Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Sequoia with factory JBL 6disc changer and rear entertainment unit (RSE). I am trying to install the USA SPEC PA15TOY ipod interface and can't get it working right. I intalled it (per included intstructions and Crutchfield supplement) to the back of the CD changer and it worked for about 2 minutes. After that, the iPod shows it's charging and looks like it's connected, but the car stereo doesn't register that it's there. After a month of contacting crutchfield and USA SPEC and trying a second unit, I'm still at this point. The guy at USA SPEC just told me that I was an idiot and didn't know what I was doing, then he said that I had to hook it up to the DVD not the CD changer, but he wouldn't tell me anything more about how to do it! Crutchfield said that didn't make sense and gave me an RMA for the thing instead. After more research, I found an application guide for it that says"Connect @ radio. *If the vehicle has RSE, connect PA15/20-TOY @ ECU". Even though I'm mad that this info was not provided by either USA SPEC or Crutchfield with the installation instructions and I have been insulted by the "support" at USA SPEC, I really want my iPod in the car so I'm still trying to make this work. Does anyone else have this thing working in their Sequoia? If so, how? What is the ECU, where is it and how do I hook this up to it? I had no problem with installing it using the CD changer, but this is a step beyond what I know.

·
Registered
354 Posts
On the left side, side with Radio output, there should be 2 tiny switches marked 1 and 2. Try switching both of them to "off" and if that doesn't work, try different combinations of on/off until your Ipod detects the stereo signal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to clarify, I think the iPod is detecting the stereo signal, it's the stereo that's not detecting the ipod signal.

For the switches - Do you mean left side on the back of the stereo or on the adapter unit or somewhere else? Will changing these switches affect my rear DVD? I have 3 kids and would have WW3 if I lost their movies.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just to clarify, I think the iPod is detecting the stereo signal, it's the stereo that's not detecting the ipod signal.

For the switches - Do you mean left side on the back of the stereo or on the adapter unit or somewhere else? Will changing these switches affect my rear DVD? I have 3 kids and would have WW3 if I lost their movies.
The dip switches should be on the USA Spec adapter. The reason I suggested adjusting the switches is because I had issues with the one connected to my VW through the changer input. Following the USA Spec directions for my particular car, my Ipod screen would just show that it's charging with no audio or functions. After playing around with it and setting both switches to "off", it now works fine and I can use the steering wheel buttons, stereo buttons, or Ipod to control functions. If that doesn't work and you can't resolve the issue, try using one like I have for my Sequoia from PIE. They have good customer support.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. You've been more helpful than the CS at USA SPEC by far! I'll take a look for the switches. I know we played around with the dip switches that were mentioned in the manual already, but I didn't look for any others. Just in case this doesn't work- what unit do you have from PIE? Do you have the RSE working with it? Do you have it hooked to the back of the CD changer or somewhere else?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks. You've been more helpful than the CS at USA SPEC by far! I'll take a look for the switches. I know we played around with the dip switches that were mentioned in the manual already, but I didn't look for any others. Just in case this doesn't work- what unit do you have from PIE? Do you have the RSE working with it? Do you have it hooked to the back of the CD changer or somewhere else?
I don't have an RSE so I don't have info for that. My PIE adapter was put in several years ago, also from Crutchfield, so I don't remember which model but you can check their site to see which one you need. You'll probably need an Ipod version opposed to the RCA version I have. I don't use an Ipod in my Sequoia, have a Kenwood Keg hard drive instead & a DVD player connected to the 2 RCA inputs on the adapter which then feeds to the stereo's CD changer input. The CD button on the stereo switches the 2 sources.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts