Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
32,667 Posts
I recently reoiled my conical TRD filter with the yellow TRD oil. The filter was thoroughly cleaned and allowed to dry overnight. The clean dry gauze color was just a slight shade of pink as I recall. The TRD instructions are not clear on exactly how much oil to use, and as such, I just squirted oil everywhere until it felt right. This used almost half a bottle of the yellow oil which turned out to be too much. The properly oiled and wicked filter should be an even shade of light yellow, but mine had orange blotches everywhere on top of the light yellow, even after several days wicking. I rewashed the filter, dried it overnight once again, and reoiled using just a hair over one quarter of the bottle of yellow TRD oil. This time after wicking a couple days it was an even shade of light yellow everywhere with no orange blotches. :tu:

FWIW I have it directly from TRD that you can use the red K&N aerosol to reoil the TRD conical filter, after cleaning and drying of course, but now that I know how much TRD yellow to use, I will stick to the TRD yellow.

· Registered
32,667 Posts
All I did was place two lines of oil on the outside of the gauze, moving the bottle in the azimuthal direction as the oil was dispensed. Each line formed a complete circle around the periphery of the filter. One line was about one third of the way between the top of the cone and the square base of the cone. The other line was about two thirds of the way between the top and base. When I was done, a little more than one quarter of the yellow bottle was used.

If you are still seeing red (pink) with that much oil (half a bottle) I suspect you may not have cleaned it properly. They come from TRD with red oil, and if enough of that oil remained after cleaning, it might explain why you cannot get the color change. Red is naturally darker than yellow, so it would take tons of yellow to overshadow the red. After my filter was clean and dry, it was barely pink. Mostly white with just a bit of pink....easy for the yellow color to "take over" from the light pink when the TRD oil was added.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.