Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard the trd filter cleaning kit(for use on the filter in my trd CAI) should have many uses, but I am almost half way through the bottle of oil and have waited 3 days for it to spread/wick and there's still a ton of pink showing (clean filter is pink, oil is yellow and instructions say to add oil anywhere that hasn't changed color).

I know you don't want to over oil it and foul MAF sensor, but also don't want dirt going through. I applied it with just one pass per ridge on the outside of the filter and stopped each pass 3/4" from top and bottom per instructions and 2 days later, the yellow still hadn't spread all the way to the edge so i added a bit more and still lots of pink around the filter AND, when i look from the inside, there's still tons of pink! this is not a clear process and i don't want dust getting through! Any help would be great?!?!?! :):):)

As a side note, I clean my dirt bike air filters with no-toil spray all the time without issues. An aerosol would be great, but is there one for the trd oil? Oh, and I am running a paper filter until i get this where i feel comfortable.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
thats one reason i hate oiled filters anymore. too much will gunk stuff up..too little will make it useless....and its so hard to get it just right

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
When I clean and oil my filters, I oil them from the incoming air side. When applying the oil I place the filter on a paper towel and spray more from a distance letting the filter soak in the oil on it's own. One thing really important to mention is the filter needs to by as dry as possible when oiling it back up, otherwise the remaining moisture in the element will repel the oil and it won't soak in well enough. Doing it this way I've never had an issue with a contaminated MAF sensor and the filter seems to do it's job well looking at some of the UOAs I've done.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would seem very hard to oil this trd filter from the inside(hard to get it consistent, even on the outside where you can see whare ur doing) and the oil doesn't come in an aerosol, right? I left it by a vent to dry overnight. If it was still wet, the moisture would still evaporate after a while and then the oil would still wick, right?

Basically, I'd like to know if anyone is successful with oiling the trd toyota filter with the liquid oil(or which aeresol is toyota approved) and how much of a bottle does it take cause I'm at half a bottle and there's still pink! :(

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I'm sure you can use the aerosol K&N oil, since both filters are made from the same material. I've accidentally used the K&N oil on an AFE filter before and it didn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I recently reoiled my conical TRD filter with the yellow TRD oil. The filter was thoroughly cleaned and allowed to dry overnight. The clean dry gauze color was just a slight shade of pink as I recall. The TRD instructions are not clear on exactly how much oil to use, and as such, I just squirted oil everywhere until it felt right. This used almost half a bottle of the yellow oil which turned out to be too much. The properly oiled and wicked filter should be an even shade of light yellow, but mine had orange blotches everywhere on top of the light yellow, even after several days wicking. I rewashed the filter, dried it overnight once again, and reoiled using just a hair over one quarter of the bottle of yellow TRD oil. This time after wicking a couple days it was an even shade of light yellow everywhere with no orange blotches. :tu:

FWIW I have it directly from TRD that you can use the red K&N aerosol to reoil the TRD conical filter, after cleaning and drying of course, but now that I know how much TRD yellow to use, I will stick to the TRD yellow.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Creosote, what did u do differently to use less yellow oil and get more even coverage? I have used half a bottle and I was very careful about oiling an even strip on each exterior fold and it is still pretty blotchy and light pink all over and when i look from the inside of the cone, it's totally pink. And did you oil from in or outside of the cone? Thanks and hopefully we can get a few more data points on this as a lot of people have these. Thanks much!!!

-oh, neither local dealer here had a clue as they have never oiled one. Also, since it has a rigid screen around it, you can't feel the cloth (someone mentioned it felt right). Thanks again.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
All I did was place two lines of oil on the outside of the gauze, moving the bottle in the azimuthal direction as the oil was dispensed. Each line formed a complete circle around the periphery of the filter. One line was about one third of the way between the top of the cone and the square base of the cone. The other line was about two thirds of the way between the top and base. When I was done, a little more than one quarter of the yellow bottle was used.

If you are still seeing red (pink) with that much oil (half a bottle) I suspect you may not have cleaned it properly. They come from TRD with red oil, and if enough of that oil remained after cleaning, it might explain why you cannot get the color change. Red is naturally darker than yellow, so it would take tons of yellow to overshadow the red. After my filter was clean and dry, it was barely pink. Mostly white with just a bit of pink....easy for the yellow color to "take over" from the light pink when the TRD oil was added.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could have the answer, cause my filter was still pink after cleaning even though all the black gunk was gone. I cleaned like the instructions say, soak for 10 minutes and I even used my kitchen sprayer to rinse it even though it said don't use pressure. I guess I will clean it again and try to get it closer to white before applying oil.

Im a little confused by the azimuthal direction. I googled, it, but still confused ;) so you made two rings around the cone, splitting it in 3rds? Straight line or some kind of zig zags as you went or ? :) Thanks again.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Remember the original Exorcist movie from the early '70s. Linda Blair's head spun in the azimuthal direction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts