Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll make this quick (because this story is VERY long)...took truck to dealer a few weeks back to get an alignment....the f** it up....called them on it and spoke to the service manager (bears the same name as the dealership)....he agreed to make it right....took it in today....they made it right and were set according to the infamour "DJ" specs....all was great....drove the 5 miles home....got home noticed the truck seemed to be leaing abit....got underneath and to my suprise noticed TWO obvious things....

sway bar link broken (1st one broke some months ago and I got it replaced).....but I didn't hear anything snap on the way home....I heard the first one

this boot in the picture is shredded!!!...and they tech didn't notice this?????

or did they take their frustration of having to redo my alignment and shred the boot??? (I think so)

so what is this boot dripping all kinds of fluid? power steering or just lube

and BIG question can I at least drive it to and from work tomorrow WITHOUT destroying more components??? I have 22miles to work and 22 back.......

thanks in advance for your help.....

BTW....third pic is of some kind of bushings I found on the passenger floor...look brand spanking new...any idea??

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
i personally wouldnt drive it like that, and i believe its ps fluid, there are seals on the shafts under the boots i think

·
Registered
126 Posts
There are seals on each side. I'm a little confused why they messed with that to realign the truck. I would take it up there as soon as they open and request to talk to the highest up person there and say fix and give me a ride to work. At our dealership, the tech would get his a$$ chewed and probably sanctioned to oil changes and filter changes for at least a week, plus pay for the damage if they don't have Incident Coverage. It's probably leaking power steering fluid and isn't 100% safe to drive. REGARDLESS of what the service writers tell you, tell them it needs to be fixed and you don't want to pay for their mistakes. You were guaranteed it would be fixed, and it isn't

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I've been driving around for a few months with a torn tie rod boot. I just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. I can't believe a tech would shred it out of spite for having to redo it, but if he did he should be fired.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'll throw that part number on the bushing in all tell you what it is/where it goes tomorrow morning when I get to work

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Looks to me like the tech didn't hold the end as he tried to adjust it and wrenched the tie rod breaking the boot. Take it back and have them fix it. Have it towed by the dealer at their expense.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure why he would touch this either but they did tell me originally that one of the "CAMS" was frozen and they couldn't turn it and thats why they didn't hit my specs the first time.....and it doesn't look like anyone touched any of the bolts or suspension....where are these CAMS they are suppose to turn to adjust alignment???

...so is there ANY other explanation why this would be shredded??? did it blow out because they had to remove for some reason and refill the PS fluid and overfilled???....nothing inside there rotates or spins at high rpms does it???....I'm just shocked at thesize of the hole on two sides and figure if it happened in the 5 miles home on flat road I would have heard something......just want to be sure before I become accustorial.....I already accused them of ripping me off on the first alignment....when it took thre hours and the before and after specs were identical and they used the WRONG spec for my truck.....they had the truck ALL day today and had given me a loner car....now I will be asking for a 2nd day and yet another problem.....so is this the only option a vindictive tech??? the receipts say it was the same tech (#394)....

thanks for any insight as to how this could have received this much damage...its not a simple split...its a gaping shredded hole

·
Registered
126 Posts
There's no telling what other damage there is, but if he only aligned it he really **** the bed because a) he would know immediately he destroyed it b) he would know you would figure it out c) he wasn't honest about the mistake which makes it 20x worse. It would have been ok if they told you we are have some trouble aligning it and we need to keep it overnight, but instead they give it back in dangerous driving condition? They are lucky they aren't getting sued. What if you had gotten in an accident due to it?

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I'd go back first thing tomorrow morning and get them to pony up for a replacement steering rack. Toyota doesn't offer a driver's side seal replacment for the steering rack. Only, on the passenger side. If those are seals, they're aftermarket.

They caused my rack to leak, but its only minor, so I didn't bother to make a big stink over it, but yours is pretty damn bad.

If they won't pay for it, get a quote for repair, buy a new dust boot, attach it with hose clamps and take the pictures to court.

Every time I get something done by someone else, I wear an old shirt and crawl right under the truck before I even leave to check it out. May look silly, but can save you pain in the long run.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well I'd definitely report the incident to the owner. Not the son-in-law service manager or whatever with the same name. They were probably talking about one of the cambers, but what is a frozen camber? And if it was frozen and couldn't align then why did they give you your truck back unaligned and charge you for alignment? :noidea: This sounds pretty ridiculous to me. I'd find a different dealer. :td:

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd go back first thing tomorrow morning and get them to pony up for a replacement steering rack. Toyota doesn't offer a driver's side seal replacment for the steering rack. Only, on the passenger side.

They caused my rack to leak, but its only minor, so I didn't bother to make a big stink over it, but yours is pretty damn bad.

If they won't pay for it, get a quote for repair, buy a new dust boot, attach it with hose clamps and take the pictures to court.

Every time I get something done by someone else, I wear an old shirt and crawl right under the truck before I even leave to check it out. May look silly, but can save you pain in the long run.
Believe me I thought about the possibility of retribution...because I wrote a 4 page letter to the owner of the dealership about the 1st alignment incident and thought as the owner he'd make damn sure things were done to perfection since I talked with him on the phone and he offered to give my money back & bring it back in and let them make it right..which I just did today.....well it looks like they f** me again (jury still out- want to make sure no other possibility before I go ranting tomorrow morning)

I wanted to know if I could drive it because I'd love to drive over there tonight and see if there is a big fluid stain in the parking spot right in front of their entrance where my truck was parked when I picked it up....then I can take a photo and prove it happened there.....so all you think it might be safe to drive tonight or just go there tomorrow???

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I'd definitely report the incident to the owner. Not the son-in-law service manager or whatever with the same name. They were probably talking about one of the cambers, but what is a frozen camber? And if it was frozen and couldn't align then why did they give you your truck back unaligned and charge you for alignment? :noidea: This sounds pretty ridiculous to me. I'd find a different dealer. :td:
Well that is exactly what my letter to the owner stated and he called and wanted to make it right with me....so I gave them the second chance today....it appears they blew it...so that is just a dust boot??? it is not suppose to be completely filled with fluid??

·
Registered
126 Posts
I wouldn't drive that unless I had to go the hospital to tell you the truth. Thats just me. I just called one of my friends, a team 3 tech and he said its virtually impossible that happened from alignment. Where did you go to the the first broken link fixed and did you have the truck towed?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well that is exactly what my letter to the owner stated and he called and wanted to make it right with me....so I gave them the second chance today....it appears they blew it...so that is just a dust boot??? it is not suppose to be completely filled with fluid??
correct, thats a dust boot, no fluid in there, the fluid is in behind the seal on the chrome shaft, but if dust/ dirt gets in, it will rip the seal thats inside, causing all your ps fluid to **** out

·
Registered
126 Posts
No that one isn't completely filled but there are seals and if they are leaking, you could be leaking ps fluid. The tech said a lot of that could be grease from the hub and bearing and/or ps fluid. Hard to tell. And you gotta remember, some owners put down the phone and roll their eyes because they know they won't be aligning it or dealing with an unsatisfied customer. If you drive it, you are doing more harm than good. It's your call on taking it to the dealership tomorrow or getting a wrecker though. I'd take it nice and slow if you do decide to drive it back. Don't want to risk blowing a lower control arm.. No telling what they did during alignment but it would take something severe to do that. The tech I talked to said like rock climbing or a wrecker hook or those big black trays that grab the front axles and what not. Wreckers are called wreckers to me because they can tear your car UP. Especially axles and stuff like that

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldn't drive that unless I had to go the hospital to tell you the truth. Thats just me. I just called one of my friends, a team 3 tech and he said its virtually impossible that happened from alignment. Where did you go to the the first broken link fixed and did you have the truck towed?
The 1st swaybar link I noticed one day when I crawled under the truck in my driveway....and looked at both sides and both boots were fine....I drove it myself and had it replaced at the same dealership....they just replaced the broken one and left the one that apparently just broke now...

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
From the pics, it looks like your rack is already leaking from other places anyway, and there's no way to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt how your boot got mangled. So, walking in throwing blame around isn't going to get you anywhere.

Go in, calmly present your case, and see what they will do for you. You're going to be much happier in the long run if you can get both parties on the same side of the fence.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll throw that part number on the bushing in all tell you what it is/where it goes tomorrow morning when I get to work
found it in a Google search (apparently a 1998 T100

PNC Description Part No. ProductionDate Model
48210GBUSH(FOR REAR SPRING SHACKLE LOWER) 90385-18016 1995.08-1998.07RCK10, VCK11, 21

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Not sure why he would touch this either but they did tell me originally that one of the "CAMS" was frozen and they couldn't turn it and thats why they didn't hit my specs the first time.....and it doesn't look like anyone touched any of the bolts or suspension....where are these CAMS they are suppose to turn to adjust alignment???
The "CAMS" are the aluminum camber/caster bolts on the front and rear of the control arm attaching it to the frame. You can see the one in front just below the rip in the boot. If they are frozen, they are supposed to be replaced otherwise you run the risk that the rubber bushings the camber/caster bolts slides through could get torn when loosened or tightened. (See pics below).

Personally, I don't believe the DJ spec adjustment is a good thing unless you know you won't run into frozen camber/caster bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Many times, part numbers are identical for multiple vehicles. Air filters (17801), oil filters (90915), timing belts (13568), drive belts (90915, 99365, 99364, etc.) use the same first 5 numbers and change by car. Could have been random bushings for another repair order but I will double check the Toyota database to make sure. And they must have replaced the bushing in the camber. It's part of one of the aligning bolts so without it your truck wouldn't drive right at all. Just be glad you have 22,000 miles and they should be able to warranty the repair, at least I would hope for you. Again, there's no telling what else is messed up. Agreed with the same fence principle. Honestly, it would be hard for either of you to have done that lol. It's very uncommon and strange, but problems with the sway link could have caused a weakness in the other link.. no telling man.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts