Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Admin from Hell
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on dressing up the underside of the hood?

My Corolla has that insulating material installed on the inside so the engine heat does not burn off the paint. But the insulation is kind of dull looking. I washed it the best I could last time I shampooed the engine, but it still doesn't look that good.

What I'd like to have is something like "Back to Black" that I could apply to sharpen up the color. But whatever it is, it must be safe from engine heat.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I presume you are talking about the Corolla, right?

Not sure if it would cost too much, but, for the heck of it, what is replacement cost
as new from Toyota?

How about a local salvage yard, that may have one in better condition than yours?

How about high heat black paint? Not sure that is a good option. If I remember right, this material is like a cardboard type. Just kicking out some ideas for ya.

·
Admin from Hell
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I presume you are talking about the Corolla, right?

Not sure if it would cost too much, but, for the heck of it, what is replacement cost
as new from Toyota?

How about a local salvage yard, that may have one in better condition than yours?

How about high heat black paint? Not sure that is a good option. If I remember right, this material is like a cardboard type. Just kicking out some ideas for ya.
Thanks. :ts:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
we used to custom paint ours all the time over in the vette world... we painted the corvette logo instead of having it just stamped into the material.... i painted mine myself and i painted the whole thing with just flat black spray paint just pop out the clips and take it down...some parts will soak up the paint but just pray another coat or two till its even.

my parents had theirs custom paitned and airbrushed with a mural and they bought a brand new one thinking it would provide the best surface for the painter to use but they painted a base coat of flat black over it anyway so the mural would apply evenly and not soak in on certain spots etc....so...all that to say, just pop it down and spray it evenly with flat black and put it back up. dont have to be high heat...it doesnt get hundreds of degrees anyway or the plastic clips would melt...

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I'm not sure on the corolla if it is removable or not, but if so you could try pressure washing it. That's what I do to floor mats when I detail cars and I am amazed every time how well it cleans them and makes them look new again. It might be worth a shot. Once it's clean I think it would be cool to do an Toyota emblem painted on like what another member mentioned.

·
Registered
657 Posts
***********************************************************************************

After getting it clean spray it with Armor-All or 303 Protectorant .

Quick and cheap.

George60

**********************************************************************************

·
Admin from Hell
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
***********************************************************************************

After getting it clean spray it with Armor-All or 303 Protectorant .

Quick and cheap.

George60

**********************************************************************************
How will it stand up to engine heat?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts