Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any 2008-2009 Tundra Double-Cab Owners Have An Opinion On Upgrading Audio System In Truck. I Have The Stock Audio System In Place; Which Is The AM/FM/6 Disc CD Changer/With XM Satellite Radio Module (Not JBL System) I Feel That The Radio/Head Unit Is Probably OK. However Thinking Of Replacing the Factory Amplifier and the Original Speakers. Have Read Several Posts, But Not Clear On Factory Speaker Size, And/Or What Works Best For Replacement Speakers. Also Plan To Add Sub-Woofer. I Know That Limited Has JBL System, Which Includes Sub-Woofer. Where Is The Sub-Woofer Mounted On Limited? Any Thoughts On This Prospective Upgrade Will Be Greatly Appreciated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
When I had my 2007 D/C I replaced the head unit with an Alpine unit and had the HD radio upgrade installed I had a AUX plug run to the Glove compartment for my music player. I also had an amp and subwoofer installed and used the factory speakers. This set up sounded great with plenty of volume. The factory speakers handled the extra power fine and sounded good. Scosche makes a double din insert made of the same piano finish that the surround of the radio is which gives a factory look with an added compartment under the head unit. The whole upgrade cost me around $800.00 and I couldn't have been happier with it. That's the way to go in my opinion. I would do the same with my 2010 CM but I would lose the bluetooth which I depend on in a hands free phone state. Hope this helps your decision.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Any 2008-2009 Tundra Double-Cab Owners Have An Opinion On Upgrading Audio System In Truck. I Have The Stock Audio System In Place; Which Is The AM/FM/6 Disc CD Changer/With XM Satellite Radio Module (Not JBL System) I Feel That The Radio/Head Unit Is Probably OK.

I'm suprised that yours hasn't broken yet. I was going to do the same thing till mine went out. Ii is a slippery slope, the best thing to do is to replace everything (or an amp & speakers like you plan).

Don't remember the stock size in the front, I installed 6X9s but I plan on replacing those with 6.75in (yeah a wierd size but 6.5s would work too) components because I got tweeter pods from a Limited. The back speakers are 6.5.

·
Registered
141 Posts
A lot of us changed everything out from the head unit all the way to the speakers. If you just add an amp and speakers for now you might think about components up front. The stock size up front is a shallow 6x9 but an adapter is easy to make to drop in a 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 mid with the tweeters in the sails or dash speaker locations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really need to change the speaker system out too. I drive with all of my windows down too often to deal with the weak stock system. Don't think I'll be planning on changing the head unit out, because I don't want to lose the USB and AUX plugs or especially the bluetooth feature.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 2008 DC Limited and I kept the stock head unit but used a clean sweep to sum the front channels and remove the factory equalization then used an Alpine PXA-H701 to supply the center channel and to equalize the Boston Pros to the cabin and sent the signal to a couple PPI amps. I got a JL Audio stealth box to replace the stock sub. It sounds awesome. The front and rear door speakers are 6.5" and the center channel is a 3.5" infinity kappa. I didn't replace and I'm not using the speakers at the cornerrs of the dask but the 3.5 kappas would probably fit perfectly there. I did all the work myself but this is a fairly complex system and I don't suggest you try it unless you have a fair amount of experience doing installs. Price of the parts was about $3000 and some of them were used.

The bottom line is you can get as good a sound as you want but the better the sound the more it's going to cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many Thanks To Everyone for the "Sound" Advice. Yesterday I Removed The Factory Speakers From Front And Rear Doors. FYI... The Speaker Sizes That Came With My SR-5 (Which Has Radio Model AD 1804) Are As Follows; Front Doors 6"X 9" And Rear Are 6.5". I Popped The Center Grill On Dash To Find That It Was Empty; However There Is A Molded Opening For a Small Speaker. Also Noticed An Un-Used Female Connector In Center Grill Area Coming From Somewhere. Made An Assumption That The Extra Connection Is For The Optional JBL Navigation System. After A Little Research Online, I Decided To Experiment with the Infinity (Model REF9623I) 6 X 9 Three Way in the Front Doors and Infinity (Model: REF6022I) 6.5" Two Way for Rear Doors. I Will Let You Guys Know The Results. Thanks Again...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts