Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm thinking about replacing my existing stock radio (w/ 6 CD changer) on my Tundra 2007 for an aftermarket unit. My goal is to add primarily navigation (GPS), play DVDs and MP3, and add steering wheel controls. Any recommendations/suggestions?

I've seen some reasonably priced (~$500) no name chinese double din unit headers on ebay or web sites, promising a perfect fit as a replacement to the Tundra 2007. However, I'm concern with a few things:
  • Sound quality
  • Easy upgrades (like maps, firmware, etc..)
  • Expansion (add cameras (front/back), steering wheel controls, etc)
  • Last but not least, technical support & warranty
I have been unable to contact users that have purchase those units and can provide valuable feedback. And I'm sure seller's opinions will be very biased.

Evidently I could opt for some expensive unit that perhaps have most of the options I want, but my current budget is limited. Simply put, I can't afford a $1200 unit!!

Any opinions/suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If your gonna spend $500.00 for a head unit, I would go with Alpine or a Kenwood,they make good units for the money you want to spend, look them up on line,Pioneer makes a good one also.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Problem is, none of those 3 manufacturer's offer a DDin w/ Nav option for $500. The cheapest option you'll find in any of the 3 is $699-799 (current model) with Nav. If you want a quality piece, you'll have to save your pennies a bit longer. Unless you manage to get something off e-bay, which I never recommend honestly. Buy local, and buy from one of the 3 brands listed.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i picked up a 5 year old kendwood theft recovery for cheap, and bought all the missing parts from a kenwood dealer. its not the latest and greatest but i am in less than $300 and have gps and backup camera. I like the fact that almost every part is available for it and the instructions are all in english and can be had from local dealers or internet suppliers. I am skeptical of the chinese market ebay stuff...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts