Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read quite extensively about this adapter on TS.com and decided to give it a go. I won't bore you with the details of hooking it up to the port on the back of the stereo, as this has been discussed before with great pictures that really helped me out.

I decided to run the cable from the back of the stereo under the center console and mount the white USA Spec (PA12-TOY) box under the cup holders. This is a pretty good location because it doesn't take but two seconds to remove the cup holder portion to access the unit itself and change dip switch settings or add a pair of RCA's to the other side. I think I will do this in the next few months, and place a set of female RCA plugs in one of the switch blanks in the front of the console for the kids DVD player or something.

I ran the cable into the storage portion of the console and then up to the small compartment. I took the small compartment apart and routed the cable to the front and drilled a hole there to route the cable through. Only bummer is you have to drill a hole big enough to run the end of the cable through, which is much larger than the cable itself.

The iPod is attached to the lid of the small compartment with velcro and sits very nice, in great view of both the driver and passenger. I thought about removing the paper clip dealie, but decided to keep it for now. Maybe it will go bye-bye if I get a larger iPod someday. I will try to take some better pictures in daylight tomorrow.

The USA Spec unit is a fantastic addition to the stock stereo. It works wonderfully - I couldn't be happier.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
JBL or non JBL Stereo? Does the changer still work? I have the jBL and plan on this mod too. How do you like it so far?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would be interested in seeing some pictures of how you routed it in the lower compartment. I'm interested in doing this same install. Right now I have mine coming up out of that small coin holder on the outside of the center console.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I installed the USA Spec auxiliary input and I have the JBL 6 disc and everything works fine

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some better photos of the cable route and location.

I removed the black trim around the bottom of the hinged storage compartment and routed the cable through there. I had to drill a hole in the bottom of this black trim for the cable to go through. I then drilled a hole in the compartment itself but this hole is behind the black trim once it is put back together.

The cable then comes down and into the main compartment. I didn't quite know what to do at this point because I didn't have quite enough cable to route it through the back of the compartment, under and then forward to the control box. Plus I didn't want to create all sorts of cable bends in the hinge area that could be damaging to the cable itself every time I opened the compartment. You'll understand this once you get involved in the project. What I ended up with looks a heck-of-a-lot better than the pictures show. Would I have liked to route the cable a bit more neatly in the main bin? For sure. But this works great for now and isn't really that bothersome because I have stuff in the bin now that makes hiding the cable a moot point.

The stereo (JBL 6 disk) works great. All you do is press the mode button on the steering wheel and it cycles through iPod, AM, FM, FM2, CD and back to iPod. I took a movie of this but it was 81 mb (why canon can't make a smaller movie format I don't know) so I couldn't upload that. Oh and it even pauses the iPod when you select another source and unpauses it when you go back to the iPod source. The steering wheel buttons work the iPod just as advertised. You need to select the album from the iPod, but once there the arrows on the steering wheel cycle through the songs.

I forgot to mention - the new PA12-TOY has the text function where it displays artist and song title on the radio. You have to be in the playlist mode of the USA Spec unit though.

IMHO this is a must have for a car stereo these days. Why the factory does not do this makes no sense to me. But then again I wouldn't have the satisfaction of doing something like this if they did, now would I?

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'll just add my .02 to this - I installed this unit about 2 months ago and couldn't be happier. I integrated it into the top notepad storage compartment in the center console - my video iPod and wiring is all hidden. I routed the wire behind the radio, under the center console and up through the storage compartment of the console using a progressive drill bit.

Click here and go to post #12 - that's my iPod countersunk into a piece of aircraft-grade foam.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/80054-2006-ipod-tundra-double-cab-base/

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
Here's the permalink to take you directly to your post SportRallyFiveSpeed: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/80054-2006-ipod-tundra-double-cab-base-2/#post567941
Nice custom foam cutting. :tu:
FWIW, to get the permalink that takes you straight to a specific post, click on the "Permalink" link in the upper right corner of any post, and the URL field changes to one for that post.

About that bummer of a hole roxysdad, any hardware store should stock wire grommets in a variety of sizes and colors to hide the large holes necessary for plugs. Here's a really big example: Flexible Grommet, 2-3/8"
Sweet iPod installation! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, you do! I wish I would have seen your pictures before I started my install. I like your position better - right under the tray it looks like to me.

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts