Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the Unichip that I bought off of 02TundraTDTRD finally made its way onto my truck. It was extremely easy to install! I was a little nervous when I started it because it had a hard time finding idle, but it leveled out. Overall it drives the same, but off the line it is a little peppier and it seems to hold higher gears longer when at a low rpm which is very nice! So in addition to all of the things that I have already done (which happen to be the same as his truck), I am very happy with this!

I also got around to prepping my 63" Chevy springs. I put two coats of primer on and two coats of Rust-o-leom Hammered Black paint. Looking back, this may not have been the best way to paint leaf springs, but they can easily be done again if a problem arises.

I pretty much used up an entire cone-type, spiral wire-wheel on these things. It took a lot of time just to prep them, but I'm happy I spent the time to do it. They were going to go on the truck next weekend, but it looks like they may not get on until some time in early/mid July as my guy has some family matters to take care of first. I've also had a hard time getting the correct replacement bushings so I'm almost glad things have been pushed back.

Enough talk, here are the pictures:

My buddy John working away with the wire-wheel while I played with the Unichip. (Don't worry, after a minute of doing this we realized how messy this would be so we grabbed some masks)

Stripped, cleaned, and ready for paint.

First coat of primer on the first set

First coat of top layer going on

OH, and the Brown Truck made a visit :D

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
looking good! gotta love it when the brown truck arrives! hey, those look like my icons... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
If that rust-o-leum doesn't hold up, then I suggest getting a quart of POR15. Yeah your probably looking at almost $50 a a quart but it will give you peace of mind.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Damn you are going to be SET UP!!!!!!!! Whats your plan of attack for mounting those 63's???? I gotta set in the garage, contiplating on buying kit for rear hook up or having my buddy fab mounts up...

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn you are going to be SET UP!!!!!!!! Whats your plan of attack for mounting those 63's???? I gotta set in the garage, contiplating on buying kit for rear hook up or having my buddy fab mounts up...
I bought some pieces from Dan at RuffStuff Specialties for all of this. I have the wayback shackle hanger which will require a custom made mount. For the front mount I originally bought their frenched leaf mount, but that won't work as it is simply too big....and I won't be frenching these springs :rolleyes: Big mistake on my part. They do, however, make a simple mount that I think will work perfectly. It is short and has a reverse slope on the backside which should help with fitment around the stock mount. It's just their basic 3" wide fullsize spring hanger. Also, the last leg on my sliders is almost in the way so it is going to be a tight fit!

I have to give a HUGE shout out to Dan for this. He has helped me a lot with all of this and is willing to exchange the front mounts with me. He is a stand up guy and I'd be happy to do business again with him.

And Tundraman, I had thought about using POR15 but I already had this paint laying around and unopened (for use with my sliders actually). I figured if it doesn't last too long than I'll bite the bullet for the good stuff.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Oooh yes!! I'm watching this thread closely...I guess I have to get Icon's now lol!!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oooh yes!! I'm watching this thread closely...I guess I have to get Icon's now lol!!
And I have to get Camburg UCAs!! ;) It will never end....

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
IT never EVER ends! NEVER!
Especially if you are like me and have no :angrywife: to tell you no!
I'll be keeping an eye on this, always cool to see leaf spring mods.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
Nice!!!!

I just used rustoleum black rattle can paint. It's cheap and easy for touch ups.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice!!!!

I just used rustoleum black rattle can paint. It's cheap and easy for touch ups.
Good to know. These certainly won't win any beauty contests, but I just need it to not rust like my frame :drum:

I have run into some problems with the bushings though. It seems that when I had the bushing pressed out they also took out the metal sleeve that is in the spring eye. Without that the bushings are too small. Now I'm just having a hard time tracking down bushings that are bigger than 1.5" OD to fit these springs. I found one kit so far that may work but have yet to get exact measurements.

And I'm still waiting on the anti-slip pads (if that's what they are called) from a local Chevy dealer. Then once the springs are on it will be new shocks, bumpstops, and brake lines.

.....I guess I should pay this student loan now before I have to buy more stuff :D

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
I have run into some problems with the bushings though. It seems that when I had the bushing pressed out they also took out the metal sleeve that is in the spring eye. Without that the bushings are too small. Now I'm just having a hard time tracking down bushings that are bigger than 1.5" OD to fit these springs. I found one kit so far that may work but have yet to get exact measurements.
You can try this: Energy Suspension Parts - Universal Link - Flange Type Bushings Information

If I remember correctly, when I purchased the bushings I order Energy Suspension kit 3.2128

Even the instructions state to remove the outer metal sleeve but, no mention of replacing. http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/Installation_Instructions/Energy_Suspension/17040.PDF

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Hey Hugemoose, I am glad you like the Unichip!!! Nice job on the leaf springs!!!! (points) I am still workingout syncing issues with my Unichip!!!!!! It will all be good though it is worth the wait... (-:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can try this: Energy Suspension Parts - Universal Link - Flange Type Bushings Information

If I remember correctly, when I purchased the bushings I order Energy Suspension kit 3.2128

Even the instructions state to remove the outer metal sleeve but, no mention of replacing. http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/Installation_Instructions/Energy_Suspension/17040.PDF
That's the only kit I had found that I thought may work. Glad to hear they worked for you. I'll be ordering them tomorrow!

And 02TundraLTDTRD, I am enjoying the Unichip! It seems to be running just fine. It is a little to early to tell how my mileage has been affected, but we will see. So far so good!

I'll make sure to just update this thread as I get more work done on the springs. Right now they are just all painted. I am picking up the friction pads tomorrow from the Chevy dealer. I also picked up new center pins so I'll try to assemble them tomorrow before I go in to work.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I'll make sure to just update this thread as I get more work done on the springs. Right now they are just all painted. I am picking up the friction pads tomorrow from the Chevy dealer. I also picked up new center pins so I'll try to assemble them tomorrow before I go in to work.
Come oooon...:DLOL!!!:beavbutt:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Come oooon...:DLOL!!!:beavbutt:
Haha they are getting there. I put together one set last night. The plastic spacers that fit in between the clamps were pretty worn out. One was actually completely destroyed so I only bought one new one. But, after putting one set together I may just go and buy 3 more new ones.

The old ones are so close to being worn through it's only a matter of time before they go. And I really don't want to have the take these apart again anytime soon. I just don't want to pay another 13.95 per spacer :mad:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
^^Haha, yeah your doing a great job, I'm itching to see how it all turns out. How do you think its going to sit when all said and done; low/high?

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
1.That Unichip sure looks like a mess of wires! Are you sure it was easy to piece that octopus together? I guess if I ever got one I'd have to find a new hidey-hole for the TruSpeed since it sits in that little space behind the vent tube.

2.Rattle can paint is fine, it's cheap and you can respray it anytime since you can get the same paint from anywhere. POR15 is awesome stuff, but they don't sell it at WalMart, or Target, or Kmart, etc.

3.The Donahoes rock. They look just like my used set when mine arrived last summer. You'll love the improved ride.

4. Can't wait to hear the next update!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 22 Posts