Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done with the V-LEDS mod (most of it anyway). I have a couple of questions for those who have already done this.

First, when I placed my order on-line last week, I used the Vehicle Specific option at the bottom of the page so all the LED style/part numbers were already pre-determined. All I did was selected what I wanted for the area/part of the vehicle I want to mod.

Now. . . ..

1. For the license plate, I was sent V-LEDS HID WHITE 4 M-SMT 2W HIGH POWER BULBS 194 168 158, which is same LED as the one for the map and dome lights. With this style, the LEDs point downward. For the license plate, when you use this style, the LEDs are pointing away from the lens (to be exact, perpendicular to the lens away from the rear of the vehicle toward the black plastic cover), so you do not get the full LED brightness or effect. It's still bright, but not as bright as could be if the LEDs were pointing toward the lens. Which LED did you use for your license plate area?? I personally think for the license plate, this is what you should use 2 HID 6K WHITE SMT 5 LED LIGHT BULBS 194 168 158 2821 but I am waiting for a confirmation from V-LEDS.

2. It was late when I got to the glove box, which looked a little complicated -- so I decided to put if off for tomorrow. . . ..but can someone tell me the easiest way to get to the glove box bulb without tearing out the entire dashboard? :)

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Like you, I left the glove box for last. It was a real PITA -- Hopefully you're success will be faster than mine. I finally ended up putting electrical tape around the end of very long needle nose pliers and pulled out the bulb and used the same technique to get the led in.

GOOD LUCK !!!

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
I think I used the flat bulb for the license plate. I know I used them in the doors. Its a 6led flat board. I can pull one tomorrow and check.

The glove box, I don't remember, but I probably just used needle nose pliers gingerly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like you, I left the glove box for last. It was a real PITA -- Hopefully you're success will be faster than mine. I finally ended up putting electrical tape around the end of very long needle nose pliers and pulled out the bulb and used the same technique to get the led in.
I think I used the flat bulb for the license plate. I know I used them in the doors. Its a 6led flat board. I can pull one tomorrow and check.

The glove box, I don't remember, but I probably just used needle nose pliers gingerly.
I thought about using needle nose pliers but was afraid with my GI Joe grip, I might break the bulb and end up with a more complicated mess in my hands. . . ..but let me try that tonight. Crossing my fingers.

Also, the bulbs for the cargo lights took some force and rocking to seat, and I don't even think they're fully seated (or didn't feel like they were). I just didn't want them to come loose. Were your cargo LEDs insertion felt the same way? Just curious. . . ..

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
I think they were. You just have to give them a shove.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
the glove box light is alot easier to get to then you think. if you've changed your air filter do the same thing(if not look in your owners manual, really easy), and then if you play around the light your able to remove it in a way. I just got it loose took the light out replaced it, then put it back together.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a 2010 DC and I don't have a glove box light. :confused: I've got all the other interior bulbs changed, but I have the 1 extra for the glove box. Are there certain models that have lights in the box?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I used the bulbs los211 posted and they work best.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I haven't had a chance to look at the stock bulbs and I think I'm ready to do the whole interior. I'd like to do the following:

Map lights
Dome
Doors
Plates

Given the above, how many LEDs do I need to purchase? All these different numbers are confusing the heck out of me. I know 168 is the # for ll the above, but which LED replacement? Are they all the same LED for the above listed applications?

·
Registered
16 Posts
After an extensive research thru out the forums I replaced my interior lights with v-Leds and this are the ones that I used:
Plates V-LEDS Part ID: 194_4_RB_W_6K
Map\Dome\Doors V-LEDS Part ID: 194_4_HPF_W_6K ( Flank style )
Driver\glove box V-LEDS Part ID: 74_3_W
For the dome light no need to removed the metal plate, push it up and insert the flank led.
All lights work perfectly, no complains.
Also want to say thanks to BlackonBlack fot the 15% coupon code NWMOTIV

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone tried to replace the bulb under the rearview mirror and the little one above the cup holder? They are amber and I really want white! I haven't seen any talk of that mod!

Thanks! Neil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts