Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have this issue? I purchase Crutchfield item #581PA11TOY - USASPEC ipod adaptor and it worked great. However, when I had it installed, the tech at Best Buy told me that the connection from the adaptor didn't connect very well to the back of the stock head unit. He said it was somewhat loose and that it almost fell out when he was putting the head unit back in.

Well, I tried it, and again, it worked great at first, but now my ipod won't play or charge. My guess is that the wire harness disconnected so I'm bringing it back to Best Buy tonight. Any suggestions I should give the tech? My first thought is a little piece of tape to keep the plug in place.

Head unit is stock JBL 6 disc changer

deanno

·
Registered
355 Posts
tape sounds good to me...

I have a modded Xbox and the chip for that is held in by plastic tubes and tape...so I'm thinking tape for a carstereo connection isn't a bad thing

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used to have the usaspec PA10toy ipod adapter for my 03 4Runner and I did work fine for a couple months and then it seemed to kill the battery on my ipod. It would turn the ipod off after the iginion was turned off. For my 05 Tacoma, I bought on Ebay the Dennice Ice Link ($2.50........Yes $2.50 with shipping it totaled $25) and it is way better then the USASpec. You don't have to label your playlist TOYOTA before your playlist and it actually displays the title on your head unit.

I would use a small amount of hot glue to attach the plug to your head unit. That way you can remove it without any damage.

Cheers

·
Registered
355 Posts
you know...i didn't think about this with my last post...but I just installed (as of about 4 days ago) the ipod adapter made by peripheal or something...got it at best buy for about 100 bucks. Works great in my girlfriends celica...anyway

I just thought I would throw that out there...and o yah...make sure to get the ipod specific one and not just the general adapter...the ipod specific one charges your ipod and has auto shut off turn on features...really a great product.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay...another issue. It seems that every once in a while this happens. My iPod is playing just great through the stereo (using the usa spec interface) and then it just stops and hte radio kicks on. I try to switch back to the ipod but it won't play. Then, I stop the truck, turn the truck off, put the key back in and start the truck and the iPod then starts working again?

Ideas? Still a loose connection?

Dang...I really though a direct connect interface would be simple.
deanno

·
Registered
355 Posts
i don't have any thoughts or suggestions for you on your particular interface as I'm not familiar with it...

I mentioned that i installed something in my girlfriends car...turns out it was the ipod2car solution made by peripheral...so my thoughts would be that if you can still exchange the USASPEC one pick up an ipod2car and don't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the usa spec.

it worked great for a while, then died. i called crutchfield and they said call usaspec. i called usa spec and got a person who did not know much english. then she gave me the number for her boss, who said and i quote loosely---"I don't care about your problem"

not appreciating the answer, i called crutchfield back and they sent me a replacement, overnight.

it works most of the time but does not always shut off when the truck does, causing the ipod to keep playing and the battery to discharge.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Reading on line reviews turned up a bunch of people having problems with the USA SPEC adapter - people seem a lot happier with the Peripheral - that is what I'm getting.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the exact same thing when I called Crutchfield. They seemed helpful, but wanted me to call usa spec...I did and I couldn't understand the gentleman on the phone...one thing I could understand is that he wasn't going to help me with the problem. So, I'll be calling Crutchfield back today. Crutchfield did tell me that the Toy adapter has changed and they are waiting on the new stock...therefore, none in stock at the moment.

If anyone is buying usa spec...careful, and at least wait til the new mods come out.
deanno

I have the usa spec.

it worked great for a while, then died. i called crutchfield and they said call usaspec. i called usa spec and got a person who did not know much english. then she gave me the number for her boss, who said and i quote loosely---"I don't care about your problem"

not appreciating the answer, i called crutchfield back and they sent me a replacement, overnight.

it works most of the time but does not always shut off when the truck does, causing the ipod to keep playing and the battery to discharge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts