Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advise on choosing a truck for towing. Next month I will be moving from eastern Kentucky to Las Vegas, and before I leave KY, I want to buy a new truck that will capable of towing a 3500lb U-haul trailer during the long-distance move. Once settling in Las Vegas, I will be towing a 3500lb trailer on occassion. Since there is only a marginal price difference between the V6 Tacoma and the V6 Tundra, I am considering either a) a 2007 V6 4x2 Tacoma Pre-Runner access cab with a towing package, or b) a baseline 2007 V6 4x2 Tundra regular cab without a tow package. I slightly prefer the Tacoma because of its less spartan features, but I am very concerned about the ability of the Tacoma to pull a 3500lb trailer for an extended period of time at high altitudes and extreme temperatures. Do you believe that the aforescribed Tacoma would be able to pull the trailer without substantial wear to the vehicle and without compromising safety, or do you believe that the Tundra is the best option? Thanks.

·
Registered
666 Posts
As Far as power goes, they have the same Engine but the Tacoma is much lighter so I would give the Tacoma a slight edge there. If it was between the V6 Tacoma and the 4.7 V8 Tundra, I would go with the Tundra. The V6 Tacoma has a higher towing capacity then the V6 Tundra. Both will be able to handle a 3,500 lb trailer with ease. I Tow a 1967 FJ40 w/ trailer it weighs in pretty close to 6,000 lbs. The Tacoma can pull this weight in high altitude and on steep hills with out to much trouble. I have towed to the Rubicon (Tahoe) up pretty steep grades at and high altitude with out dropping below 60, and that is as fast as I would want to go on highway 50 with a 6,000 lb trailer. I am usually in 4th gear w/ the occaisonal drop to 3rd to pass a slow moving semi. The longest trip I have made while towing was 400 miles, no problem at all. For what the Tacoma is, it is a great do it all truck. I chose the Tacoma over the Tundra because I didn't want to wait for the 07's and I figured the Tacoma would be a better daily driver for me. As much as I love my Tacoma though, I do droll over the 5.7 liter V8 from time to time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 2007 Tacoma 4.0L V6 Access or Double cab with towing package is rated at 6500 lbs Toyota Tacoma - Truck Specs: Auto and Engine Specifications

Toyota towing package for the Tacoma is -- Class-4 towing hitch, transmission oil cooler (automatic transmission models), supplemental engine oil cooler, heavy-duty battery, 130-amp alternator and 7-pin connector with converter

Now my question is I have a 2007 Tacoma 4.0L Double cab without a towing package. Has anyone add the above items to their truck, does someone make a transmission oil cooler kit? The hitch 7-pin connector can be added by any 3rd party vendor, don't need the 130 amp alternator.

In my opinion Toyota should not ever sell a Tacoma without the towing package.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i would recomended the v6 or v8 tundra, 4x4 if you want ot town the right load. the truck is a real man truck. :tu:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts