Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was thinking of puttin on a nitrous kit on my truck as i mentioned in another post, however a guy at school w/ a nitrous kit on his camero was telling me that its not good to run a nos kit and a timing advance system(unichip). anyone else know anything about this? how is this bad/ what happens? i only plan to use a 50 shot at the most. i dont want to lose the unichip, so is it one or the other or can i use both. thanks.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
i had nitrous on my integra awhile back. when on a 50 shot, stock timing was ok. at 60, -2 on the timing. at the full 75 shot that i had ran, i had to retard the timing 4 degrees and had 2 step colder plugs. one of my buddies, a very knowledgeable guy, told me why, but i forgot the reason. here is what i found online.

In order to ignite that potent intake charge, good aftermarket ignition systems along with reduced spark plug gaps are needed. A spec of 0.035 inches is a good number for spark plug gap. In addition, colder-heat-range spark plugs are normally necessary to dissipate heat from the plug, averting misfire and plug melting. Normally one or two heat ranges colder is sufficient. "Projected nose" plugs, which reach deep into the combustion chamber, also cause problems because heat can't leave them fast enough. And unfortunately, platinum plugs are not going to cut it either. Platinum is a poor conductor of both spark energy and heat, and this is exactly what you don't want.

Probably the most important thing to remember in terms of the ignition system is not to use too much timing advance. While it's true that when you advance timing, you make more power--until you get to the point of detonation--much less timing is needed to arrive at optimum power with nitrous use. Due to the much higher cylinder pressures generated by a more intense burn, nitrous motors need retarded ignition timing in order to delay the time of peak pressure, keeping cylinder pressures within reason and thus avoiding abnormal combustion.

In this case as well, it's best to follow the guidelines recommended by nitrous system manufacturers when it comes to amount of timing retard required. Often the stock setting is acceptable, but when not shooting the spray, most cars perform better with advanced timing. This doesn't mean that you need to run retarded timing all the time and lose performance when running naturally-aspirated. Companies like MSD Ignition offer a number of devices that allow you to retard timing as needed when the juice starts to flow. A retard unit will automatically retard timing by a user-defined amount whenever the system is turned on. This setup is simple and foolproof. Another device available for retarding timing is an adjustable timing control. This unit has a knob that allows you to adjust timing over a wide range from the comfort of your driver's seat. When you want to use some spray, just turn the knob back to the desired timing and off you go. The disadvantage to this approach is that you have to actually remember to twist the knob back when you are about to use the system. If you can trust yourself to remember this, you'll enjoy on-the-fly, instantaneous timing adjustments for tuning purposes and to compensate for different situations on the street (such as best fuel economy).

A related topic to ignition is an rpm limiter. Many factory limiters work by cutting fuel flow to prevent the engine from spinning faster. This is not what you want, because combining nitrous with spark without sufficient fuel spells trouble. Make sure your limiter works by cutting spark, not fuel. Almost all aftermarket units function in this way.

not too sure how you would advance/retard a distributorless ignition system

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
so i was thinking of puttin on a nitrous kit on my truck as i mentioned in another post, however a guy at school w/ a nitrous kit on his camero was telling me that its not good to run a nos kit and a timing advance system(unichip). anyone else know anything about this? how is this bad/ what happens? i only plan to use a 50 shot at the most. i dont want to lose the unichip, so is it one or the other or can i use both. thanks.
im not bashing you here...but i've always looked at people with nitrous as someone making up for a lack of an engine....i kinda think of it as using steriods in sports. What about a supercharger?? find one used and that will help the cost alot! but its not my truck so more power to you!

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
There is no more cost effective power adder than nitrous. This is by a very wide margin. It makes people angry when you embarrass them at the track with one fifth their investment. :D

It is true nitrous is less forgiving of tuning mistakes though. A lean mixture or detonation and you will have damage in a couple seconds. :cry:

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not bashing you here...but i've always looked at people with nitrous as someone making up for a lack of an engine....i kinda think of it as using steriods in sports. What about a supercharger?? find one used and that will help the cost alot! but its not my truck so more power to you!
s/c, t/c are way outta my price range where as a $600 nos kit isnt too bad. same gains, and i use it when i want to. kind of like the idea of being able to turn it on and off which cant be done w/ forced induction.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Also, I don't know what the laws are in California, but here in Virginia, it is ILLEGAL to have a Nitrous equipped car. Even if you don't get caught by a cop, you will get caught during your annual inspection. Virginia is very anal about some of their automobile laws.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
s/c, t/c are way outta my price range where as a $600 nos kit isnt too bad. same gains, and i use it when i want to. kind of like the idea of being able to turn it on and off which cant be done w/ forced induction.
i think i remember seeing some aftermarket engine parts off boosted tundras....they had cams, and a few other things. might take a look at those too

·
Supportive Supporter
1,142 Posts
Write to Jack at UNICHIP ([email protected]) I'm sure he'll explain to you how the UNICHIP can be set up to work with NOS or boosted induction....I think it's already built into the chip (timing retard under boost or NOS, modify the air/ fuel ratio, etc.) and just has to be connected or turned on.
Tell him Ray at Edwards says Hi! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts