Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 is needing new upper ball joints. Anybody have any suggestions on what brand/duty to use. Is there such a thing as a heavy duty ball joint? Thanks

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Moog aftermarket bj's if you don't go the UCA route.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We suggest using MOOG ball joints. They would be the equivalent to a HD replacement for the stock factory ball joint. When you maximize lift with the installation of aftermarket shocks or spacers your upper ball joint cycles at extreme angles that it was not designed or intended to cycle to. If you decied to go with aftermarket UCA's Total Chaos has a 1" Uniball bolt-on conversion.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]longevity and durability

[/FONT]

·
Registered
31 Posts
What about OEM Brand. I noticed they have the same exact P/N as Moog ball joints. I did purchase a set from ebay for $63 shipped for all four. I have not installed them yet. Has anyone else use the OE Brand? Visually they look beefy!

·
Registered
118 Posts
put ac delco on mine. Hope they hold up.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have 5100 to top notch 2.5 lift on my 4x2 07 tundra and notice extra grease (for lack of a better word) coming from plastic upper A arm area sleaves/boots on both sides.

Is that normal to have it come out a little from plastic area boot ?

I HAVE 900 MILES ON SHOCKS with no off roading and stock size tires.

4X4 SHOP INSTALLED SHOCKS AND SAID THAT ANGLES ARE FINE.

Wish I knew how to send pics.

I did allot of reading before going with 5100 and took truck to 4x4 shop and assured me that it is normal to see that.

It was dry before 5100 install or maybe not so obvious to me.

Other question is that can boot be greased so it wont go dry and if so what king of grease?

Was reading about ball joints only, is that possible on 2007 if uppers wear out, trying to keep price low if after a year I see problems.

PM ME IF ANYONE HAS GOOD IDEA!

·
Supporting Creeper
114 Posts
What about OEM Brand. I noticed they have the same exact P/N as Moog ball joints. I did purchase a set from ebay for $63 shipped for all four. I have not installed them yet. Has anyone else use the OE Brand? Visually they look beefy!
I was on me way here to suggest the exact same ball joint package as you have purchased from ebay....I bought the set of four ball joints OEM brand and installed them a few weeks ago when installing my Bilstein 5100's all the way around. They were a perfect fit and they did seem a bit more heavy duty than the stock ones that I pulled off, but that could of also been from the wear on the stock ones, after all my truck did have around 104K when I put the shocks on.

So far no complaints on my end, they seem to be holding up very well!

All in all I feel they were a good purchase and probably just as good a Moog Brand, the quality of parts seemed to be very good!

The ebay seller that I bought them from was World Suspension

Hope this helps!

I have 5100 to top notch 2.5 lift on my 4x2 07 tundra and notice extra grease (for lack of a better word) coming from plastic upper A arm area sleaves/boots on both sides.

Is that normal to have it come out a little from plastic area boot ?

I HAVE 900 MILES ON SHOCKS with no off roading and stock size tires.

4X4 SHOP INSTALLED SHOCKS AND SAID THAT ANGLES ARE FINE.

Wish I knew how to send pics.

I did allot of reading before going with 5100 and took truck to 4x4 shop and assured me that it is normal to see that.

It was dry before 5100 install or maybe not so obvious to me.

Other question is that can boot be greased so it wont go dry and if so what king of grease?

Was reading about ball joints only, is that possible on 2007 if uppers wear out, trying to keep price low if after a year I see problems.

PM ME IF ANYONE HAS GOOD IDEA!

Anytime you want to grease your ball joints or anything that has a boot and cannot be readily greased via a grease zert then you can get a grease needle. I discovered the grease needle a few years ago, as I had a Tacoma that I had went through 2 carrier bearings on. The carrier bearings were not made greasable via a zert and had a rubber booting around them. The needle solved the problem!

This one is the exact same kind I have (a few different ones are made).

As far as grease goes I use Mobil 1 Lithium Grease similar to this type here.

I generally would grease my drivetrain, bearings etc every 5K miles....

Again I hope this information helps!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was on me way here to suggest the exact same ball joint package as you have purchased from ebay....I bought the set of four ball joints OEM brand and installed them a few weeks ago when installing my Bilstein 5100's all the way around. They were a perfect fit and they did seem a bit more heavy duty than the stock ones that I pulled off, but that could of also been from the wear on the stock ones, after all my truck did have around 104K when I put the shocks on.

So far no complaints on my end, they seem to be holding up very well!

All in all I feel they were a good purchase and probably just as good a Moog Brand, the quality of parts seemed to be very good!

The ebay seller that I bought them from was
World Suspension

Hope this helps!

That is good to hear! I have not installed these yet. I figure its going into a 2wd with no plans to offroad! Can't beat it for the price! Approx $60 shipped for all four!

·
Here for the long haul!!!!
131 Posts
I 2nd the Camburg UCA's they're the best.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
^^^ You can go the cheap way and do it multiple times or do it right the first time and be done with it. Just like 4 wheel drive, you may not use it much but when you do you're glad you have it. Some roads around here are worse then the fire roads up in Tahoe, thats why I went with Camburg, urban wheelin!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts