Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can confirm that the V-Leds Triton V3 switchbacks are a straight drop in replacement for our Tundras with factory DRL. Attached are a few pics. Sorry it took so long, but it's been raining here for days so I ran out a snapped pics between rain showers. Tried to get a few different comparisons, but none came out really well. These should at lease hold you over for now and help put you at ease knowing these bulbs work with our DRL's, the 5k switchback is not yellowish in color, and no resistor is needed if just changing the front turn signal/DRL bulb (haven't changed back so cannot confirm if resistor needed if changing front and rear signals to Triton V3's). As a tip...I found the best output for the bulb was achieved by screwing the bulb as far in the housing as possible because that got the output of the bulb in the closest position to the stock 3157 bulb that our trucks come with. Install was fairly easy and should take roughly 15 minutes (depending on skill level). Please let me know if you want any other shots or anything specific. I have a could videos I shot, but didn't load them up because the glare and color of lit bulbs didn't come out well. I'll try to shoot another one of better quality in a couple days and load that up so you guys can see what the bulbs look like in action.

Pros: Bright led with nice color, lifetime warranty, V-Leds has great customer service and stands behind their products, bulbs have multiple base options so you could use them in different locations and transfer to different vehicles if needed, no resistor needed if just changing front signal/DRL.

Cons: Expensive, instructions could be better (universal instructions don't show you which holes to screw into bulb housing when attaching adapter collar), lots of connections and components to install 1 pair of bulbs, plug and play resistor box is very large (if you have to use it), and wire leads are too short to be able to zip tie or mount the switchback or resistor boxes in any location.

V-Leds Triton V3 setup - 3157CK harness connected to V-Leds switchback control box and that is connected to the bulb.

V-Leds Triton V3 on left and orange incadescent (stock bulb) on right. Both on signal setting with hazard lights on.

V-Leds Triton V3 on left and orange incadescent (stock bulb) on right. Both on DRL setting with parking lights on.

V-Leds Triton V3 on left and clear/white incadescent on right. Both on DRL setting with parking lights on. Used a clear bulb in this pic instead of the stock orange bulb so you could see the color difference in the output of the bulbs and show the 5k switchback isn't yellowish in output.

UPDATE:
I just exchanged the 5k gen 1 kit for the 6k gen 2 kit and installed it today. Pleased with the upgrades on the gen 2 kit that make for an overall better system (longer lead wires, better connectors, and easier install due to improved load resistor box). Should be a 15 minute install for most. Below are attached pics of the new packaging and with passenger side installed for reference and also with 6k hid lights on in low beam and fog lights.

20130730_182940.jpg

20130730_183003.jpg

20130730_184615.jpg

20130730_184533.jpg

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Updated the post after installing the new Gen2 Triton V3 switchbacks from V-Leds.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update again - The Gen2 kit is now on backorder again and the kit I installed keeps blowing my 15amp fuse that controls exterior lights. Found out last night because I only had my low beams working. After trouble shooting by swapping Triton bulbs and control boxes back and forth between driver and passenger sides I'm guessing it might be due to a faulty control box. Jake at V-Leds is sending me out a replacement control box today (great service) and I'll update if that corrects the problem or if this system is now not friendly with our DRL systems on our Tundras. Should have replacement control box and be able to update you guys by Tuesday.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts