tundra) and they all had a nice fit. I ordered one based on what I saw in the brochure. When they installed it on the Tundra I was disappointed to see that there was an overhang on both sides of about 1 1/4". I drove away hoping I would be OK with that but it just looked like it wasn't the correct lid for the truck. I called the dealer about it and he assured me that it was the correct lid. I ended up calling the factory to see if it was correct. They told me that they discontinued the original mold and the one I had was from the new mold. I told them to take this one back and send me one from the original mold. They said the original mold had been destroyed. I guess I just had to live with it. Well, I gave it another week and I just couldn't live with it. I took it back to the dealer and he reluctantly refunded my money.

I ended up buying a used LEER from a guy on this site and it fit great. It held up very well and looked like it belonged on the Tundra. I did take it off ONE time and swore I'd never wrestle with it again. So, the Undercover seems like a good alternative.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Fit and finish look pretty good to me. There are a lot of people going this route. I would too if circumstances had been different (Leer, ARE, and Snugtop were the ONLY makers that had them for the 2nd Gen in Aug 2005 when I had to get one). While it is a pain to remove the Leer due to weight, I can do it by myself in just a few minutes by hanging it from the ceiling. But from what I've seen of the Undercover, it looks sooo much easier to remove/hang/reinstall! Here's a link to someone who just put it on his:
Undercover Tonneau installed Pics - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

Personally, I would go this route in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tacoma with Undercover and Thule bike rack
Thanks for the pic. I was hoping to see the lid on a black Tacoma since that's what I've got. I like the way the rack looks too. The two rails that hold the rack kinda look similar to the newest Undercover SE model. It's got 3 moldings as well as a mini spoiler thing.:ts:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sweet set up! That lid and bike rack has me seriously questioning my own trifold soft cover setup I got from the dealer. Right now, my bike just flops around in the bed and I'm constantly having to adjust my bike's transmission after a bumpy drive in the truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I just traded my 2003 Tundra on a 2010 Tacoma. I'm looking to purchase a new lid. I had a LEER on the Tundra and it worked out pretty good and looked good, but a real bear to get on and off the truck. So, I'm looking for an alternative to what I had. I found the "Undercover" lid and it is supposed to be much lighter and I like the look (I think).
Anyone know anything about these tonneau covers? Anyone have one? Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks-----
I love my Undercover on the Tacoma. Light, easy to put on and off...just love it compared to all the rest.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I love my Undercover on the Tacoma. Light, easy to put on and off...just love it compared to all the rest.
Agreed! Plus, it has never let in any water into my truck bed. I can remove it and replace it myself. I can stand on it if I have to, and it costs half as much as some others. I think I paid about $700 for mine and that was nearly 4 years ago. YMMV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts