Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am looking to finally upgrade the stock radio that came in my SR5 2007 Tundra. I was stunned by how bad the stock stereo is as it pales in comparison with the stock radio I had in my Honda but I just haven't had the money to do anything about it. :(

I still have a limited budget and wanted to get the expert's opinions on what to do. In my research it looks like Kenwood is the way to go and I am looking at the DNX6140. I have a portable Garmin mounted on my dash right now and I like the idea of having that built in and the hands free bluetooth so here is my question:

Will I notice a big difference just replacing the HU? Or to put it another way is the HU really the first thing to replace or should I replace the speakers first? I am not looking for perfection, just something that sounds decent so is the head Unit the place to start?

Thanks!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would definitely replace the HU first if it's between one or the other. I added a sub and amplifier before I replaced my HU and was disgusted with the quality of sound. Once I replaced my HU, my sub and OEM speakers sounded instantly cleaner, though I still replaced them the next day.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Kenwood DNX series are great. If you can swing a few more bucks you may consider the DNX-6160 over the 6140 just because it is a bit newer with better user interface. However, you can't go wrong with either. Mount the GPS antenna under your plastic dash on top of an air vent duct and it will work great.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After a bunch more digging around the net I found the 6960. I can't really find what the difference is between the 6160 and the 6960 (both this years models) but I can pick it up a little cheaper and it looks to have a few extra bells (like customizable skins). Anyone know what the difference is?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Use crutchfield to make sure that the head unit fits in the space. Along with the speakers that will fit in the panel with out heavy modification.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, looking at Cruchfield was the answer. Both fit and the difference is that the 6960 adds a wireless remote (optional on 6160), has 5 volt preamps (6160 has 2 volt), and the 6960 has a 2 year warranty where the 6160 has only 1 year. Also as I said before the 6960 has customizable skins (3 to be precise). Thought I would post this in case anyone else was trying to figure it out. I found nowhere on the net that posted this clearly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts