Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it necessary to periodically update the Navigation DVD. I have a 2006 Prius and the Navigation system frequently says "left turn" when the map shows "right." Would updating the Navigation DVD fix this??:confused:

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
It might but highly unlikely. But for the price you pay for the map disc (few hundred dollars), it's probably better to just buy a portable navigation such as Garmin.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Sounds like a malfunction, new map disks will up date the maps not the operating system. Is there a way to download updates to the system?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is it necessary to periodically update the Navigation DVD. I have a 2006 Prius and the Navigation system frequently says "left turn" when the map shows "right." Would updating the Navigation DVD fix this??:confused:
All of the navigation software no matter whether it's in a honda, toyota, garmin or Mapquest is made by Navteq. Updating will not help one bit if the mistake is in both sets of software which it most likely is. The only thing that updating does is add new streets, restaurants etc. The nav system does what the software tells it to no matter if it's wrong or right. I have a Honda Pilot with Nav, the woman doing the talking is hard to understand, left turn often sounds like right turn as in flied lice.

gene

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I programmed my OE Nav to sing me my directions using LiLo's voice.

All kidding aside , I would not waste a nickel on a DVD Map update, short of spending the gas needed to get the dealer to do it for free.

The updates are never even noticeable, but are way $$$$.

If there is a major defect to a specific Map DVD , then Toyota would provide it free of charge as in a TSB while under warranty. A they have done recently on certain models of Toys. $250 for a new Map DVD is crazy stupid.

But many Aftermarket GPS's charge too for updates.

BTW Navteq is the main map supplier out there.( for many OE's and aftermarket Nav equipment).

LT

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
BTW, I believe going from Map DVD 5.1 up to 6.1 removes service screen access. A major complaint for many people upgrading.

The "Override" screen is important to owners once yu get used to using it.

Once updated the Firmware is NOT reversible. (Unable to go back to 5.1)

Like a PC , If it aint broken software don't fix it. There are usually caveats. The Latest version is NOT always the Greatest version.

LT

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it possible you've got your display set with "North" always at the top?

Press the red/white (compass) arrow in the top left corner to switch from "North is always at the top of the map" to "the front of the car is always at the top of the map."

If you don't have this problem, it's definitely a software issue. If you know anyone else who has the same car as you, ask them if you can switch disks and test.

Good luck! Chazzman

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Is it possible you've got your display set with "North" always at the top?

Press the red/white (compass) arrow in the top left corner to switch from "North is always at the top of the map" to "the front of the car is always at the top of the map."

If you don't have this problem, it's definitely a software issue. If you know anyone else who has the same car as you, ask them if you can switch disks and test.

Good luck! Chazzman

Addressing a three year old thread.... nice....

the best value approach is to buy a new portable GPS unit - they're much more cheaper than the DVD.

:beavbutt:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts