Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as some of you know, I have a horrible vibration. I got under the truck tonight and checked all bolts, and the driveshaft just so happened to be turned to where I could see a rusty round circle where a weight was.

I really hope this is my problem, and I want to run and buy some wheel weights and throw one on to see if this helps correct the problem, and if it does, I will take it to the machine shop to be balanced.

But I NEED to know what the #s on the weights are. I have 3 weights not including the missing one, 36, 46, and 67. That is the#s on them, that can't be ounces can it? They are so small. The missing one is around the size of the 67.

Any ideas on what these#s mean, and can you convert them to oz?

·
2,444 Posts
I personally don't know what those numbers mean. I do know if I found a spot on the propeller shaft where there looked to be a missing weight I would take it to a shop and have it balanced ASAP. Can't be that costly and most likely will solve the problem... and if not it would eliminate as a possible source. jmho.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Hi,
I don't know about the number coding off the weights but an "old school" trick was to use a normal hose clamp (or two) with the "worn gear" part of the clamp landing in the spot you want to make heavier, it's easy to do and can be loosened and shifted around until you are satisfied with the results. Not a high precision balance job but effective enough to help clear up any doubts about the source of noises or vibrations for very little dough and not much time. Scott

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
But I NEED to know what the #s on the weights are. I have 3 weights not including the missing one, 36, 46, and 67. That is the#s on them, that can't be ounces can it? They are so small. The missing one is around the size of the 67.

Any ideas on what these#s mean, and can you convert them to oz?
The weights (mass) are most probably grams. 1 oz(troy) is approx. 31.1 grams or 1 oz (avdp) is approx 28.34 grams.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts