Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my truck for a month now and I have quite a bit of valve chatter. This is very pronounced in cool weather. Is this normal, if not what can I do about it?:beatsme: 2002 v-8 ac.

Thanks,
hoki :ts:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Same with mine. The colder it is, the louder it clatters. It shuts up when the motor is fully warm. I guess that's the drawback from not having hydraulic lifters.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Pretty common complaint when they are cold. Not umcommon to get a little under hard acceleration as well. There have been other posts here about it and I think the concensus is that some chatter is normal till it is warm.

·
Registered
204 Posts
IIRC the manual has a valve clearance spec. I f concerned You could always run the valves and ensure yours are set on the minimum side of the mfgr specification.

I find it odd just how out of date many asects of the 4.7 is.

Timing belt

non hydraulic "lifters"

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Could be a cracked header. Stock headers are notorious for cracking and creating a tapping sound almost like a diesel - particularly on cold mornings.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Could be a cracked header. Stock headers are notorious for cracking and creating a tapping sound almost like a diesel - particularly on cold mornings.
Yup. I thought mine was cracked but it turned out that the gaskets were leaking. What resulted as a "ticking" sound that went away as soon as it started to warm up.

Once the metal got warm enough the metal expanded enough to close up that tiny gap in the gaskets.

Your valves may be just fine. I would suggest just getting headers now......you know, so you don't have to deal with the sound anymore ;)

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Not valves...it's the clearance in the engine, like Moose said. Once it's warm, no noise.

Take a look through the old threads in the forum, it's been discussed an awful lot, as piston knock, diesel sound, etc...unfortunately, there really isn't a fix, you just have to deal with it if your engine does it, and let the truck warm up in cold weather.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts