Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I have a 2007 Double Cab with 37,000 miles on it. I have a couple sounds I hear when applying the brakes. The sounds are heard on the inside of the cab. There are two sounds I hear. The first one is simply a "click" noise. It happens 100% of the time I apply the brakes. The second sound is more of a "ping" noise. This noise happens immediately after the first sound and occurs about 75% of the time I apply the brakes. I have brought in my truck in multiple times to have it looked at and what I've been told is the first sound is normal. Apparently it's the brake controller switch? Does this make sense to anyone? As for the second sound, the service reps have not been able to get the truck to make the noise on any of their test drives. On my last visit, I actually brought in a recording and played it back to them. They acknowledged that the sound isn't normal, but unless they can hear it for themselves there isn't anything they can do about it. I'm really frustrated and thinking about contacting Toyota directly and asking them to help me out. However, before I do, I would like to hear if anyone else is hearing anything similar. I have attached audio file I recorded. I was in a parking lot and was able to stop and go multiple times. You hear both sounds clearly throughout the recording. Please help!

Thanks,

Mitch

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
well i have a 2007 and no noise when braking at all! NOT NORMAL sound!!!!!!! any idea where about it is coming from? LIKE THE FRONT DISK BRAKES? does it happen when BACKING UP????? TRY ANOTHER DEALER! NOT NORMAL SOUNDS!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Where was the recording device during the test? Pass seat, drivers floor, etc. The clicking noise COULD be the brake light switch/relay but it doesn't sound quite right. If it is that it is normal but you will hear it after applying the brakes even when stopped. Do you hear either/both of these noises after applying the brakes when stopped? The ping sounds kind of like a spring slipping a bit while under tension? Sorry to not be more help. I may be a bit more with the answers to the questions above but no guarantees. ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help everyone. Here is some more info...

The sound seems to coming from somewhere under the steering column. I tried to open the window to hear if its coming from the front disc brakes, but it didn't seem like it was.

The sound happens anytime the brakes are applied; regardless if I'm going forward or backing up.

The recording device (my iPhone) was on the drivers floor during the recording.

The sounds only happen when I initially press my foot on the brake pedal. Once I start coming to a stop or am stopped, the sounds are gone.

Thanks again for the help guys. This is really frustrating me.

Mitch

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if you are stopped without your foot on the brake and then push on the brakes there is no sound?
If I come to a complete stop, release the brake, and then press it again the first click sound will happen. The first clicking sound happens every time I press the pedal; regardless if I was already stopped or am coming to a stop. The pinging sound usually happens when I slow the truck down to come to a stop for the first time. Does this make sense?

Please let me know if this isn't clear and I'll do my best to explain it better. I really appreciate your help in trying to help me out. Thanks for being patient.

Mitch

·
Registered
293 Posts
The first clicking sound could be the brake light relay or something else inside the cab. I would just do a bunch of experimentation to try and find out exactly where it is coming from. With the truck stopped I would stand outside and halfway lay on the floor under the steering wheel. Then push the brake with your hand and see if you can see or feel what is causing the clicking. The pinging is more difficult to diagnose because of the fact that it only happens when moving. I would try mounting a small video camera in different places to see if something appears to be causing the problem. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The pinging sound is the brake pedal assist spring. When the pedal goes down far enough, it stretches this spring and causes it to make noise as it reaches its limit of tension (think of stretching a rubber band with your fingers). You can adjust the pedal pushrod and pedal height if necessary, or you can replace the spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts